The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Lamy Pen Model: The Lamy Aion

lamy aion pen new

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#221 Intensity

Intensity

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 November 2017 - 23:44

Lamy's design choice regarding nibs seems pretty clear in recent years.  :) 

I'm talking about the design of the barrel, how it ends before the nib.  However the Aion has a new nib design too, so the above is not entirely true either.

Sponsored Content

#222 catbert

catbert

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:09

I'm talking about the design of the barrel, how it ends before the nib.  However the Aion has a new nib design too, so the above is not entirely true either.

Yup, I get that, and maybe a different transition would have looked better. Will have to wait till I get one in hand to see what I really think of this one. The modified nib shape looks like an attempt to address the concern you expressed originally. It is still generally the case that one interchangeable nib and feed design serves (not saying it always fits aesthetically) all their current pens except the Lamy 2000 and is consistent with their style in the past few decades.

#223 Darth_Roo

Darth_Roo

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze+

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 November 2017 - 21:04

My Aion was an Anniversary gift in October. Michelle paid £47 for an F nib OliveSilver and I bought a converter for £5.
I opened it and was upset by the tone of the aluminium. The catalogue portrayed the Olive Silver as having an earthy green tone, but its just bog standard aluminium. I'd have bought the black knowing what I know now.

The unit is solid, feels very well built and because is aluminium, incredibly light. The cross section is big but the weight offsets for it. The machining is great and everything fits together with typically German high standards.

I loaded it with Iroshizuku Tsuki Yo and when the ink started flowing the pen came into its own. The new nib is so smooth and the pen is well balanced. I have a habit of catching the fleshy part of my thumb- hand joint on the cap of some pens when posted, but the pen is long enough for it not to catch. It didn't take any traditional breaking in and worked straight from the box.I don't think the box suited the design of the pen, and could have been better thought through.

The pen itself doesn't have any classical character as such and this is in part because the Aion is a very post modern design. I don't think this is a negative, just a statement.

I don't think the Aion will go on to be a classic and collector piece, but for anyone that wants a well machined writer that is comfortable for less than £50, its worth considering

Edited by Darth_Roo, 18 November 2017 - 21:07.

#224 zap210

zap210

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 19:12

I'm not getting on with mine. Its tail heavy and thick and too long. I think Lamy should have made it shorter and less thick. It writes well though.

#225 KKay

KKay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 20:57

Maybe a Sheaffer Sagaris would be more your style then? 

#226 azizpen

azizpen

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:28

I just made a quick video reviewing this pen

let me know what do you think

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lamy, aion, pen, new

Sponsored Content