The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Hero 368 - Does Anyone Have One? Or Even Heard Of Them?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beizhia

beizhia

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 03:22

I thought I'd seen all the Chinese Lamy Safari clones out there (I even have a Jinhao 599 with a hooded nib!), then the other day while I was searching around on ebay I saw the HERO 368. I bought one basically right away. The thing is 10x better looking than any of Lamy's Safari-ish (Vista, Al-Star, LX) pens IMHO. I've never been *too* wooed by Lamy's build quality, and I'm usually pleasantly surprised by the Chinese brands I get, so I'm pretty excited for this!

Has anyone seen this pen before, or does anyone have one? I've searched around but didn't find a whole lot of results, even on FPN.

s-l300.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Lord Epic

Lord Epic

Just the kid with the fountain pens... no, don't mind me...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 04:51

I think many Chinese brands have their own clones - and it's the usual ones (Hero 359, Jinhao 599) that get highlighted. Here are two clones that people may not have heard of.

http://www.ebay.com/...jcAAOSwls5Y7DuQ (From SKB. Has a Vista clone too)

Capture.PNG (From Picasso. Did not find this on eBay)

I did some digging on Taobao, and found that this is a relatively new pen, available from September 2016. 

Also, the design's inspiration was mermaids?

Capture.PNG

A translation of the poster reads (from top):

Hero

Writing Legend

Witness a bright moment

Since there's an edge, they're destined to hit and create sparks in that moment (hence the previous line - witness a bright moment)

Below the yellow characters are a few blue ones that read Mermaid 368

Hope I helped!

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic, 07 May 2017 - 05:01.

Letter Writers Alliance
Epic... that's Lord Epic to you, or LE for short.   :P

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

#3 mke

mke

Where are all the Sheaffer NoNonsense Marble Blue and Green?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:03

Oh, the posting by the Lord (E.) shows another Penton pen - where are Penton pens from?

The link to my first exposure to Penton pens is here: LINK.

#4 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:12

Lord Epic,

My big box full of Taobao purchases arrived, including three Oaso S007s (matt black, dark lilac and clear), and two Penton F17s (rubberized black and clear) which are closer to the Safari.

The S007 are indeed very well made, the extension behind the barrel thread at the end of the section has the slots for holding a Lamy cartridge, but only the clear one works properly, too bad the clear one has clear feed so I do feel a bit apprehensive.

The F17 is more different from the Safari in most dimensions. The section has three equal facets, thus not providing the immediate tactile feedback. The sheet stock for making the nibs appears to be somewhat sub-standard, and their own converters do not even fit the clear version; while the black one does take it, the piston blocks a fair bit of the ink window. It is a less-worthy pen compared to the others, in my opinion.

mke,

Penton is a Chinese brand who made it clear that they used to call themselves SKB, which was the same as a totally respectable Taiwanese maker, so that was a bit of an opportunistic move on their part, and then they got caught out. Some Taobao vendors still fraudulently claim that they're Taiwanese though.

Edited by Seele, 07 May 2017 - 05:14.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

#5 beizhia

beizhia

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:23

Ahh, very cool! Thanks for the info Lord Epic! Guess that explains why I hadn't heard of these.

I'm usually not too interested in these Safari clones (or the Safaris themselves  :P) but the styling on these really caught my eye for whatever reason.

I'll try to make up a little review about it once it gets in, if anyone would like to know how it is. I think its scheduled to get here in another week or two.

#6 Lord Epic

Lord Epic

• Member - Gold

• 1,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:29

Lord Epic,

My big box full of Taobao purchases arrived, including three Oaso S007s (matt black, dark lilac and clear), and two Penton F17s (rubberized black and clear) which are closer to the Safari.

The S007 are indeed very well made, the extension behind the barrel thread at the end of the section has the slots for holding a Lamy cartridge, but only the clear one works properly, too bad the clear one has clear feed so I do feel a bit apprehensive.

The F17 is more different from the Safari in most dimensions. The section has three equal facets, thus not providing the immediate tactile feedback. The sheet stock for making the nibs appears to be somewhat sub-standard, and their own converters do not even fit the clear version; while the black one does take it, the piston blocks a fair bit of the ink window. It is a less-worthy pen compared to the others, in my opinion.

mke,

Penton is a Chinese brand who made it clear that they used to call themselves SKB, which was the same as a totally respectable Taiwanese maker, so that was a bit of an opportunistic move on their part, and then they got caught out. Some Taobao vendors still fraudulently claim that they're Taiwanese though.

Well most Chinese pens are a bit hit and miss - which is why they come sold in bundles, like the Hero 616  :P

My recent purchase of the Caliart Ego has been a different story though.

Also, Hero has a pen that works decently well. Unfortunately I can't seem to find it on Taobao.

~Epic

Letter Writers Alliance

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

#7 Lord Epic

Lord Epic

• Member - Gold

• 1,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:34

More Safari clones:

http://www.ebay.com/...HwAAOSwTA9X4tvH

http://www.ebay.com/...pgAAOSw2x1XKx9R

Waiting for someone to buy them all and do a comparison among the clones  :P

~Epic

Letter Writers Alliance

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

#8 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,039 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 06:32

I have one and its packaging calls it the Hero Mermaid. It writes pretty well, but did burp ink once the ink level in the cartridge had a fifth left. The grip is transparent and you can see crushed combs in the feed as if the pressing of the feed into the grip crushed the combs.

The aesthetics are nicer than the Lamy, the nib is better for my writing style. (Every Lamy I have had skips in exactly the same way, at exactly the same point when writing certain letters; even with nibs made 15 years apart).

#9 Seele

Seele

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,060 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 11:15

More Safari clones:

http://www.ebay.com/...HwAAOSwTA9X4tvH

http://www.ebay.com/...pgAAOSw2x1XKx9R

Waiting for someone to buy them all and do a comparison among the clones  :P

~Epic

Lord Epic,

I have already done so, and published a preliminary report elsewhere comparing the examples of Lamy, Yiren and Lanbitou that I possess; here is a precis, with additional information on the other pens in brackets.

The Yiren (along with Hero and Oaso) uses a version of the keyed two-part, two-channel feed as in the Lamy, but moulding is a bit less precise; the nib is poorly fitted and basically jammed into the feed by force. The converters in both examples have sockets lined with a black sleeve which cracks, rendering the pens inoperative; overall the material feels less sturdy but the cap is held together with one single screw, making servicing easy. The barrel thread is a single-start thus making the barrel and section oriented correctly every time.

The Lanbitou (along with Penton and Baoke) uses a one-piece, single-channel feed of conventional design which I think is more serviceable. Material and workmanship seem to be of a high order, and Lamy converters can be fitted correctly.

Moreover, the Hero seems to have massively built nibs; I failed to bend the tines to adjust the gap between them, but other are more compliant in different degrees.

Hope this is of some interest.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

#10 Lord Epic

Lord Epic

• Member - Gold

• 1,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 13:00

Lord Epic,

I have already done so, and published a preliminary report elsewhere comparing the examples of Lamy, Yiren and Lanbitou that I possess; here is a precis, with additional information on the other pens in brackets.

The Yiren (along with Hero and Oaso) uses a version of the keyed two-part, two-channel feed as in the Lamy, but moulding is a bit less precise; the nib is poorly fitted and basically jammed into the feed by force. The converters in both examples have sockets lined with a black sleeve which cracks, rendering the pens inoperative; overall the material feels less sturdy but the cap is held together with one single screw, making servicing easy. The barrel thread is a single-start thus making the barrel and section oriented correctly every time.

The Lanbitou (along with Penton and Baoke) uses a one-piece, single-channel feed of conventional design which I think is more serviceable. Material and workmanship seem to be of a high order, and Lamy converters can be fitted correctly.

Moreover, the Hero seems to have massively built nibs; I failed to bend the tines to adjust the gap between them, but other are more compliant in different degrees.

Hope this is of some interest.

Interesting indeed Seele, thank you for your insights :)

~Epic

Letter Writers Alliance

A sincere man am I
And I want before I die

Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

#11 bob_hayden

bob_hayden

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 01:40

These are now on eBay in the US of A for around $10US.  For myself I can't see spending that when there are oodles of Chinese Safari clones under $2 but some may prefer the looks of this one.

Sponsored Content

|