Caran D'ache 849 Fp ?

HCD

As anyone got to see and/or tried the new 849 FP?

I'm on the fence with this pen and some info would be nice

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sandy101

• HCD

• dayrow

• RonE

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found sa youtube video. I like my 849 biros.

Edited by sandy101

My understanding is they're not on sale yet (edit: not in the US, anyway). FPH has them listed as a June 1st release. When I was at the store last week only the ballpoints and pencils were on display.

They look great in the pictures. Snap cap, just like the Ecridor. To my tastes it's an immeasurably better look than the Ecridors have, too—and at a much lower price point! Stainless steel nib, but many (all?) Ecridors are, too, even on the pens that are gold-plated from head to toe. Anyone know if the internals are going to be the same?

Caran d'Ache makes nibs in house or outsourced them?

They outsource to Bock, last I heard.

Edited by dayrow

With the due respect to those interested by it, then I fail to see why it is so expensive, since with that money you can buy other pens that have an excellent reputation around here

Edited by sciumbasci

I have the ballpoint and I mostly bought it because it is such an icon. The pen doesn't write particularly special with my Pilot Acroballs and Uni Jetstreams writing much better. I do have to say that the Caran D'ache 849 does feel like a premium pen, just not a premium writing experience.

With the due respect to those interested by it, then I fail to see why it is so expensive, since with that money you can buy other pens that have an excellent reputation around here

While I think that's fair, Caran d'Ache frankly do have an excellent reputation on FPN, little attention though they may receive. If you do a search for CdA you'll turn up mostly glowing reviews with responses along the lines of, "Why aren't they talked about more often?" The same goes for, e.g., Faber-Castell, which also uses Bock nibs.

I do wonder why the 'Bock family' draws such varied opinions. I have tried a few [Graf von] Faber-Castell pens, which have all worked beautifully, and one CdA (an Ecridor) which did as well. More than that, I've never heard of any quality control problems with these companies, outside of some brittle plastic in the entry-level FC pens. (A fair complaint, but nothing to do with Bock.) But then you get to Kaweco, and you can hardly say the name without someone popping up and shouting, "Inconsistent!" And, indeed, the only two Kaweco Sports I've ever used have been rubbish starters. Are these companies all finishing their nibs in-house? Is only Kaweco, among the ones I mentioned? Or is it the only one which isn't? I'm curious.

If I look at a list of pen companies which get their nibs from Jowo and Bock (and don't do custom grinds like, say, Franklin Christoph), I see a number of companies which I avoid. But these are mostly owned by Yafa.

The Caran 'd Ache 849 fp is made in Switzerland and is probably so expensive due to the CHF/EUR or CHF/USD exchange rate.

• 3 weeks later...

It has started to appear in the UK now. The current price is £45 - and there is a choice of EF, F and M nibs.

Folks here complained about Bock nibbed Pelikans.....they still have the same complaints once Pelikan went back to in house.

I would guess the 1000 nib is finally back in house, it was the last to be brought back or was to be brought back. I remember no complaints about a Bock 1000 nib.

Odd, I see no one selling Bock nibbed Pelikans for less money.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Not a big fan of Caran d'Ache. My beef with them centers around nib collars that self destruct, it's almost like dry rot. This causes the pen to leak at first and then, eventually, the nib and part of the section will end up stuck in the cap. This is a rather common problem too, particularly with the Ecridor line.

Edited by Cordovian

The 849 section on the fountain pen model is pretty badly designed.

Caran D'Ache nibs that I've tried were all spectacular.

Bureaudirect sold out within a day of the pen coming out. Anyone here care to post a review, or comment? I love the C'dA pens I have, and an 849 with a fine nib is of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

Bureaudirect.co.uk offer fine and medium (although fine is currently out of stock)

Penchalet.com offer extra fine, fine and medium.

There's not many of them about at the moment.

• 4 months later...

While I think that's fair, Caran d'Ache frankly do have an excellent reputation on FPN, little attention though they may receive. If you do a search for CdA you'll turn up mostly glowing reviews with responses along the lines of, "Why aren't they talked about more often?" The same goes for, e.g., Faber-Castell, which also uses Bock nibs.

I do wonder why the 'Bock family' draws such varied opinions. I have tried a few [Graf von] Faber-Castell pens, which have all worked beautifully, and one CdA (an Ecridor) which did as well. More than that, I've never heard of any quality control problems with these companies, outside of some brittle plastic in the entry-level FC pens. (A fair complaint, but nothing to do with Bock.) But then you get to Kaweco, and you can hardly say the name without someone popping up and shouting, "Inconsistent!" And, indeed, the only two Kaweco Sports I've ever used have been rubbish starters. Are these companies all finishing their nibs in-house? Is only Kaweco, among the ones I mentioned? Or is it the only one which isn't? I'm curious.

If I look at a list of pen companies which get their nibs from Jowo and Bock (and don't do custom grinds like, say, Franklin Christoph), I see a number of companies which I avoid. But these are mostly owned by Yafa.

Hi I just bought my 849 Fp and unfortunately ruined the nib a bit by trying to adjust it.

Yes i know i was stupid.

Do you know where i can get a replacement for the nib part?

I asked around and from the shop where i bought it they say they dont sell spare parts.

I am from asia and fountain pen is a rare thing here, no where else i can find help. I tried amazon.com too but i dont see 849 spare parts neither.

if 849 use bock nips does it mean i can get it from bock? i don't see on their website they are selling spare parts particular for 849.

or, are there better replacements from other third parties that will fit to my pen? cuz I find my 849 nib rather dry and not very smooth, mainly because I am writing Chinese Characters mainly and there are a lot of lifting when compared to English writings.

My wife bought an 849 at the DC Pen Show - she loves the pen.

I should say that it suffered from flow issues out of the box - I had to give the nib shoulders a slight tug to widen the gap in the tines, followed by some light grinding to eliminate the issues. It writes wonderfully now. I should also say that we paid full retail ($60 USD) which is a bit high for the pen, in my opinion, but not egregious by any means.

I have tried one in a stationery store.

The plastic doesn't feel cheap nor premium. It's very colorful though, I liked that. The grip section is absurdly narrow and short, and the step to the barrel is not smooth enough in my opinion. I had to hold the end of the barrel itself while writing, and I have tiny hands.

The nib was absolutely unimpressive. Not horribly scratchy as a Jinhao I bought, but not as smooth as my Lamy Al-Star's nibs, not even the fine one, and it was very dry in my opinion, although being a show-model, maybe with a twist of the converter this last issue could be avoided.

I asked the shop clerk how much it cost, expecting 10€ for a not-well designed but colorful pen, and she said 55€.

Now excuse the following rant, but for 55€ I can get 5 Pilot Kakuno with the same quality plastic and a well-designed grip section, or 4 Pilot Metropolitan with metal body, or I can add 10€ and buy a Pilot Custom 74 or 91, or a Platinum 3776, or a Sailor Promenade from ebay. Oh and for 10€ less I can buy a Platinum PTL-5000, always on ebay, with the same narrow body and snap cap but with a grip section that is tall enough for me to hold.

I know this last paragraph I wrote may sound ridiculous, as it looks like I'm comparing steel nibs and gold nibs, I'm not. This is just what I thought about when I was told the price. I don't have a single gold nib, it's kind of my "dream purchase" now, which I why I declined the pen as quickly and politely as I could.

Every time I go into that shop now the clerk asks me if I want to try writing with it again. No, thank you.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png