The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

WTM Pens Curly Maple El Toro fountain pen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blackhill

Blackhill

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 04:52

Wayne Mason (samuel07 here on FPN), proprietor of WTM Pens created this pen. It is a beautiful fountain pen made with quality materials and crafted with great attention to detail. It is composed of hand-turned curly maple and trimmed in heavy sterling silver plate. The finish is exceptional; the grain of the curly maple absolutely glows through the shine of the wood's softly polished surface.

This is an intriguing looking pen with a short barrel that is meant to be posted. When posted, it is 5-3/4" long. It is a very heavy, thick pen, but it is extremely comfortable to use and it is very well balanced -- the weight of the pen rests comfortably in the V between the thumb and forefinger.

The image below shows the size of this pen relative to an Esterbrook J.

It has a medium steel-with-gold-mask nib and it writes on the fine side. It is a very smooth writer and always starts writing the moment the nib touches paper. I purposely did not write with it for several days and it still started writing with no hesitation. It uses short international cartridges; because of the length of the barrel, a converter does not fit.

Although I usually prefer lighter weight pens, I love this one and it has been inked continually since I got it. If you like thick, heavy pens, I highly recommend it. Even if you don't like heavy pens, I recommend giving this one a try. It just may change your mind, or at least become the one exception in your pen collection.

WTM Pens website:
http://www.wtmpens.com/index.html

Photographs by WTM Pens.

Sponsored Content

#2 kd5tmu

kd5tmu

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:04

QUOTE(Blackhill @ May 20 2007, 11:52 PM) View Post
Although I usually prefer lighter weight pens, I love this one and it has been inked continually since I got it. If you like thick, heavy pens, I highly recommend it. Even if you don't like heavy pens, I recommend giving this one a try. It just may change your mind, or at least become the one exception in your pen collection.

WTM Pens website:
http://www.wtmpens.com/index.html

Photographs by WTM Pens.

That is a very nice wood to work with. I also turn pens, although not to finance an adoption, but for money on the side (hopefully one day for a decent self-sufficient job). That looks like a joyous pen to use. He did a very nice job.

Peace and joy,
Harry

#3 Phthalo

Phthalo

Ultra Fine

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 05:43

Ooh... I like stout pens, and I like unusual designs - this is a good-looking combo. Very nice!
Laura / Phthalo
Fountain Pens: My Collection ˇ My Weblog ˇ My Flickr Gallery
Follow me on Twitter: @Phthalo

#4 jpolaski

jpolaski

Stays cruchy, even in milk!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 04:08

Excellent! I think the bulbous form is a great twist, and IMHO would look stunning in acrylics like Blue lightning. the silver jewel is a nice touch. I think I'd also love to see it with a Bock nib kit as seen on nibs.com. Yup, great design, and impeccable workmanship! I love it!
"The older I get, the more I realize I'm getting older".

#5 dcom

dcom

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 12:09

Wayne made a burled walnut pen for me and his work is nothing short of fantastic. I'd recommend him if you're in the market for a handmade wood pen.

#6 samuel07

samuel07

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 13:51

Thanks you all for the kind words, I really enjoy making these.

Now for a shameless plug: Please check out this listing on the marketplace.

Thanks,
http://www.fountainp...showtopic=32260

Sponsored Content

|