The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diamine 150Th Anniversary Inks - Part 2

diamine 150th anniversary new inks

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:31

As you will have already seen, Diamine have brought out another eight new inks for their 150th Anniversary range. Great colours and I'm just posting a quick note showing them. They should be available in about three weeks.

Just simple notes and my usual method - Rhodia 80gsm dot paper and Lamy Vista M nib.

fpn_1494407978__diamine_150th_anniversar

fpn_1494408005__diamine_150th_anniversar

fpn_1494408030__diamine_150th_anniversar

fpn_1494408157__diamine_150th_anniversar

My favourites are Tudor Blue, Purple Dream, Dark Forest, Lilac Night and Espresso, BUT Burgundy Royale and Blood Orange could have their uses!

Enjoy.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Sponsored Content

#2 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:46

Excellent review:) Yesterday's news made me excited but what I see looks rather diosappointing. To be honest I can't see myself really enjoying any of these colors. I believe they'll be good, so that's not an issue, they look rather generic and that's my problem. Surpringly only Dark Forest catches my attention but that doesn't mean I'll like it. I wonder though how it'll look compared to Lamy Petrol and Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris.

#3 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:59

Thank you Captain. Your samples show a less saturated colour than in Chrissy's, probably due to a drier pen. I think my favourite is Tudor.

#4 errantmarginalia

errantmarginalia

Généalogue

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:39

Thank you! Tudor and Burgundy look nice; I think I'd probably pass on the others.

#5 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,866 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 10:41

Nothing there to excite me enough to buy, sadly.

#6 noddle

noddle

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 12:56

The only one that grabs me is Espresso.  

Thanks for the excellent pics.

Pens: Conid Kingsize Bulkfiller (2)

Inks:  KWZ Dark Brown, 

J.Herbin Cacao du Bresil

Graf von Faber-Castell India Red

Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses.

#7 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 13:53

Wow I love all of them. :yikes:

Tudor Blue looks like a really solid mid-blue. Not as saturated as Oxford and Lapis Blue, and not as nimble Washable Blue and Presidential Blue. Does it have some surprising water resistance like Washable Blue?

Blood Orange is great as well. Not a bright, bright red like the regular Diamine reds but not as dark, poor-on-cheap-paper possibly as Red Dragon and Oxblood. I've been looking for a medium red that can do notes and annotation at the same time. This might be it.

Purple Dream reminds me of Grape through a dry nib. A really good alternative to blue. Golden Honey will have limited uses but I've taken a fancy to yellow inks recently. This is a muted mango to me, quite useful as a break from all the bright sunflower yellows. It will be an excellent highlighter colour.

And now Lilac Night. :wub: It looks very much like the colour of diluted Kung Te-Cheng (one of my favourite inks ever). This will be less troublesome to use, for sure. And Espresso is the best looking brown from Diamine to me (edging Macassar which has been on and off my cart for the past few months).

I do see what the earlier comments are saying about these inks being anonymous, but the batch strikes me more as an "essential series". Weird when Diamine has like 150 different inks already, but if you someone came around looking for ink to try outside of their regular black this I would point to this batch. Ahh, but then I remember the price. The first batch of the 150th inks aren't Iroshizuku/Kobe level pricey but they are twice as expensive as the regular 30ml "refills". -_- And with the increased popularity of Taiwan as a tourist destination I regularly have friends offering to take a sidetrip to T.Y. Lee to get inks for me (I pay them, of course) where Diamine is even cheaper. I would buy these in a heartbeat if I could find a good deal on them but right now, I'll be on my desk looking for ink mixes to copy these great colours. Thankfully, my Mv Burgundy is close enough to Burgundy Royale.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#8 ManofKent

ManofKent

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 14:55

I don't dislike any of them, but I think only the Purple and Lilac are likely to join the 'sometime' list and none say 'buy now'.

#9 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2017 - 15:57

Excellent review:) Yesterday's news made me excited but what I see looks rather diosappointing. To be honest I can't see myself really enjoying any of these colors. I believe they'll be good, so that's not an issue, they look rather generic and that's my problem. Surpringly only Dark Forest catches my attention but that doesn't mean I'll like it. I wonder though how it'll look compared to Lamy Petrol and Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris.

Same here Vis...  I do believe the Captain is using a much drier pen.   I am only interested in Honey and Blood Orange... Dark Forest is a maybe (waiting to see sheen pictures).    

Thank YOU so much Captain.    :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#10 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,054 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2017 - 15:29

Thank you, Captain!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#11 Missy__

Missy__

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:40

Thank you for the writing samples!

I loved a lot of the first set of 150th Anniversary colours. Out of these, I think only Blood Orange really speaks to me (mostly because I cannot resist oranges :D). None of them are particularly a "must buy", which has my bank balance sighing in relief, I suppose.

#12 namrehsnoom

namrehsnoom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2017 - 09:55

Thank you for the side-by-side comparison. In the meantime I've also looked at the solo reviews of these inks (thanks Chrissy). They all look like solid standard inks. Undoubtedly a great set if you're starting out and want a little more than standard black & blue. Myself I prefer the previous anniversary inks, which were much less conventional and had more depth & personality.

#13 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:37

Thank you for the side-by-side comparison. In the meantime I've also looked at the solo reviews of these inks (thanks Chrissy). They all look like solid standard inks. Undoubtedly a great set if you're starting out and want a little more than standard black & blue. Myself I prefer the previous anniversary inks, which were much less conventional and had more depth & personality.

You're welcome.  :)  Some of these are real stand-out inks for me.  :wub:

Thank you, Good Captain.  :)

#14 Scriptorium Pens

Scriptorium Pens

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,869 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 15:13

Ooo, Purple Dream and Lilac Night will be on my shopping list, for sure. Thanks for posting these new inks!

Renée

Visit my site at

fpn_1381279657__scriptoriumpens-label4.p

Handcrafted Fountain & Dip Pens

For Behind the Scenes pictures and comments, check out Instagram & Twitter.

#15 thudthwacker

thudthwacker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:45

A number of these look quite compelling.  I wish Diamine would sell a "150th Anniversary Set" box of cartridges, with 2 each of all the new colors.  I'd overpay shamefully for something like that.

#16 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:01

A number of these look quite compelling.  I wish Diamine would sell a "150th Anniversary Set" box of cartridges, with 2 each of all the new colors.  I'd overpay shamefully for something like that.

It sounds like a good idea. The problem is that unless each of the cartridges was specially marked, you wouldldn't be able to see which was which. And FP users tend to like to know what ink they are putting in their pens.  :)

#17 thudthwacker

thudthwacker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2017 - 13:13

It sounds like a good idea. The problem is that unless each of the cartridges was specially marked, you wouldldn't be able to see which was which. And FP users tend to like to know what ink they are putting in their pens.  :)

Oh, I dunno -- I like all the colors well enough that I wouldn't feel too hard done by if I found I'd put in Blood Orange when I meant to put in Golden Honey.   :D

Seriously, though, the idea of a set of cartridges wasn't original with me -- I wondered if there were such a thing, looked on JetPens, and found several Diamine sets -- the Mixed Set (10 different inks), and the Sovereign, Elegance, Classic, Regal, and Floral sets (5 different inks each).  They solve the "lucky dip" problem by having a colored dot on the non-puncturable end of the cartridge.

#18 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 14:23

Oh, I dunno -- I like all the colors well enough that I wouldn't feel too hard done by if I found I'd put in Blood Orange when I meant to put in Golden Honey.   :D

Seriously, though, the idea of a set of cartridges wasn't original with me -- I wondered if there were such a thing, looked on JetPens, and found several Diamine sets -- the Mixed Set (10 different inks), and the Sovereign, Elegance, Classic, Regal, and Floral sets (5 different inks each).  They solve the "lucky dip" problem by having a colored dot on the non-puncturable end of the cartridge.

The 'lucky dip' cartridge problem is much more difficult with Diamine as they have so many colours. Sure, they are listed on the pack, but I bought a pack once. I still haven't worked out what inks some of them are.  :huh:

#19 thudthwacker

thudthwacker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2017 - 14:42

The 'lucky dip' cartridge problem is much more difficult with Diamine as they have so many colours. Sure, they are listed on the pack, but I bought a pack once. I still haven't worked out what inks some of them are.  :huh:

Huh.  The images they have up on JetPens show a colored sticker on the bottom of each cartridge, so you can tell what color they are.  Is that a new innovation on Diamine's part?  I was jovial above, but honestly, I'd be a tiny bit annoyed if they sold me a box of mixed cartridges and didn't make any effort to indicate which was which.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine, 150th, anniversary, new, inks

Sponsored Content

|