My Signature And Signature Pen Are A Question For Me ...

Dickkooty2

I know that it is important to use a signature pen ... I guess this means one that is impressive as well as laying down the line that will show off my signature. I want to come across as someone who is in command ... a leader ... yet a compassionate person that people like and trust.

Here are my questions ...

1 I am using a black Lamy 2000 with about a 1.7 stub nib. I use Pelikan black ink. I need to sign a variety of papers so I need the flexibility to lay down a good looking line that will enhance my signature. Any thoughts on another pen or ink or nib variety?

2 I am working on my signature to match how I wish to be perceived. This is as hard, at least for me, as writing instrument selection. I want my signature to reflect my image and position as someone who can approve and sign stuff. I want people to know that whatever it is that I have to sign has been signed by the right person!

Here is the signature that I'm using:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/14sun1web-master768_zpspx7ryi5b.jpg

I can vary this in response to suggestions from you guys. Is it saying the right thing, Conveying the right image?

Thanks for your help!

D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dickkooty2

• inkstainedruth

• KellyMcJ

• NinthSphere

I'm not one to adhere to the idea of your first bit, that a pen used to sign something need be impressive nor that it's going to say as much as you want about the individual using it. Plenty of important things have been signed with all manner of writing implements. Rather, my choice of pen used for a signature prioritizes reliability & expected writing surface before getting fancy. My go-tos would be my edc line-up of 51s or the M200. If I want line variation, it would have to be a drier stub or italic to be used on paper of questionable quality or better. I don't know how your 2k fares in that regard.

No offense intended, which probably means it will come off at least somewhat offensive...

This sample signature says to me "I'd like to make sure my pen is working before I actually sign something". :lticaptd:Possibly "I'm practicing ekg strips". If I'd seen it identified as your signature previously, it would be recognizable, but I would struggle to actually pick out any letter forms from it.

I'm curious to see how frequently you're going to post this before someone realizes it's a Trump joke.

...Did I write that publicly? :P

I'm curious to see how frequently you're going to post this before someone realizes it's a Trump joke.

...Did I write that publicly? :P

You have a good eye.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/rf/image_size_960x540/HT/p2/2017/01/22/Pictures/_18f78bb6-e071-11e6-a538-54bd197a5a1b.jpg

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

:headsmack: I stand by my interpretations of pen testing & ekg practice. I still struggle to make out any definite letter forms, but I would swear there are at least 3 capital As in Donald J. Trump. :lticaptd:

• 1 month later...

Just for some comparison ...

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/Screen%20Shot%202017-06-16%20at%205.04.44%20PM_zpsfjosrxpi.png

I had a coworker who I jokingly referred to as "Richter Scale"- his signature had no letters in it at all, and if there were three lines to sign, he would sign the middle one and use the other two. :lticaptd:

Could be worse though -- my husband's scrawl is so bad that he got into trouble signing a contract for one job he had several years ago -- his signature had to be in three different places and were completely different from each other (even with the company lawyer standing there watching him sign it...).

We'll see how the likes the Vanishing Point I got him, especially now that I've gotten him a couple of Rhodia pads instead of the cheap (I think 10 for $8.95 US) steno pads from the office supply section at Sam's Club (or maybe this was one of the 10/$1 from a dollar store...).

Actually I had not caught the joke at first. Probably because I don't think Dickkooty2 would be caught dead using a rollerball.... ;)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Could be worse though -- my husband's scrawl is so bad that he got into trouble signing a contract for one job he had several years ago -- his signature had to be in three different places and were completely different from each other (even with the company lawyer standing there watching him sign it...).

We'll see how the likes the Vanishing Point I got him, especially now that I've gotten him a couple of Rhodia pads instead of the cheap (I think 10 for $8.95 US) steno pads from the office supply section at Sam's Club (or maybe this was one of the 10/$1 from a dollar store...).

Actually I had not caught the joke at first. Probably because I don't think Dickkooty2 would be caught dead using a rollerball.... ;)

They went to using those electronic signature pads at the DMV and I had to use it to sign my drivers license. The clerk asked me if I was happy with my signature and I said "I don't know, does it look like the paper I just signed with a pen?" He looked at it, and looked at my digital signature and told me to try again. :lticaptd:

My signature is completely unintelligible but it's most definitely "me". My initials too. This is what happens when you have to sign/initial/date no fewer than 5 documents a day for 6 years.... :rolleyes:

More than one person had to fake my signature. It was ok in the end as this shortened paper work for a car licence, etc.

Both told me it was damn hard to fake it as it nearly entirely consists of a huge, fast swirl. :lol:

They went to using those electronic signature pads at the DMV and I had to use it to sign my drivers license. The clerk asked me if I was happy with my signature and I said "I don't know, does it look like the paper I just signed with a pen?" He looked at it, and looked at my digital signature and told me to try again. :lticaptd:

Wow, I don't think I ever had that problem, but I did once have to go through several iterations of photos at the DMV so I didn't look as if I had four chins.... :angry:

Of course I was once at a party where people were pulling out their drivers licenses to compare their photos. One guy (who does computer programming)? His photo looked as if he should be wearing a white t-shirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in his sleeve.... :huh:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

One guy (who does computer programming)? His photo looked as if he should be wearing a white t-shirt with a pack of cigarettes rolled up in his sleeve.... :huh:

Ruth,

I think this was called "pinboy-style". "Pin-boy" ... another of my high-school jobs now defunct!

Best,

Dick

This brings up a problem that others might share: the glyph I use on a digital screen doesn't work with a fountain pen. I need to redesign at least one.

What have been your solutions?

This brings up a problem that others might share: the glyph I use on a digital screen doesn't work with a fountain pen. I need to redesign at least one.

On digital screens I just make any old scribble, no two alike. I have attempted to sign with my signature, but without aesthetic result, so I just gave up...

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, my signature on those screens looks better than it did before I began using FPs. Using FPs made me want to write more better, which made me start hanging out in forums like this, which told me I had to start writing with my entire arm, which I did (sorta), which makes it easier for me to sign the little screen hanging in mid-air with something that looks more like my signature than, say, an EKG from a patient in fibrillation.

• 3 weeks later...

I know that it is important to use a signature pen ... I guess this means one that is impressive as well as laying down the line that will show off my signature. I want to come across as someone who is in command ... a leader ... yet a compassionate person that people like and trust.

Here are my questions ...

1 I am using a black Lamy 2000 with about a 1.7 stub nib. I use Pelikan black ink. I need to sign a variety of papers so I need the flexibility to lay down a good looking line that will enhance my signature. Any thoughts on another pen or ink or nib variety?

2 I am working on my signature to match how I wish to be perceived. This is as hard, at least for me, as writing instrument selection. I want my signature to reflect my image and position as someone who can approve and sign stuff. I want people to know that whatever it is that I have to sign has been signed by the right person!

Here is the signature that I'm using:

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj157/dick168/14sun1web-master768_zpspx7ryi5b.jpg

I can vary this in response to suggestions from you guys. Is it saying the right thing, Conveying the right image?

Thanks for your help!

D

can somebody help me as I always see this "www.photobucket.com/P500 image and cannot see other posted pictures? is this a spam or do we have to download a program to see images on FPN?

can somebody help me as I always see this "www.photobucket.com/P500 image and cannot see other posted pictures? is this a spam or do we have to download a program to see images on FPN?

No, it's apparently a problem with Photobucket. They decided to charge people an arm and a leg (and retroactively at that :o) to be able to port photos to other places (like here). There have been several threads about it on FPN. People are pretty irate about it, and I don't blame them....