Jinhao 992 Short Review

visvamitra

Well, it seems people went crazy about this little chinese fountain pen. At the moment it’s most popular fountain pen on polish fountain pen board but it also gets some attention in other places. The reason is simple – it’s cheapest decently made demonstrator on the market. You can have one with shipment for 2 $ and that’s less than cup of coffee in most european countries.

922_14.jpg?w=940

922_12.jpg?w=940

922_11.jpg?w=940

The Jinhao 922 is a clear demonstrator pen with chrome accents and simple design. I came to enjoy demonstartors more than all those flashy, swirly acrylic pens out there. Seeing the ink sloshing around inside the pen is a fun and this pen can be used safely as an eyedropper.

The cap and body of the pen taper toward the finial and endcap. One touch that Jinhao included on this pen that I really like is that they put a rubber / plastic (I’m not sure what meterial was used) o-ring at the top of the barrel, just below the threads that the cap screws onto. The o-ring acts as a buffer and a seal between the cap and barrel.

922_8.jpg?w=940

922_1.jpg?w=940

922_6.jpg?w=940

922_9.jpg?w=940

The cap on this pen is tight and lacks springiness. The threads are well-aligned and the cap screws onto the pen easily. On the other hand it unscrews easily as well. It only takes about one full twist to secure and the threads catch properly every time, without fail. The cap doesn’t post very securely. It’s a push-to-post kind of cap, I guess if you push gard enough it’ll sit on place but my personal preference is to use pens unposted. Maybe I try to post them too lightly?

Nib

922_3.jpg?w=940

922_2.jpg?w=940

olivastre_week19.jpg?w=940

The nib is small, I’d guess a standard #5 in size. It has a simple design etched around the inside edge, with the Jinhao name and nib size (F) imprinted in the center. The nib writes rather smoothly, however the one I got isn’t as wet as I expected it to be after reading enthusiastic comments of other people. Apart form this I don’t really have any complaints in that department. Jinhao nibs are more reliable out of box than Kaweco nibs and that is rather sad because Jinhao fountain pen usually costs a fraction of a Bock nib price.

Filling system

922_eye.jpg?w=940

The pen is designed for use with Jinaho converters and cartridges.On the other hand short international cartridges seem to work well with it as well. Converter is included and perfectly functional. More interesting option though is to use this pen as an eyedropper. It’s well designed to be used this way – no metal elemets, o-ring between section and the barrel, long thread. I haven’t used silicon grease and after a week of walking, running, sitting with the pen in my pocket I haven’t experienced any leaking. Of course it’s better to use silicon grease but you don’t have to obsess about it.

Dimensions

135 mm capped, weight approximately 15 g. This pen is too small for me and the section feels too narrow for my needs.

Summary

I see why this pen is becoming popular. Cheap, decently made demostrator with rather nice design appeal to me as well. Personally I find it a little to small for my taste but apart from that I think that for the price it’s excellent fountain pen.

Edited by visvamitra

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• truthpil

• inotrym

• Sagarb

Thank you! That's a demonstrator I could buy to see if I like the idea. Nice to see something good and really affordable!

Thanks for the review Vis. There Is a review that report leaks when used as an eyedropper from the end of the barrel. But others seem to have no problems other than ink getting caught in the cap.

I've been using one of ours with the provided converter & have had no problems in use. The one I've tried has quite a wet nib.

(Isn't it a Jinhao 992, not 922?)

Verba volant, scripta manent

The Review Master hath spoken! Thanks for another excellent review.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Doesn't it look a little Sailor inspired?

Not that the Procolor sports a particularly unique design, but still...

P.S.: Love the pics!

Thank you for kind words guys.

@Migo - it's nice to see you back and , of course, you're right :)

edit - I correcter review title. It's Jinhao 992 and not 922.

Edited by visvamitra

Thanks for the review Vis. There Is a review that report leaks when used as an eyedropper from the end of the barrel. But others seem to have no problems other than ink getting caught in the cap.

I've been using one of ours with the provided converter & have had no problems in use. The one I've tried has quite a wet nib.

(Isn't it a Jinhao 992, not 922?)

this model has 2 different bodies, demonstrator ones have something extra plastic at the bottom of pen, so it doesn't leak. but normal ones don't have that. So it's leaking. So demonstrator ones are good to use as eyedroppers, and others are good with classic use.

It's all Greek to me...

Has anyone extensively used SHORT International cartridges with this pen??

Well, my enthusiasm was premature. After a month of use the pen suddenly cracked near the barrel end. As I was using it as an eyedropper I've discovered cracks not because I've watched the pen closely but because, suddenly, my fingers became green and wet with ink. Has it happened to anyone else? I haven't dropped the pen, I haven't abused it in any way. The cracks appeared out of nowhere :/

fpn_1494855453__img_20170515_153306_1.jp

:yikes:

That's ridiculous!

I keep reading about various cracking issues with the demonstrator models, but so far nothing about the opaque versions.

I wonder if the plastics are different in some way.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I just got my 992 today (green demonstrator), and so far, I like it a lot. I had to fiddle with the nib a little bit (flossing with a brass sheet and then pressing down a tad to open the tines a little), but after that, I've been really pleased. Very smooth and wet nib (more of a Western fine than a Japanese fine, which is good with me), it's very comfortable in my hand, and (unlike the 886) the cap seems to seal well and keep the ink from drying out in the nib. The converter works a lot more smoothly than any of the other Jinhaos I've owned (not that I've had a lot -- just the aforementioned 886 and a couple of 599's), too.

I can see this becoming a favorite.

I've been using two of these pens for the last two weeks (one of which I eyedroppered). No cracks at all, but the eyedroppered pen allowed a ton of ink in between the section and nib unit (it took two weeks for it to get to that point...and I use it almost daily). When I uncapped it a few minutes ago, it threw a few drops of ink on my dining room table. Good thing I wasn't over the carpet.

I put silicone grease over the barrel threads, but didn't think to put any around the nib's collar. I'll have to pull it all apart, clean the nib unit out, apply some silicone grease to it, and see if that fixes it.

I wouldn't say the writing experience is amazing...but it's quite a bit better than I expected. Until I figure out if silicone grease will stop ink from getting all up around the nib unit, I'm not sure I'd take an eyedroppered 992 out of the house and carry it around.