Wanted: Well Behaved, Pen Friendly, Water Resistant Blue -Black

KellyMcJ

I'm seeking a new blue black ink (I had been using registrar's, but I want a change). I was looking at Pelikan blue black and it sounds perfect,but then I realized it's discontinued in the US and I don't want to fall in love with unobtanium even if I could get my hands on some.

Basically I'm seeking a new blue jeans of ink: writes on anything, low maintenance, durable.

Thanks!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KellyMcJ

• Ink Stained Wretch

• ehemem

• ac12

Pilot Blue Black. Water resistant and very well behaved ink. As well as being not very expensive.

My recommendation is use Waterman's Mysterious Blue (blue black.) This is used as a tester ink by some pen repair people I have known. It has great qualities that make it an all around good standby ink for all pens.

Pilot Blue Black. Water resistant and very well behaved ink. As well as being not very expensive.

Echo that. It's quite blue and not very black, but boyoboy, sandy1's review describes it as an amazing workhorse of an ink. You can find 350ml soda bottles for less on Amazon than most premium 50ml bottles or even most some 4.5oz (~135ml) bottles of Noodler's at Goulet, and that is just plain ol' dirt cheap for ink, unless you're buying domestic ink in India.

Edited by Arkanabar

As said above, Pilot Blue-Black is a nice, well-behaved, quick drying permanent when dry ink

Platinum Blue-Black is an iron-gall ink, available from Goulet Pens (and presumably others in the US)

Blackstone Barrister Blue is a ferro-tannate blue-black ink (i.e. modern iron-gall) available from Anderson Pens.

Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher might also fit the bill.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

You may have luck getting a bottle of Hero #232 from eBay. It's quite cheap at $5.00 and is currently my favourite blue-black.

18512340_204719573374685_801436940480230

From the other inks mentioned, I have yet to try Platinum (still on the way), Barrister Blue (a bit expensive for me, it's 30ml for the price of a 90ml Noodler's; look fantastic though), and Waterman (turns green so I'm not interested).

I have also tried R&K Salix. It's an IG ink as well so it has great performance but is lighter and greener than I'd like. Probably best in a wet pen on good paper to bring out the colour which defeats your original intent.

Noodler's BBK is also a nice performer but for some reason the colour "just did not speak to me". I had a 2ml vial that took me an incredibly long time to finish. I would categorize it closer to "Navy" though and may be the most feather-prone from those I have tried here. It also stained my clear feed a light blue but it was kept a long time in the pen so that might be the culprit.

Other inks that may be available are:

1. Quink - unless it's the old one with Solv-X please avoid unless you want an ink that turns green
  2. Skrip Blue-Black - good as well but is a slate blue-gray (green-ish) like Salix and Prussian Blue below
  3. Lamy Blue-Black - even the newer non-IG is water resistant and a good performer. Has a small tinge of violet that I like in a Blue-Black
  4. Diamine Prussian Blue, Diamine Blue-Black, Diamine Indigo - haven't tried these but they offer some water-resistance from what I have seen. There are other good Diamine Blues like Midnight and Oxford Blue that look similar to other suggestions but offer no water resistance.
  5. Organics Studio Manganese
  6. Monteverde Blue-Black (reformulated) - looks great from swabs online but my order hasn't arrived so no first impressions to share yet
  7. Sailor Blue-Black - Sei-Boku is good, but this is a truer Blue-Black to me and cheaper and just as good unless you need pigment-level permanence
Edited by antichresis

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

There aren't many inks that match your criteria. Pilot Blue black is permanent. De Atramentis Indigo, Atlantic Blue are not permanent, but won't totally wash away, Aurora Blue Black is a great new ink. It's very well behaved, flows great and dries fast, but is only slightly water resistant...but I'm hooked on it anyway..lol

Noodler's Legal Lapis is nice, but it's rather wet, so best in a dry pen. Also high water resistance with KWZI IG Turquoise, but the blue and blue black colors may suit you better (I don't actually have any of those yet).

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I was going to get a 350ml bottle of Pilot blue-black, until I sampled it. The color out of my pen did not strike me as dark enough to be a blue-black. That is why sampling in YOUR pen on YOUR paper, is important, to see what the ink really looks like.

Look at the sample of antichresis

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

New favorite of mine discovered but a few months ago, Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

Yet another vote for Pilot Blue-Black. Not advertised as water proof, but it is actually very water resistant (I did several soak tests).

It's a nice, easy-flowing ink ... my go-to for pens that are too dry.

As an added bonus : in wet pens it will have a beautiful sheen.

-k

I'm seeking a new blue black ink (I had been using registrar's, but I want a change). I was looking at Pelikan blue black and it sounds perfect,but then I realized it's discontinued in the US and I don't want to fall in love with unobtanium even if I could get my hands on some.

What you do is buy 3 or 4 or 5 bottles of it. Or the 1 L size bottle.

I think I have 4 bottles in my stash.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks everyone!!! I just ordered a bottle of Pilot Blue-black from Jetpens! (now the impatient waiting begins).

Noodler's Legal Lapis is nice, but it's rather wet, so best in a dry pen. Also high water resistance with KWZI IG Turquoise, but the blue and blue black colors may suit you better (I don't actually have any of those yet).

I dunno, I've not had any problems in any pen. It is a bit on the green side, but absolutely bulletproof.

There is also Regular Noodler's Blue-black. The black in it is Noodler's black, so that part of it is bullet-proof. The blue washes away, though.

PS - Legal Lapis is exclusive to Pendemonium.

Edited by FLZapped

Platinum Blue/Black would fill the bill for being water resistant & well behaved. This (mild) iron-gall ink has been around for a good while.

When I want a mid-blue, water resistant blue/black ink, this is it.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

While I found the Pilot Blue/Black ink to be nice, and also very water resistant, but it is not dark enough for me. I will probably add a bit of black ink to it in order to make it look darker.

Noodler's Blue/Black is another good choice, and one I regularly use. As has been noted, the blue will wash away but that black that's left will stay through any amount of water and a whole lot more. This is the classic blue/black ink color of my youth, which means it's a bit greenish looking. It's a dark greenish though.

There is also Noodler's Navy, which is a blue/black ink that shows the blue in it and is not greenish. It also will yield the blue while keeping the black if it gets soaked.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

While I found the Pilot Blue/Black ink to be nice, and also very water resistant, but it is not dark enough for me. I will probably add a bit of black ink to it in order to make it look darker.

Noodler's Blue/Black is another good choice, and one I regularly use. As has been noted, the blue will wash away but that black that's left will stay through any amount of water and a whole lot more. This is the classic blue/black ink color of my youth, which means it's a bit greenish looking. It's a dark greenish though.

There is also Noodler's Navy, which is a blue/black ink that shows the blue in it and is not greenish. It also will yield the blue while keeping the black if it gets soaked.

Noodler's Navy is currently my favorite drawing ink!!! I had mixed feelings about it for a while until I inked up a big eyedropper with it to draw and I love the stuff.