New Lamy Pen Model: The Lamy Aion

Astronymus

I got mine black in extrafine nib recently. It's a good pen for the price. The only thing I don't like is that the cap rotates freely. And yes EF is an European EF, tad wide.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• KKay

• Calabria

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

aion was/is my first fountain pen, acquired about a week ago now. I joined up here and, not knowing my way around, put up a mini review in the 'First Stop' on the 4th.

I know a week's useage, from a first time noob, isn't much to go on...but I have definitely formed a strong opinion on the pen. I have the black/M. I love how it writes, very smooth full line, which suits me. Essentially no line variation. Have run 3 different inks through it

-started with Diamine Royal Blue - excellent, wet, superb flow

-went to Private Reserve Ebony Brown, pen HATED it, skips, non starts, etc.

-now Diamine Arabian Nights Shimmering, pen likes it well, but not as full and flowing as the Royal Blue.

I didn't notice in the shop, but my cap definitely rattles and spins very freely. I like to use a pen posted, and the cap really doesn't want to post - it requires VERY firm pressure to get it stuck on stably, and I feel like I'm going to wreck the seal inside in short order. If I don't get it firmly ON, it moves around and even will come off if I'm moving around with it in hand. This issue alone is going to result in my passing it on to one of my kids as soon as some other stuff I have on the way lands.

Love the aesthetics, including the weight, the textures of the body and the grip, and the spare utilitarian look. All right up my alley. Grip is a little wide, but that's going to be the case with most fountains after writing 50 years with ballpoints and the past 10 with uni-ball Signo 0.7s, which I love. I know time will fix that, and even in a week I am much more comfortable with the aion.

That damned cap, I tell you.

I know a week's useage, from a first time noob, isn't much to go on...but I have definitely formed a strong opinion on the pen.

Your opinion does matter. You might be a newbie now, but don't let that fact discourage you!

:W2FPN:

Thank you for the kind words, V.

I'm in my 50's, and know what I like and dislike, so I wasn't afraid or discouraged to 'write' about my experience :) I just put the noob part in as sort of full disclosure, there's a lot of excellent knowledge and experience around here, and I'm willing to take a step back or think again if someone tells me I may have put a foot wrong ;)

The black model was a Christmas present for me, and I'm very happy with it.

Mine doesn't have the rattle (unless I shake it violently by the cap).

I understand that the standard Lamy nib will fit, but any idea when the Aion nibs will start being sold separately?

I haven't shaken my pen violently by the cap yet and don't intend to.

I thought I'd get tired of the pen after a while but the opposite is true. Getting used to the size and the slippery section, it's surprisingly fun to write with. The nib is kind of amazing: an F that writes like an Aurora F. Same "nail" and width, but wetter and smoother. Really quite fun, and not at all like my Safari Petrol F. I think Lamy did an amazing job at making a precision tip. Maybe these nibs are made in a different, newer machine?

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I've worked out the cap problem is not really an issue unless you like shaking your pen alot to see if it rattles - the shake is minimal on mine. It's down to the cap sealing/click design. The slight ridge on the front of the pen, by the nib, it to lock in to the inner plastic cap. Problem is this means there's a slight gap at the cap opening, hence the ability to rattle. Key thing for me is after several months, with the pen going for a week or two at a time without being used, I've suffered no observable evaporation, so the deal/closure is obviously working.

• 1 month later...

My wife just got me the Aion as my first fountain pen this weekend. She is the collector in the house and I am finally going to dive in with her. I have always been a fan of Lamy products, and I use a Swift rollerball and Scribble mechanical pencil as my daily writers (until now of course). I have been trying out all of her pens before I chose the Aion. I like to hold my pen way up high when I fast write notes and it seems that almost always it puts my fingers right on the threads for most FP designs. I like the smooth, metal feel of the pen. Mine posts fine, but I prefer not to for the weighting. The rotating cap is a little annoying I must say though, which is probably the only thing I don't like about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hold the pen yesterday and bought it today as I was looking for a pen to celebrate the coming publication of a book. I must say I am rather impressed by the "presence" of the pen. Holding it before my eyes, it gives the impression of a scar in the space, an opening into the matter... Powerful design IMHO - gives a sense of strongness, where the Studio gives a sense of modern sophistication. I wasn't expecting this from the pictures.

The B nib is smooth, slightly stubish (which is a good surprise). The balance is toward the section, which I suspect will not be optimal for long writing sessions as far as I am concerned. I wouldn't mind a heavier pen.

I paid the pen 95$can (15% taxes included) in a B&M store, happy to get a decent price and be able to support a local store in buying something else than inks.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Some months later, I really like the unique feel and the F nib on the pen. But the rotating cap has gotten to the point where it's loose, and that is really unacceptable from a company that prides itself on German engineering. I hope Lamy reads this, because I'm not going to buy another pen with a rotating cap.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Hold the pen yesterday and bought it today as I was looking for a pen to celebrate the coming publication of a book. I must say I am rather impressed by the "presence" of the pen. Holding it before my eyes, it gives the impression of a scar in the space, an opening into the matter... Powerful design IMHO - gives a sense of strongness, where the Studio gives a sense of modern sophistication. I wasn't expecting this from the ...

What is your opinion about the hollow clip shaped out of sheet metal? Unlike the solid bar clips of lamy2k, cp1 etc which are machined from bars.

I was majorly disappointed with the Aion because of its clip.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

What is your opinion about the hollow clip shaped out of sheet metal? Unlike the solid bar clips of lamy2k, cp1 etc which are machined from bars.

I was majorly disappointed with the Aion because of its clip.

I haven't used the pen enough. With the 2K, the clip can unbalance the pen when posted. Esthetically, the Aion's clip does not bother me (yet?), and it seems practical enough. The clip seems well made and is springloaded, which is satisfactory for a pen of this price range.

I understand that there is a "clin d'oeil" to the 2K, but I don't think the pen should be measured to it - seems more in the Studio range IMHO.

I have written a couple of hours yesterday. It is my type of pen - no real section, no step, good diameter and long enough for my hand (the 2K is a bit too short for long writing sessions). I would like to try a 14k gold nib since my hand prefer bouncy nibs, but I like the steel B as it is. This will not take the place of the Densho or the Nauka as a writer but is a decent backup.

Edit to add: I'd love to see a side to side picture of the Aion, the Comic Minimalitica and the Romillo solo. No section, simple, black piece of raw materials, different interpretation of simplicity - and different price tags...

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

Clip:

Using the pen today. Put it on a pocket offre my bag. Definitely a problem: the back of the clip has a piece of metal that gets stuck in the material of the pocket when trying to take the pen. I can't imagine what damage it can cause to a shirt pocket... So, Harri: not an issue for me as I usually use a pencase, but a real design flaw...

amonjak.com

Clip:

Using the pen today. Put it on a pocket offre my bag. Definitely a problem: the back of the clip has a piece of metal that gets stuck in the material of the pocket when trying to take the pen. I can't imagine what damage it can cause to a shirt pocket... So, Harri: not an issue for me as I usually use a pencase, but a real design flaw...

I haven't found this to be the case at all. I have used the clip often and never had it catch on anything! If anything, I find that it is a bit loose and can tend to slide out of my pocket/placket easier than I would prefer...

I haven't found this to be the case at all. I have used the clip often and never had it catch on anything! If anything, I find that it is a bit loose and can tend to slide out of my pocket/placket easier than I would prefer...

Indeed there is a lip on the top of the pocket. But still. If you look under the clip, you will see it's like a harpoon. Trying to get a pic but it's not working.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

Indeed there is a lip on the top of the pocket. But still. If you look under the clip, you will see it's like a harpoon. Trying to get a pic but it's not working.

If you press on the top of the clip it lifts so it doesn't catch. If it still catches, the pocket material may be too thick.

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Lamy knows how to make good clips. Lamy sticks to proven designs. Their nibs and feeds used across several models are good examples of this. The CP1 is roughly the same price as the Aion at least here in India. The Aion with a CP1 style solid clip would have taken the pen to the Lamy level we expect.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Lamy knows how to make good clips. Lamy sticks to proven designs. Their nibs and feeds used across several models are good examples of this. The CP1 is roughly the same price as the Aion at least here in India. The Aion with a CP1 style solid clip would have taken the pen to the Lamy level we expect.

True. I was disappointed too

– Lin Yu-T'ang