Looking For Unusual Inks

wallylynn

it's been a long while since I last bought an ink, hadn't been writing much the past few years but getting back into journaling.

i'm looking for an ink, or two, that's got some sort of quirk. that probably means noodlers. I got a sample of blue nosed bear, but the halo effect never worked for me, unless I saturated the paper so much to bleed through 2 pages.

I'll try my sample of Rome is Burning again, but it was such an odd color it seemed to hurt my eyes. I'll try again though. What unusual inks do you enjoy using?

Already have iron-gall, and BSB.
Gonna be ordering from Goulet since I want the Liberty Elysium.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wallylynn

• lgsoltek

• eharriett

• ManofKent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about some of the J Herbin 1670 series of inks? I'm especially partial to Emerald of Chivor, but the Caribe de Chypre is nice, too.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

Look at something that shimmers. Be careful with cleaning it, but those are fun.

Also look at Kung Te Cheng. Read the story on Goulet's site about it. And also check out Whaleman's Sepia. That ink has never met a pen it couldn't destroy, but if you've got a dip pen, you might like it.

+1 for trying a Diamine Shimmertastic. There are plenty of bright colors, but if you'd like something semi-neutral, but still fun, Enchanted Ocean, Night Sky, and Blue Pearl are good options.

And the Liberty Elysium is great. You'll enjoy it.

Hi,

I'm rather conservative as to inks, (Ms BlBk at the helm), but I reckon R&K Scabiosa and Noodler's Apache Sunset are likely ports of call.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue and Barrier Reef Blue both shade AND sheen!

Available at Anderson Pens

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Agree with the person who said R and K, Apache Sunset. Waterman Mysterious Blue is very beautiful and interesting looking on paper. Also Concord Grape looks like a great bright Easter egg color. Very popping - says look at me.

Best, RRE

You could try Noodler's Dragon Napalm. It's certainly unusual... :o :wacko: :sick:

A colleague brought in a sample for me to try and it is the most eye-searingly orange meets pink I can imagine. My phone can't quite cope with the full brilliance, but...

post-135466-0-95075100-1494596937_thumb.jpg

I shall be emptying and bleaching my pen tonight :D

Edited by ManofKent

Oooppss - I've just realised that this was supposed to be unusual inks you enjoy using, rather than hate with a passion.

Diamine Purple Pazzazz - with a fine nib the gold just peeks through without being overwhelming.

That's funny. I love Dragon's Napalm because it is so weird. I think of it as Merry Mercurochrome.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I suppose what you mean by 'quirky' ink.

Some are quirky because of their behaviour - Any of the Baystate inks, Kung Te-Cheng or any Iron-Gall ink.

Some are quirky because of the story behind the ink - So many Noodler's inks, but including Kung Te-Cheng again, Monkey Hanger Blue, Violet Vote, Dark Matter Black, etc, etc, etc

Some are quirky because the name so accurately describes the colour and connotations of the ink - All of Blackstone Colours of Australia

Some are quirky because of the way they look - inks with glitter or gold particles.

Some are quirky because, despite needing ultimate pen care, behave perfectly on any paper - Dr Ph Martins Ocean inks (Edge Blue, Garnet Red Rose)

Some are quirky because they are just so perfect - Koh-i-noor Document Blue, a beautiful blue that is permanent and very well behaved in pen and on paper, and it's cheap.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Wow, that J Herbin Emerald is a top contender. It's much more than I was planning to spend, but wow that's pretty.

Whaleman was on my list since it came out. It's also out of stock.

I'll get samples of the Apache Sunset and Dragon's napalm. I love the concept, but not sure the colors will fit for general EDC writing.

I'm going to second Squeteague! It's​ definitely one of my favourites. It's unusual colour-wise, but tame enough that it could be in everyday use, and with the right nib and paper you get some lovely shading.

Some are quirky because they are just so perfect - Koh-i-noor Document Blue, a beautiful blue that is permanent and very well behaved in pen and on paper, and it's cheap.

My Document Blue still hasn't arrived. :bawl:

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

+1 Robert Oster Fire and Ice

Also consider Noodler's General of the Armies. This week was the first time I got this ink to "work." The ink lays down in olive drab and then settles to a blue-gray. I used it with a Parker 45 w/ a M nib.

Buzz

That RO Fire and Ice looks nice too. But I would rather splurge and get the JH Emerald for the gold. General of the Armies is interesting, but I think I have enough blue ink. That's the main thing holding me back from the suggestions. Maybe I'll get the cocoa or purple pizazz instead...

I like the idea of the KWZI inks, but I'm not sure where to buy them? I would actually prefer a clear version to get the most of the color change. Anyways, I still have my bottle of MontBlanc Midnight Blue (iron-gall). I save it for special occasions.

That RO Fire and Ice looks nice too. But I would rather splurge and get the JH Emerald for the gold. General of the Armies is interesting, but I think I have enough blue ink. That's the main thing holding me back from the suggestions. Maybe I'll get the cocoa or purple pizazz instead...

I like the idea of the KWZI inks, but I'm not sure where to buy them? I would actually prefer a clear version to get the most of the color change. Anyways, I still have my bottle of MontBlanc Midnight Blue (iron-gall). I save it for special occasions.

Where are you based? Vaness carries KWZ inks in US. In Europe there's Appelboom, Sakura, Bureau Direct, etc. Or you can just email KWZI and ask whether there's a distributor near you, or order from them directly.