Does Anyone Else Really Enjoy "cold" Colors?

VivaTerlingua

The only time I've seen that as a descriptor in ink reviews, it is always listed as a con. I especially love cold colors like Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun and Diamine Prussian Blue. Anybody else with me? If so, what are some of your favorites?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MadTheNeko

• bayindirh

• ac12

• VivaTerlingua

What are "cold" colors? ---- "light colors?" --- "dull colors?" ---- Don't mean to be rude, I just like to understand. C. S.

What are "cold" colors? ---- "light colors?" --- "dull colors?" ---- Don't mean to be rude, I just like to understand. C. S.

For me, colors associated with winter, overcast days, rain, things like that. For greys specifically, less red-leaning (a warm grey could be like Pilot Iroshizuku Kiri-same, for instance).

I like a mid to dark grey, as it is not as harsh on the eyes as BLACK. Heck some of my blacks are really grey.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I really like Akkerman #09, Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo - which is both blue (cool color) and muted. I also liked MB Jonathan Swift Seaweed Green (enough that one day I might post asking if anyone knows of an ink that mimics it). While green isn't as cool as blue, it's cooler than the yellow-red range, and that green is also very muted.

But I don't like cool and muted colors exclusively - mostly I like inks that don't look like they came out of a non-fountain pen.

When I first tried Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue, I said it reminded me of the colour of the Harbour on a cold, overcast, winter's day. Kevin, the maker, said that's exactly what he was aiming for.

Given that, it is also one of the more popular Colours of Australia inks.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

The terms warm and cool have clear definitions in color theory. I can't explain it, but you could Google or Wiki it. It's fairly interesting..

Edited by Pensei

I really like deep blues and to some extent, greens. Warmer colors in general don't do much for me although certain rare exceptions arise for particularly phenomenal inks.

The temperature refer to the Kelvin color temperature scale. Cool colors are blues, greens, warm colors are reds, oranges, yellows. Think of a rainbow. Warm colors at one end and cool at the other.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I'm starting to explore the greys and cooler hues. Playing with Diamine Silver Fox at the moment.

I like COLOR........

If I didn't like & appreciate "Cool" or "Warm" colors & distinguish between them, how could I appreciate either? I will admit to being originally on the Warmer spectrum, but after a few years have come over to the "cool side;" three inks delivered today were cools: a Kwz Chicago Blue, vintage MB Blue Black & a Sailor for Kingdom Note, Marsupenaeus japonicus, which altho "Brown" is also a "cooler" one, without the usual reddish undertones. Yet I am anxiously awaiting the availability of the latest Diamine Anniversary inks, to order a bottle of the Honey.

I think it is just different inks for different moods & my appreciation for one doesn't preclude the use of both.

Edited by Barkingpig

I just discovered gray inks when I impulsively bought a bottle of Mont Blanc Oyster Grey

and I've been chasing down anything with 'grey' in its name since then

It's not only 'cold' (but as you read I have other qualities that I would ascribe to the color) but also calming. It reminds me of the gray days of winter after all the holidays are done with and there descends over the landscape a sense of calm and reflection.

After looking at all the super-saturated colors of ink (almost feel I need sunglasses to look at them) the gray inks provide a welcome respite

The trick is to find a shade of gray that is not too light (that can't be read) and not too dark (that looks like a diluted black).

In short. Yes. I'm with you

I suppose R&K Verdigris is a cold colour, and it's gorgeous. I think all my other inks are either warm or very saturated. I'm not sure how Tsuyu Kusa would be classified...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Diamine Misty Blue has got nice character, some shading and is a great work/office colour for me.

I find this quite a cold blue.

Matt

As Pensei wrote, you have to look up colour theory. Blue isn't necessarily "cool" and red isn't always "warm". I learnt colour theory through makeup and it takes a bit to develop an eye to see the undertones and determine cool and warm. Eg you can have three red lipsticks, fairly similar in hue, but one will be cool (blue undertones), one neutral (lack of undertones or even mix), one warm (yellow/ orange undertones). An untrained eye won't detect differences quickly, if at all.

Same with ink. You have warm and cool reds, blues, greys etc etc.

It really depends on mood and shade whether I go for warm or cool, but with ink I do like saturated colours, the cool or warm aspect isn't that important to me.

I don't think I have a strong preference for cool over warm versions of individual hues; e.g. I appreciate a warm plummy purple (J Herbin Poussiere de Lune) just as much as a cool blue-purple (Diamine Bilberry). However I do tend to prefer cooler hues overall: I have lots of grey, green and blue-green inks but only a few reds and pinks - and no orange at all!

Favourites:

* Sailor Jentle Yama-Dori (blue-green, albeit with red shading) - love love LOVE this ink, so beautiful in a broad italic nib

* Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun - comes out just a bit darker than other greys, at least on the Traveller's Notebook refills I generally use it with

* J Herbin Cacao du Bresil - a "proper" sepia colour (like unfaded sepia photos, not the yellowy faded version that many people associate with the name), this makes a nice change from the more usual warm browns

Pen2paper - Don't worry, Caran d'Ache Storm is marketed as Kaweco Summer Purple nowadays, and is relatively easy to pick up.

John

also another one is j. herbin rouille D'ancre. It's really nice color, even people hates it. not for everyday use but still writing titles with that makes me feel good.

It's all Greek to me...

Besides my grey, here are the cooler colored inks that I use.

And Olya is right, some colors have an undertone/tint of a secondary color that changes its feel.

Greens:

• Diamaine Sherwood Green, a dark green reminds me of pine needles.
  • Waterman Green, mid tone green with bluish tone.
  • Pelikan Dark Green, has a bit of a bluish tone.
  • Noodler's Forest Green.

Blues:

• Private Reserve, DC Super Show Blue.
  • Noodler's, Liberty's Elysium

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com