The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kaiami

kaiami

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:24

Hello! I am very new to calligraphy (and hand lettering) and I am wanting to create my own practice paper. I have seen some free printable practice sheets, and even some videos on how to make your own, but using a pen, paper and ruler. I am wanting to create a printable booklet to practice, and I am trying to find out what the "proper" or most common 1) angle is & 2) the best line distance? I am trying to find out what would be best as far as the diagonal lines (what degree?), as well as the distance between both the diagonal lines and between the horizontal lines? I'm sure it's more of a matter of preference, but I wanted to get the input from more experienced people. I would appreciate any advice! :)

Sponsored Content

#2 Ergative

Ergative

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:42

Every single measurement (except distance between diagonal lines) depends entirely on 1) the script you are using and 2) the size of your pen nib. Tell us about your script and pen, and we can help.

As for distance between diagonal lines, in my case that's determined by the width of my ruler. I measure the angle for one line, position my ruler, and then just draw lines on either side until the paper's full.

#3 ksm

ksm

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:56

Two more suggestions:

1. Booklet form raises the problem of paper not lying flat on writing surface, that is why I prefer to practice on loose sheets.
  2. Both ink from inkjet and temperature in laser printer changes properties of paper, that is why I prefer to rely on guide-sheet and (barely)-translucent practice sheet than to print my own practice paper.

Sponsored Content

|