The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Grinding Noodler's Neponset Music Nib To A Stub

noodlers neponset music nib

6 replies to this topic

#1 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:28

I really like music nibs.  I have the Platinum 3776 Music Nib, the Pilot 742 Music Nib, Franklin Christoph Music Nib, the Ackerman Pump Pen Music Nib and the Noodler's Neponset Music Nib.  But the thing I find odd about the Noodler's is that it isn't a stub like the rest.  Sure, it has 3 tines, but it has no stub whatsoever.  So my question is: has anyone tried to grind one of these into a stub?  What were the results?  Was it still flexible?

I know that it's possible to by Nib Creeper and Ahab replacement nibs.  But, to my knowledge, it is not yet possible to buy just the Neponset nib without the pen.  So, this is a really risky project.  Let me know if you guys have tried.  Thanks.

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

WTB: 1. Camlin SD

2. 1950s to early 1960s 1st Gen MB 149 with BB nib

3. Airmail 90T Teal Swirl

4. PenBBS 355-16SF Demonstrator

Sponsored Content

#2 jjlax10

jjlax10

Nib Maven

• Member - Gold

• 815 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 18:06

I have tried through the manufacturer of the pen (sorry I won't tell who) and they will not sell those nibs.

President, Big Apple Pen Club
Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.
www.jjlaxpenco.com On Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

#3 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2017 - 19:24

I have tried through the manufacturer of the pen (sorry I won't tell who) and they will not sell those nibs.

Yes I have tried as well.  I realize they are doing this to buoy the price of the pen.  Let's face it, as much as we all love noodler's, if they started selling these music nibs for $10-15, we would just put them in our TWSBI's or similar pens and not pay the $75 price tag for the Neponset.

But, I'm still wondering if anyone has tried to grind this nib to a stub.  It's a $75 dollar risk and I would like to know if it is worth the risk to grind it.   :)

WTT: Conklin Nozac Cursive Italic & Edison Beaumont Broad for Pelikan M1000 or Something Cool (PM me to discuss. It's part of my One Red Fountain Pen trading post)

#4 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,592 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2017 - 19:07

I'd be interested in seeing the result. I've heard that the 2 tine nibs are easier to stub.  (But I'm not a nib meister).

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#5 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:39

I'd be interested in seeing the result. I've heard that the 2 tine nibs are easier to stub.  (But I'm not a nib meister).

I'm hoping someone has done this and posts about it.  I want to see the outcome before I risk a $75 pen LOL.

#6 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 09:00

I'm not sure I'd want to - the outer tines are hair thin as it is. If you want a music stub that flexes, the pilot custom 74 MS nib is a great 1.1ish 14k stub that will happily double its line width with way less pressure than the neponset requires.

I think the neponset is one of the pens that once I got tuned and dialed in, I'm probably never going to screw with it again. it writes well, sings a bit, flexes madly, and I suspect they will be fairly collectible as they just didn't sell many at $75 a pop (I bought my ebonite one at $56 and think it was pricey at that point)

I'm probably going to just put a jowo gold nib into it at some point, since I do love the style and size, and nathan's ahab pegleg pump is easily one of the best pen filling mechanisms ever invented.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#7 JonathanBarboza

JonathanBarboza

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,015 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 June 2017 - 19:36

I'd agree that they're pricey at $75. I'm hoping to find a used marbled marianas acrylic one. It's a really sweet looking color. I've been enjoying my black ebonite version for now.

Edited by JonathanBarboza, 09 June 2017 - 19:37.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, neponset, music nib

Sponsored Content

|