New Lamy Pen Model: The Lamy Aion

Astronymus

Here some pictures for comparison. Lamy 2000, Lamy 80, Lamy Aion and Pelikan Pura. Capped, uncapped, posted.

Strangely, when uncapped is the Aion quite bigger as the others, but capped is similar.

attachicon.gifIMG_6712.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6713.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_6710.JPG

After a day of writing I find the Aion lovely to hold and overall comfortable.

I noticed that the black color is easy to scratch though, so that it can be a good workhorse but to handle carefully.

Greetings,

Chiara

Edited to add content.

Thanks for those pix. I hadn't paid enough attention to these in the thread until today.

Seeing the Aion as larger than the 2000 suggests again to me that I should just get a second 2000 if I need to get another Lamy Pen. Hopefully I'll have a chance to see the Aion in person to be sure. It still looks good to me regardless.

But I really do like Makrolon...the finish & weight.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• KKay

• Calabria

• Astronymus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I tried one at the London Writing Equipment Show last Sunday and the only reason I do not have one now was due to a mix up and me being passed a studio by accident (I was buying another pen, chatting to the store owner, and asking him to let me have a try of the homosapiens bronze age in his shirt pocket, so as much my fault).

I noticed some thing straight away, and without looking up the shop owner mentioned he and his staff had all noticed some thing but he would not tell me - I had spotted the same thing. The nib is a lot software than the Z50 nibs. Very pleasant write, hence my attempt at ordering one.

I noticed some thing straight away, and without looking up the shop owner mentioned he and his staff had all noticed some thing but he would not tell me - I had spotted the same thing. The nib is a lot software than the Z50 nibs. Very pleasant write, hence my attempt at ordering one.

I assume you meant to say the nib is a lot softer...that sounds even more of interest to me.

Thanks for the in-person details. Hmmm...

Once mine arrives I'll give a second impression in case it's just slightly software (tbh it was more like a F-C nib, but I will compare).

Just got one too, and really like it. I think you may be right, Dapprman - I also just got a Studio in the new green, and although that one has a fine nib and my Aion is medium so can't directly compare, the Aion does feel like less of a nail. Not that it's springy but it has some character in its feel.

The best bit is that the Aion feels wonderful in the hand, it sort of nestles there really comfortably. I obviously liked the look of it, but it's not a stunner - once I started writing with it though it really impressed me.

Very early impressions (after half an hour) but so far I think it's a great addition to Lamy's line-up.

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Could anyone owning all 3 types of Lamy, post pictures of the Aion, the Studio, the Al-Star/Safari/Vista next to each other?

It would be mighty helpful!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Thank you so much it is mightily helpful!

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I assume you meant to say the nib is a lot softer...that sounds even more of interest to me.

Thanks for the in-person details. Hmmm...

Indeed, it is a lot softer. And the pen is heavier, so it kind of presses itself on the paper by writing.

The writing experience is not so luxorious as with the 2000 (Aion costs a third) but I would not use the 2000 roughly outdoor (travel, train, excursions) like I do with the Aion since I've bought it.

Chiara

Edited to add content.

Edited by chravagni

I don't currently own any other Lamys than a 2000, but have owned Studios, etc. The ef nib on my Aion seems very much a nail.

I like the pen. It is nice to have quite a large metal pen that is also light in weight. It does bother me how easily the barrel can be moved around when the pen is capped. It doesn't do so on its own (even if you fiddle with the pen) and isn't the only snap cap pen that does this, but it does still annoy me a little. Just a pet peeve.

I also like the look of the nib, but it seems a little small for the size of the pen.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

I don't currently own any other Lamys than a 2000, but have owned Studios, etc. The ef nib on my Aion seems very much a nail.

Really? My Aion has an EF nib too, and it's the smoothest EF nib I've had. (And actually, I wouldn't even call it an EF ― it is not as fine as I would expect.)

Really? My Aion has an EF nib too, and it's the smoothest EF nib I've had. (And actually, I wouldn't even call it an EF ― it is not as fine as I would expect.)

It is smooth, but not soft as others above have reported of their Aion nibs.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

• 2 weeks later...

New finding: looks like the EF Lamy Aion nib is much-much finer on Rhodia paper than on others I've tried.

My new Aion M has been a strange experience up to now.

I usually love everything Lamy: design, writing, everything. Save for their inks, never enjoyed them as I did enjoy their pens. I have had five 2000s in various incarnations from F to B and OM and all of them were nothing short of excellent (the first two I had were stolen from my car years ago so I bought them again). I have also various other pens from Lamy including a Dialog 3, mandatory Safaris and more. I also have a bunch of their nibs including obliques and calligraphy ones, so my expectations for the 'new' nibs were high.

The beginning was a delusion. The shape of the Aion , in real life, didn't impress me much. It's serious, and an understatement, not a conversation starter for sure, nothing that will cry out ' I'm a design fountain pen' in a meeting filled with other people armed with ballpoints and rollers. But nothing seriously wrong anyway, I don't like shining pens, I prefer more subdued ones. I just consider other designs from Lamy more to my liking. All others.

FIlled with Lamy ink (as at the moment all other inks are closed in my office, or are too buried inside the overloaded drawer), without any problem as usual with the always efficient Lamy converter, and it writes. A nice and wet line, very dependent on the quality of the paper used (feathered like crazy at first but as I changed sheet of paper with a nice new dry one and no more problems). The shape of the nib is beautiful and in my taste a step ahead from usual Lamy nibs, behaviour is similar , maybe just a tad more springy (a good thing) but it is too early to confirm that.

Sure it skips. A lot. I was really worried in the beginning as it reached 20% of my letters but then after a few sheets it turned to normal, it skips on , say, under 10% of my letter starts, which is normal for Lamy loaded with Lamy inks for me (guys I hate their inks). So I am positive that with a more behaving Diamine or Aurora or Pelikan or Pilot ink this will reach 0% as it is common for ALL Lamys in my possession. Take into account I have a light hand when I write and I like heavy pens that can write exerting minimum pressure, with the sheer weight of their bodies.

The shape of the pen is regular but for some reason on prolonged use I find my thumb's nail often buried in my index flash. Not pleasant at all, a problem that I remember having when writing with the Dialog 3, that caused the Dialog to sleep since long in its nice wooden case. Also the shape of the pen and its finish reminds me a lot of the Dialog 3 (a good thing) . I will see with use if it is a thing of just adjusting to the pen size or if it is unavoidable.

The clip is really nice and good, it is not solid but made with some stamped and chromed metal sheet, it is spring loaded and works and looks great, very practical and a nice shiny accent that does not feel out of place.

The section is beautifully made, solid and functional, screws in to the barrel with a long and smooth screw, Most visible parts are metal, perfectly machined or shaped. The barrel is very long, but inside it feels like small, like Lamy put diaphragms in there or something, this is curious. Sticking a wooden pencil inside it, it goes little more inside than the converter's lenght.

The cap is metal and very well made, and clicks close on the pen with a nice convincing click. It doesn't rest blocked though, it can still turn just a little, which I'm not happy about but it is a fact of no consequencies. Inside there is a plactic inner cap as usual. When posted, it feels just barely secure, you have to press it home to feel safe that it does not release itself from the barrel while you are writing (I write always with posted caps). It works though and no mark is left on the barrel after that (a very good thing) , as it happens on most other Lamys.

Until now, it has been a mixed experience. The pen is good though, and has an advantage: with that, for sure nobody looks at you like at 'the freak with the fountain pen'.

The shape of the Aion , in real life, didn't impress me much. It's serious, and an understatement, not a conversation starter for sure, nothing that will cry out ' I'm a design fountain pen' in a meeting filled with other people armed with ballpoints and rollers. But nothing seriously wrong anyway, I don't like shining pens, I prefer more subdued ones. I just consider other designs from Lamy more to my liking. All others.

Do you have the black or the olivesilver?

I like the design, but the silver version does look very unremarkable. The black is very elegant, though.

Sure it skips. A lot. I was really worried in the beginning as it reached 20% of my letters but then after a few sheets it turned to normal, it skips on , say, under 10% of my letter starts, which is normal for Lamy loaded with Lamy inks for me (guys I hate their inks). So I am positive that with a more behaving Diamine or Aurora or Pelikan or Pilot ink this will reach 0% as it is common for ALL Lamys in my possession.

Yes, I've experienced some skipping with my Aion as well, when used with dry inks. I've experienced some skipping with ESSRI, hardly any skipping with Pelikan Brilliant Black, and no skipping at all with Platinum Carbon black.

I was quite surprised with this, because not many pens can handle Platinum Carbon Black well.

Do you have the black or the olivesilver?

I like the design, but the silver version does look very unremarkable. The black is very elegant, though.

I have both but my opinion is mainly based on the olive-silver version, as it is the one that I am currently using more. You are right in that the black one is more slick. Black is always the true new black :D

After a few more time I will post another bunch of impressions and I will eleborate more on the colours of these pens (black included).

I have both but my opinion is mainly based on the olive-silver version, as it is the one that I am currently using more. You are right in that the black one is more slick. Black is always the true new black :D

After a few more time I will post another bunch of impressions and I will eleborate more on the colours of these pens (black included).

Oh, okay. :)

By the way, I'm now thinking about how the black Aion might look with a black Lamy replacement nib... :P

Oh, okay. :)

By the way, I'm now thinking about how the black Aion might look with a black Lamy replacement nib... :P

Many of us are thinking about that....