Which Mb Full-Flex To Choose If I Can Only Afford One?

Guest Gracie

Guest Gracie

Although I am an admitted pen geek, being old enough to have learned how to write with a dip pen, my knowledge of many brands is decidedly limited. My dad gave me an Esterbrook when I finished elementary school, and a Sheaffer Snorkel when I finished high school, both of which I still have and use. Then I became enamoured with Japanese pens, and the world of nib customization.

I have no Montblanc pens at all, but I have been reading posts about the older flex nibs that truly are full-flex with wonderful snap back, and I am hoping that I can draw from the combined experience of this forum to choose one year and model of MB pen to search for, as I find the MB classifieds quite bewildering due to the enormous number of variations out there.

Thanks in advance.... :)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• Freddy

• dubhe

• Dcharles

Welcome Gracie. All my MB pens have very little flex. I should add that they were all made recently between 1990 and 2015. Nonetheless, I find flexi nibs fascinating and hope to hear about them. They are out there.

Edited by meiers

Guest Gracie

Thank you Meiers! I was surfing FPN a while ago and stumbled into a discussion about MB flex nibs, but I can't seem to find it now. The ones that were being discussed mostly seemed to be vintage, and they sounded marvellous. I'll look again and get back.

a while ago and stumbled into a discussion about MB flex nibs, but I can't seem to find it now. The ones that were being discussed mostly seemed to be vintage, and they sounded marvellous. I'll look again and get back.

If you want flexible..the older the better {1950's on down}.....

A 344, 342 is a good place to start.. I did a Google Custom Search of FPN

re Montblanc + Flexible....Here are some of the results... If you decide to

purchase..buy from well established folks.otherwise.you may not get

what your payin' for......

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/225456-flex-nib-montblancs/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/300828-montblanc-masterpiece-30-1933-vintage-bhr-flexible-nib/

Fred

I wouldn't say Montblanc ever made "full flexible" nibs, not after the thirties/forties, at least, but wonderful semi-flex? Yes. I would try any of the bi-color gold nibs from the thirties-to-fifties (I have no experience with the war-time non-gold ones). I own a 144 with a very "live" nib and then a 146 only slightly more rigid -both from the fifties that, along with a Pelikan 400 from around the same period are the best on my non-collection for "daily cursive writing" (non calligraphy, that is).

On a side note, in my very non-valuable opinion (so take it with a grain or two -or three of salt) if you are looking for "true" wet noodlers, I'd say you'll have better luck going after UK/USA pens than German -and, always before 1960, the older, the better (it seems ballpens "killed" nibs' flexibility).

Edited by jmnav

Guest Gracie

Many thanks for the information! Obviously I have a lot to contemplate, having read those two links and these replies. I did try to find Miroslav Tischler's "site", thanks Freddy, but just seemed to find sites about him and his shop, rather than connecting to them. I'm not on LinkedIn.

So, a 342, 344, 144, 146, or 149 and before the 1950's or at least before the 1960's.....

I also like my Pelikans, as pens, but have had mine customized because I find them too broad and too wet for me right off the shelf. I would like to try an older one, and I would be interested in jmnav's experience with the fifties pen compared to a new one today.

But back to the MBs - I surfed a bit in eBay but all the MBs that seemed to be ringing bells in my eager ears cost a fortune. Also, I'm never confident that I know exactly what I'm doing on eBay. I guess I'll just have to do a daily scan on FPN!! :thumbup:

Gracie..here is Miroslav Tischler..shop..Penkalapens..........

http://www.ebay.com/usr/penkalapens?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Montblanc pens from the 1950's can be semi-flexible to very flexible.

I have many..including 344 and 342..however..finding a 149 that is flexible

is not common..and a 146. Additionally..I have many Pelikan pens from the 1950's

that are semi-flexible to very flexible. Consider the 140 and It won't cost a lot.

Check out Penboard.deShop....1950's Montblanc pens...

http://www.penboard.de/shop/hlist/MB/VI50/1

And The Penquin..Rick Propas..

http://www.thepenguinpen.com/index.jsp

Fred

Edited by Freddy

Some of the Meisterstuck No 14s have flexible nibs (semi not full). They are also relatively cheap yet very well made.

Guest Gracie

Thank you Freddy and Dubhe - I have yet another question. When you say to consider the 140, are you referring to the series of pens starting with the numbers one and four, or is there a pen actually numbered as the "140"? This question also applies to Dubhe's reference to "the Meisterstuck No 14s".

The reason I ask is because I came across another posting from 2009 saying that there is no such thing as a Montblanc 140.... Is there just a typo in one of these postings or am I confused (see first posting above)?

Thank you Freddy and Dubhe - I have yet another question. When you say to consider the 140, are you referring to the series of pens starting with the numbers one and four, or is there a pen actually numbered as the "140"? This question also applies to Dubhe's reference to "the Meisterstuck No 14s".

The reason I ask is because I came across another posting from 2009 saying that there is no such thing as a Montblanc 140.... Is there just a typo in one of these postings or am I confused (see first posting above)?

The reference to 140 is to a Pelikan 140.

My Website

Is the bespoke nib service offered by Montblanc a way of obtaining a flex nib?

I have never seen anything they offer approaching vintage flex from MB. I have not gotten a bespoke nib yet myself, but in all the examples I have seen or read about there is not what I would call flex in the vintage sense of the term.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I have a 234 1/2 G that is quite flexible and a lot of fun to write with. Though it will be costly, my recommendation would be to look for a 13x, 23x, or 33x series. I also prefer the styling of those pens over the cigar shape of the modern 14x line.

I have a first year 342-g that I would consider "semi-flex," and a 1950's 146 that I would consider "close to semi-flex." But I have never run across a "full flex" MB nib. They may be out there, I have just not encountered them. Would love to write a bit with one if I found it in the wild!

...So much ink, so little penmanship....

I have a 50's 142 with an F, probably semi flex, also a 70's 149 EF 14C nib with some flex.

17658726952_5df727a75e_z.jpg

I like the nibs, but never use the flex much.

Keep in mind that vintage MB's can be very wet.

Is the bespoke nib service offered by Montblanc a way of obtaining a flex nib?

This is a modern option but I'd suggest getting the nib modified by Mike it work. It's not only less expensive, but in my experience it's the best option. In their methods, Mike's flex service is very similar to what Aurora did on their new flex nibs. I've tried a "full flex" modified nib and I was amazed at how easy it was to get it to flex. The tines would open by the pens weight alone! No need for any added pressure.

For my pens that's not what I was looking for, but the point is this is an option.

And by talking to Mike you also can sort of define how flexy you want the nib to be. My nib is the softest I own, more flexible in capacity and softness than my 14c and any noodlers.

I have a Pelikan 400 from the 50s that has full flex and only cost around £80 on eBay. Once I cleaned it up it looks superb.

To add to the earlier question, Montblanc No 12 and 14 are essentially the same pen, the 14 is a little bigger but uses the same nib unit.

Guest Gracie

Gracie..here is Miroslav Tischler..shop..Penkalapens..........

http://www.ebay.com/usr/penkalapens?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Montblanc pens from the 1950's can be semi-flexible to very flexible.

I have many..including 344 and 342..however..finding a 149 that is flexible

is not common..and a 146. Additionally..I have many Pelikan pens from the 1950's

that are semi-flexible to very flexible. Consider the 140 and It won't cost a lot.

Check out Penboard.deShop....1950's Montblanc pens...

http://www.penboard.de/shop/hlist/MB/VI50/1

And The Penquin..Rick Propas..

http://www.thepenguinpen.com/index.jsp

Fred

OK :D ! I did as advised and checked out Penboard.de, and after some very congenial and helpful back&forths with Max Schrage, have purchased :bunny01: a "Montblanc No. 3-44 Pistonfiller, black, extra fine tip flexible gold nib, 1955 14 K F extra fine and flexible tip" which is still listed, but as SOLD (I just checked). I can't wait to try it out. Thanks to Freddy and all other input. FPN is the best.

Edited by Gracie