Pilot Capless Fermo

HDoug

The fine nib is actually finer than the Pelikan XF that Richard Binder custom-grinds.

Just a point of interest, the VP "F" is about a 0.3mm stroke, and Richard calls this a XXF.

Richard's Stroke-Widths Chart (PDF)

For round nibs:

XXF: 0.012" ~= 0.3mm

XF: 0.016" ~= 0.4mm

So Richard's (round) XF is, indeed, ~0.1mm thicker than a Pilot VP "F".

I like the VP's "F" so much, that I recently ordered two of Richard's Custom XXF nibs for my Pelikans, and they're pretty darn close.

I am so happy to have a fountain pen manufacturer with nibs that work for me! Typically in the art/stationery stores I see in the U.S., European and American manufacturers are the normative representative for fountain pens. And typically, those don't work for me because the finest nib the store carries is not fine enough for me. And, being a newbie to all of this, I had no idea that nibs were interchangeable, could be modified etc. But still, glad to know Asian manufacturers work for me! :-)

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HDoug

• thibaulthalpern

• professionaldilettante

• adyf

Just seeing this post now, I have both that same VP and the 605 and am also thinking of adding that Fermo...

Great minds I guess...thanks for the excellent review.

And I never knew the clip on the VP was a cause for angst...my VP is one of my best writers bar none.

Edited by Mathew J

"Semper Ubi Sub Ubi"

• 1 year later...

"Say goodbye to the one hand nib out...."

I've had my beautiful black Fermo for a couple of months now, and the Decimo is now consigned to the back of a drawer. And yes, I have no difficulty both opening and closing with one hand. no, my hand is not particularly large.

Apologies for re-igniting an old thread.

DuPont Gold Dust Olympio Lacquer FP Fine (Visconti Blue)

Black Pilot Fermo FP Fine (Noodlers Coral Sea Blue)

Diplomat Black-Chrome FP Fine (Aurora Black)

Black Pilot Vanishing point FP Fine (not inked)

"Say goodbye to the one hand nib out...."

I've had my beautiful black Fermo for a couple of months now, and the Decimo is now consigned to the back of a drawer. And yes, I have no difficulty both opening and closing with one hand. no, my hand is not particularly large.

Apologies for re-igniting an old thread.

Same here. I can open and close with one hand, but I'm usually never without my other hand. It's a very reliable pen, and I find it's helpful when I'm up and about.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Excellent review! Very informative, and beautiful pictures too! ;) But damn you Doug, that is not good for my wallet. I have to look for a place where I may get my hands on one of those now. I already have a VP, though I damaged my 0.6 stub from Richard Binder *sad face*. I still have an italic nib for it, but it is too broad to my liking now.

Anyway, thanks for this very "viral" review ;)

Cya around!

Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over...

Have you noticed the Fermo's winder get loose after repeated usages? I am interested in finding out which mechanism is more durable, Capless/Decimo or Fermo.

When I had too many short note taking sessions (which required frequent clicking to get the nib out and in) with the Capless / Decimo, I noticed the clicking mechanism gets loose and does not engage gracefully as it used to be.

My collection: 149 EF/F/B/OBB, Collodi B/Twain F/Mann F, 146 M, Silver Barley F, M1000/M800 B'o'B/M800 Tortoise/Sahara/415 BT/215/205 Blue Demo, Optima Demo Red M/88 EF & Italic/Europa, Emotica, 2K/Safaris/Al-Stars/Vista, Edson DB/Carene BS, Pilot 845/823/742/743/Silvern/M90/Makies, Sailor Profit Realo M/KOP Makies/Profit Makies/Profit 21 Naginata MF&M/KOP/KOP Mosaiques/Sterling Silvers,Platinum #3776 Celluloids/Izumos/Wood pens/Sterling Silvers,YoL Grand Victorian, and more (I lost counting)

Have you noticed the Fermo's winder get loose after repeated usages? I am interested in finding out which mechanism is more durable, Capless/Decimo or Fermo.

When I had too many short note taking sessions (which required frequent clicking to get the nib out and in) with the Capless / Decimo, I noticed the clicking mechanism gets loose and does not engage gracefully as it used to be.

It's as firm as the day I got it. Granted, I am not the one who puts their pen into pant pockets, bottom of book bags, or against a bench grinder, so I can't comment on how this pen's structural integrity in a stress test, but for me, it feels sturdy, just like the day I bought it.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

• 10 months later...

Hello

How does the Fermo age, after some years of use ?

Pilot Capless/VP Fermo F ; Aurora 88 F ; Mont Blanc Noblesse slim F ; Lamy Vista clear EF // Waiting for : TWSBI 580 EF

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi all,

a bit late to the Fermo party.....(very late!). But i really enjoyed Doug's review of the Fermo...very personal and makes me inclined even more towards the Fermo (vs VP).

Pity I couldn't see the handwriting samples and the pen.....

Thanks again, Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Pity I couldn't see the handwriting samples and the pen.....

If I'm not mistaken, the Pilot Capless Fermo uses the same nib assemblies as the Vanishing Point and Décimo models in the product family, so the characteristics and performance of the nib (and feed supporting it) on paper should be no different. In other words, handwriting samples from Pilot Capless VP pens/nibs can be taken to also apply to the Capless Fermo models.

<EDIT>

Oh, I didn't realise that was a sly remark about the O.P.'s choice of image host for the embedded photos in his/her post. Sorry!

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.