The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Replacement Section For An Sj

section esterbrook repair nib

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JDHudson

JDHudson

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2017 - 08:10

Can anyone direct me to the best place (besides eBay) to find an Esterbrook section for an LJ?  I am in the process of restoring my first Estie, and the section cracked on me.  I stupidly tried to take it out after removing the nib.....  If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate any guidance.  I am also restoring an Esterbrook that resembles an M2, but is a lever fill...it is immaculate, other than needing a new sac and general cleaning.

Edited by JDHudson, 09 May 2017 - 08:20.

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2017 - 20:20

Warning, you are going to run into a fit problem.

Because of shrinkage, of both body and section, a replacement section may or may not fit your pen.

Do NOT FORCE a tight section into a cold body.  Heat the body to soften it, or you may/will crack the body.  Been there, done that, still MAD at myself.

If the section is too tight, do NOT force it in.  Get a new section that is hopefully smaller in diameter, or sand/file the section to reduce the diameter, so that it will fit into your body.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 25-27, 2017 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2017 - 21:48

to add to what ac12 said above i have always had the section a bit small and while restoring multiple esties at a time make sure to keep the sections labeled as which pen they belong to otherwise you will get into a problem, and for smaller sections put a dab of shellac to keep it secure in place.

#4 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2017 - 22:55

to add to what ac12 said above i have always had the section a bit small and while restoring multiple esties at a time make sure to keep the sections labeled as which pen they belong to otherwise you will get into a problem, and for smaller sections put a dab of shellac to keep it secure in place.

What I do for small sections is to coat the part of the section that goes into the barrel with a layer of shellac, and let it DRY.

Repeated coats may be required for sections that are quite small.

The section is put into the barrel the normal way, friction fit.

The DRY shellac method makes it easier to remove the section later, as it is simply a friction fit.

I did read that some restorers/repair people would shellac the section into the body, to prevent the customer from pulling the section and messing up the pen.  But that makes it more difficult for the next guy to have to pull the section.

www.SFPenShow.com

#5 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2017 - 22:59

t

What I do for small sections is to coat the part of the section that goes into the barrel with a layer of shellac, and let it DRY.

The DRY shellac method makes it easier to remove the section later, as it is simply a friction fit.

I did read that some restorers/repair people would shellac the section into the body, to prevent the customer from pulling the section and messing up the pen.  But that makes it more difficult for the next guy to have to pull the section.

That is an awesome idea, i would certainly try that next time i get into this issue, i am frustrated by the fact that the section is small and it hurts me when i put shellac as i don't like it in general as its hard to remove it sometimes. so at the moment i just put a little dab so that a bit of heat can remove the section will coat it in shellac from next time as you mentioned.

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 00:36

^^^^what he said

#7 Pentode

Pentode

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:14

That is an awesome idea, i would certainly try that next time i get into this issue

To expound on that idea, you can also do multiple coats until the section's fit is rather tight and then carefully sand the shellac for a perfect friction fit.  Sometimes you can get the fit a bit more accurate that way, as opposed to building up layers.  The nice thing is you can just keep adjusting - if you add too much, sand it.  If you sand too much, add more.

Edited by Pentode, 10 May 2017 - 01:15.

#8 Pentode

Pentode

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 01:17

Warning, you are going to run into a fit problem.

Yup.  Every SJ and LJ I've restored has had a slightly different inside diameter.  The celluloid shrinks differently on every one and, to be honest, I don't know how consistent they were when they were new!

#9 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2017 - 04:32

To expound on that idea, you can also do multiple coats until the section's fit is rather tight and then carefully sand the shellac for a perfect friction fit.  Sometimes you can get the fit a bit more accurate that way, as opposed to building up layers.  The nice thing is you can just keep adjusting - if you add too much, sand it.  If you sand too much, add more.

will surely try this :) thank you

#10 JDHudson

JDHudson

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:40

Thanks for the pointers!!!!  I am simplifying my restoration work right now by only doing one at a time.  I am out of work for a while with a broken foot, so it allows me to keep my days full.  Along with learning Spencerian, that is.  I have to say, the outreach on this forum is so wonderful.  Most places you would ask something like this would find it being ignored.  Again thank you all for giving me the pointers.

#11 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 8,743 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:02

You guys need a section expander or a bigger supply of parts pens...
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 25-26-27, 2017 AND August 24-25-26, 2018 Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#12 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2017 - 04:35

I need more parts.

www.SFPenShow.com

#13 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2017 - 14:15

That comes with time....and impatience.

#14 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2017 - 19:01

That comes with time....and impatience.

You mean my AW $HIT box.

www.SFPenShow.com

#15 JDHudson

JDHudson

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2017 - 03:22

Slowly.....so slowly developing my "magic box" where I can find such stuff.....I have started picking up parts pens as I see them here and there.  I think I really need to start hitting some good flea markets and estate sales.

#16 Pentode

Pentode

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:12

I think I really need to start hitting some good flea markets and estate sales.

It's so hit or miss. A few weeks ago I hit the fleas and ended up with a couple of 3rd-tier fixer uppers. Nothing very inspiring.

Last weekend I hit the same exact spots and ended up coming home with 17 (!!!) pens. There's some junk in there, too, but some are real winners.

#17 bamahooty

bamahooty

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 13:03

Maybe I missed it, but I too am looking for a section for an SJ and i do not see one on eBay, nor did I see an answer in this thread.  Where can one find a section???

thanks

Hooty

#18 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,420 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2017 - 21:05

Maybe I missed it, but I too am looking for a section for an SJ and i do not see one on eBay, nor did I see an answer in this thread.  Where can one find a section???

thanks

Hooty

I have at least one section from an SJ.  You can have it gratis.  If interested, PM me.  There does appear to be some variation in the section sizes, so not all are a tight fit.  The best fit is where you can pull it out and push it easily back in for future resacs.  You might want to consider that when layering shellac to make a fit.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: section, esterbrook, repair, nib

Sponsored Content

|