The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wahl Eversharp Coronet Gold And Green Shell Pyralin C1936-1941

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2017 - 15:26

Hi, Folks,

This is one of the three types of Eversharp Coronet pens with plastic barrels.  The Wahl Eversharp Coronet Gold and Green Shell Pyralin, model 17734, sold for $10.00 and the matching pencil, model 10604, for $5.00.  The plastic barrel models of the Coronet are also distinguished from the full cap and barrel gold filled model by the square windows in the cap top and cap lip.

WahlEversharpCoronet_1280_03.jpg

This pen started as a real disaster.  Found in an antique store, the clear ink view section was disintegrating, heavily crisscrossed with cracks like a broken window.  I sent the pen out for repair.  The top of the barrel was sawed off and a new clear section was glued on as a replacement.  The repair was nicely done and only shows under careful examination.  The cap shows wear from lots of use.  

The two other plastic barrel models feature a black barrel, with a choice of rhodium plated cap (pen $8.75 and pencil $2.75) or gold filled cap (pen $10.00 and pencil $5.00).  The cap design is identical to the pen shown.

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,584 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:42

Thanks for sharing, Jim.

Love the Coronets!

Great deco design....

Had the matching pencil for this pen once.....along with several other gold Coronet pens (some with black and some with red pyralin accents).

Thanks,

Mark

Digerati & FP Addict
Current Pens: Aurora, Pilot, Scriptorium, Tibaldi, Visconti, Wahl-Eversharp

#3 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2017 - 13:07

My goal is to get one of the full gold fill pens with black pyralin, and the black barrel ones with both the gold and rhodium plate caps for a complete photo shoot.

#4 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:49

Has anyone ever seen an example of the rhodium cap model in person? The pencils crop up with some frequency. But I don't think I've even come across the pen eBay over the years (for comparison, I've seen 3-5 sterling "First Year" Sheaffer Crests over the same period). 

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! —> Conklin Nozac Penline (grey checked) | Sheaffer: Jr. Truncated (blue & black); OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance 3-25 (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow + green); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Thorobred (brown/red stripe); Lady Patricia (black, nacre, persian) | Pelikan 100/N (grey, wartime trim) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); early BCHR (nickel roller clip) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal, Webster, etc. (silver web, grey marble, etc.)

#5 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:48

Found the answer to own my question! A set sold on here a few years back, in fact. Photos are broken but linked thumbnails still work:

http://www.fountainp...arp-safety-pen/

Is the beneficiary of the trade still around these parts?

edit: a couple photos from a pen blog

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Estragon, 11 October 2017 - 17:47.

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! —> Conklin Nozac Penline (grey checked) | Sheaffer: Jr. Truncated (blue & black); OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance 3-25 (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow + green); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Thorobred (brown/red stripe); Lady Patricia (black, nacre, persian) | Pelikan 100/N (grey, wartime trim) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); early BCHR (nickel roller clip) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal, Webster, etc. (silver web, grey marble, etc.)

#6 Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 21:56

What a lovely pen! Have never seen one of those.

Sponsored Content

|