How To Be Slick On Amazon

surprise123

I just realized that Google is using my search history. How it works, I don't know, but for the last few days, I've been eyeing a TWSBI 580 on Amazon. I'm browsing FPN, and what ad pops up? A special discount for a TWSBI 580. For 40 bucks. I go to the site and find it's the company itself on Amazon, vending. After I buy the pen, I close the page, and then I wanted to go back to make sure I got the EF nib. I click on the page, and it's back to it's normal price. Creepy, no?

- Thankyouverymuchhaveaniceday

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• surprise123

• bbs

• Flippy

• Astronymus

:lticaptd:

It is far more worse then you think :D

It is not only Google....

You want to book a trip? You make a search....

Most providers will offer you " adjusted" prices, so if you ever searched for Mercedes, BMW or luxury cars, you will be offered higher prices then when you searched for cheap cars.

So now you know how stupid it is if someone says in privacy questions... " I am not worried, I have nothing to hide...."

This is what happens....

And it is just the tip of the iceberg.

You cannot imagine what Google and FB can do with all their data...

Google - MUHAHAHAHAAAA I HAVE ALL YOU PRECIOUS DATA HAHA

Me - What if I don't use my computer?

Google - ...

Super creepy, you can use extensions like Privacy Badger but in essence you have to think about whom you trust, and websites need to rethink how they make money.

This is a good read: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/08/advertising-is-the-internets-original-sin/376041/

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I found a Lamy Imporium going for just £117 on Amazon, two left. Bought it. A half hour later I looked again with the view of possibly posting the last one here - was back up to £272 for the last one.

Well you know, Big Data has been collecting all these stuff to target you. As they say: if you're not paying for it, you're the product (See Facebook, Google etc)

Here, a story on how Target knew a girl was pregnant before her dad did:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/#4225db4a6668

Simple things you can do to protect yourself (as much as possible): clear your cache, use the Tor browser, Privacy Badger etc.

PS - Enjoy the 580 when it comes! I like both my 580s a lot :D

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

The browser I use is FF. My suggestion is to go to Option -->Privacy --> Remove individual cookies and sort through the ones that are there. Delete all except the ones you have to have automatic login information like your bank, eBay or such. (Yes, you have reenter the information). This makes it appear that you are a new visitor).

If you don't do this the cookies already on your machine automatically identify you as a previous visitor and then they can track much more easily. Note --- "they" can probably track you in other ways however this might be the easiest.

For me, when I clean out my "cookies - individual" file I can end up with six to eight cookies still in my file.

Good luck

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

When I do search for prices on shopping sites, which is seldom, I have used multiple search engines and computers, some clear and some with different histories. I have found that there sometimes is a clear price difference sometimes.

Another trick is one my spouse uses, which is to never assume that the first price for anything on any website is the lowest. If she finds something she likes, she will copy the description and then search for the item, checking for the price on multiple sites. She will also shop for discounts to apply to the different sites. The price differences can vary significantly, especially for a mass produced item such as rucksacks, curtains, candies, etc.

Amazon, Google, Facebook, whoever are constantly following you through the internet analysing and recording what you watch, read and buy. This data ist pure money and there are many profiles about you which other companies can buy.

My Firefox browser is configurated to delete all cookies when it closes. Except special ones I choose and protect with CookieKeeper for easy logins for example.

Also many online shops detect what device you use. Users of iPhones and Macs often get higher prices than users with Android phones and Win PCs. The thought behind it is if you spend money on an iPhone you will be willing to spend a little more for their products.

Edited by Astron

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I was pricing hotels in the Raleigh area for stuff less expensive than the site hotel for the Triangle Pen Show. Within a day I was getting ad banners for "Hotels in Cary". Really creepy. And I wasn't just seeing them on FPN (which would have made some rational sense). Nope, I was ALSO seeing them on a sudoku website. 'Cause you know, there might be a sudoku convention coming up, at the same site.... B) Or not.

Big Brother is indeed watching. Only Orwell got it wrong. It's not the government who's Big Brother. It's Big Business. :angry: And people wonder why I don't have an avatar photo on Facebook, not to mention why I won't give them my cell phone #....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I get the same thing -- ads for places I've looked at, and bought. It's a pain, but I don't really care enough to deal with it.

Well you know, Big Data has been collecting all these stuff to target you. As they say: if you're not paying for it, you're the product (See Facebook, Google etc)

Here, a story on how Target knew a girl was pregnant before her dad did:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/02/16/how-target-figured-out-a-teen-girl-was-pregnant-before-her-father-did/#4225db4a6668

Simple things you can do to protect yourself (as much as possible): clear your cache, use the Tor browser, Privacy Badger etc.

PS - Enjoy the 580 when it comes! I like both my 580s a lot :D

~Epic

Do you mean the 580al turquoise?

• 3 weeks later...

I ran into the exact opposite of this recently when buying a new electric bass cabinet.

I browsed units and selected one. I was about to buy when interrupted by a call that ended up with me leaving the house. Next day I log in to see the item advertised at a higher price. I go to my selected item and the price is $70 higher.

I go a a friend's house and look at the item and it is at the price I saw 24 hours before. I write my friend a check and he purchases it in his name at the lower price.

Disgusting practice. I know that the minute a popular web site like America's test kitchen endorses an item, the price goes higher and if you browse it a few times, even higher, then if you leave it alone for a few weeks the price drops.

hmmmm.......

My computer literate friends tell me they actually have algorithms in place that do this sort of thing automatically.

I found a Lamy Imporium going for just £117 on Amazon, two left. Bought it. A half hour later I looked again with the view of possibly posting the last one here - was back up to £272 for the last one.

Wow, I would have gone for that! My bargain Amazon buy, which I still can't quite believe as it hasn't arrived yet, is a TWSBI Eco, clear with stub nib, for £7.99. Including postage from the U.S.!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Some sites will even give you different pricing depending on the browser or computer you're using.

Google - MUHAHAHAHAAAA I HAVE ALL YOU PRECIOUS DATA HAHA

Me - What if I don't use my computer?

Google - ...

:lticaptd:

A while back I had by eyes on some Sonnets. Guess what ads appeared while doing essay research during classes?

Embarrassing...

Wow, I would have gone for that! My bargain Amazon buy, which I still can't quite believe as it hasn't arrived yet, is a TWSBI Eco, clear with stub nib, for £7.99. Including postage from the U.S.!

I bought a Parker Sonnet in Dark Grey for 131$. The original list price was 267$, so you can imagine my shock. Oh and btw, it wasn't fake.

Yep, those deals happen.

So I glance at the bottom of this thread and find an offer for a $1990 USD purse! Wonder what I was researching last?

Just install adblockers and cookie killers. They help. Or use another browser for shopping and delete the history regularly.