Lamy T10 Cartridge Vs Lamy Z24 Converter

suman5492

I have recently bought a Lamy Safari 17 matte black fine nib fountain pen. I just love it.I want to know two things.

1. Which one is better for long run use, the T10 cartridge or the Z24 converter?

2. How is the durability of the T10 cartridges? I have a syringe and I wish to reuse the cartridge filling it with bottle ink after the lamy ink inside it runs out.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• suman5492

• bayindirh

• Astronymus

• Bennett

A converter will always be sturdier than a cartridge, but you can make do with a cartridge if you don't one to buy a converter yet. It's fairly durable but will loosen up with repeat pulling and pushing when you fill it up and return on the pen

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

I have no problem using the converter, but compared to the cartridge it holds very less ink. I use my lamy safari 17 more than any of my other fountain pens. If I use the converter, it will soon empty out and who wants to refill very frequently? Is there any larger converter that fits lamy safari 17?

I have no problem using the converter, but compared to the cartridge it holds very less ink. I use my lamy safari 17 more than any of my other fountain pens. If I use the converter, it will soon empty out and who wants to refill very frequently? Is there any larger converter that fits lamy safari 17?

People who like to try many ink colors often like converters, because they hold less ink (meaning more chances to change inks) and are very easy to clean.

I don't think there's a larger converter than the Z24 or Z28 Lamy makes for the pen. Lamy's converters are proprietary, so it won't accept converters from another maker.

If you are concerned about running out of ink in the middle of a day, you can carry around a spare cartridge in case the converter runs out. Or you can buy a second Safari pen and swap when the first runs dry.

Cartridges are made for one time use. So, there is no garantee nor intention in production to have them refilled. It's the risk you'll have to take.

No. When you fill the pen via converter, you also store a sizeable amount of ink in the feed. That's almost 80% of the T10's capacity. Don't be fooled by the converter's capacity by itself.

T10s connection lip tends to crack over time or if you push it too much, which causes a nasty incident of premature drying and hard starts. If you're going to refill and use a T10, put it into the barrel and screw the pen upright, like you put an unopened cartridge.

No. When you fill the pen via converter, you also store a sizeable amount of ink in the feed. That's almost 80% of the T10's capacity. Don't be fooled by the converter's capacity by itself.

T10s connection lip tends to crack over time or if you push it too much, which causes a nasty incident of premature drying and hard starts. If you're going to refill and use a T10, put it into the barrel and screw the pen upright, like you put an unopened cartridge.

will it be better if I refill the converter keeping it attached with the pen itself? I usually detach the converter from the pen and then refill it. It sometimes become a hassle when the ink reaches the bottom of the ink bottle.

Recently I am facing an issue. I am using the converter since the cartridge got damaged, but sometimes it happens that there is no ink flow from the nib. I just have to shake the pen a bit to start the flow again. Feeling annoyed.

Could be the ink. Some brands prefer to stick instead of to flow.

Just put a little glas ball of a standard cartridge into the converter to break surface tension. Should work better after that.

will it be better if I refill the converter keeping it attached with the pen itself? I usually detach the converter from the pen and then refill it. It sometimes become a hassle when the ink reaches the bottom of the ink bottle.

Of course. Converters are not meant to be detached from pens during refill most of the times. Also while filling pen while converter attached, the flushing (fill - empty - fill cycle) will take care of the basic cleaning of the pen.

When you're running low on ink, use a smaller bottle, or transfer ink to a Lamy bottle. They are exceptionally well for using the last drops of ink.

I enjoy the ritual of filling my fountain pen. Filling it every evening is not objectionable. Does the converter have capacity for an entire day of writing ? If so, you can carry a cartridge in reserve.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !