New Midori Brass Fountain Pen - Ink And Nib Info?

avfreedman

Hello!

I'm new to the forum and searched as best I could but didn't see much talk about the new version of the Midori Brass Fountain Pen. I'm purchasing it from the shop in the link, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with the pen?

I'm assuming it's a Japanese nib so it'll run on the dry side? With that in mind, should I go for a wet ink? There just doesn't seem to be much info about it online.

Thanks so much!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nibtip

• ManofKent

• avfreedman

• SoulSamurai

Welcome aboard, avfreedman.

I gather that it's actually a European fine nib, but aside from it taking international standard cartridges of the smaller size, I know no more.

Thanks for the update and welcome, grainweevil :D

That's interesting to know. I put in an order for Diamine Saddle Brown ink, so we'll see how well that goes. Do you or anyone else have any experience with the pen? Like it?

I don't have any experience with or knowledge of the Midori brass fountain pen but... I found two other websites that have a listing for that pen (one in the U.K. and one in Canada) and:

The Travellers Company is a spin off from Midori, a Japanese company.

The pen is "designed and manufactured by skilled Japanese craftsmen".

Both of the other websites identify the pen as having a Japanese F nib.

I would expect it to be very fine, or dry, like many Japanese fine-nibbed pens.

Edited by Gord K.

Regarding the nib I went by info from Patrick Ng here, and he's FP-savvy and pretty cosy with Midori. There's also some comments from someone here (twocupstravels) who has one. But perhaps early feedback decided them to change it already? Seems from their experience that the plunger type Kaweco mini converter is a no-go I see, so there's another scrap of info.

It looks interesting, but it looks like a pushfit cap which would concern me.

Hi, i am new to this forum.

I do own a Midori brass fountain pen. As others pointed out rightly, it has fine Japanese nib.

The pen, as you can judge on the pictures bellow, is very small and narrow yet weighty, for the size, about one ounce or 28 grams.

I've been using it while travelling for more or less a week and it is already, as expected, oxidized. That doesn't bother me, since that can be rubbed off by many a way.

Built quality is high.

Here you are.

p.s. You can easily buy it from Amazon.japan, but i bough it from U.K. seller Andy's pens who is fast and very efficient.

post-135914-0-73757700-1495046325_thumb.jpg

post-135914-0-83714100-1495046346_thumb.jpg

post-135914-0-35967700-1495046359_thumb.jpg

One more.

Thanks - is the cap push fit? I currently use a brass Kaweco Lilliput and like the security of the screw on cap, but that ring looks handy.

Yes, the cap fits very securely on the barrel, wether you post it on the finial or clip it to close it.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the nib I went by info from Patrick Ng here, and he's FP-savvy and pretty cosy with Midori. There's also some comments from someone here (twocupstravels) who has one. But perhaps early feedback decided them to change it already? Seems from their experience that the plunger type Kaweco mini converter is a no-go I see, so there's another scrap of info.

I like the removable clip and the patina. My understanding is it only takes international shorts?

Interesting. I'd love to see it next to a Lilliput for comparison. I agree with ManofKent: I like the ring as I've been thinking it would be great to be able to put the Lilliput on a keyring, but I'd be slightly concerned using it that way because of the friction fit.

• 10 months later...

@nibtip

I would like to know the brand/model of the black fountain pen that you show in your images. The transparent is a TWSBI mini and the red a Kaweco AC Sport if I am correct. But I have no idea about the black one.

@nibtip

I would like to know the brand/model of the black fountain pen that you show in your images. The transparent is a TWSBI mini and the red a Kaweco AC Sport if I am correct. But I have no idea about the black one.

Looks like a Franklin-Christoph to me?

Yes indeed a FRANKLIN-CHRISTOPH XLV 45 SIG medium nib. I have sold the other 3 pens some time ago. My hand are bigger than average. Nonetheless the 45 fits perfectly my hand when posted. Best writer of the 4, all the way.