Snorkel Triumph Nib Question

mariom

Spotted this Snorkel - http://tinyurl.com/mcwyl7x - on the bay of evil. The nib has a much longer point than any of my other Triumph nibbed snorkels. Does anyone know if the shape is indicative of any special properties (eg flex...) or intended use (like shorthand...)?

Thanks

Edited by mariom
=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• Happy Harry

• mariom

• 3rdlakerobert

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Relative newbie more or less, still, especially to Sheaffers. However, I have a growing fondness for Snorkels, TM's, and other conical nibs Sheaffer made. Not quite sure if this is the exact same angle, but if it is, then it is an EF nib. Personally, I don't care for it and I'm putting this pen away until I can buy a replacement nib and get it swapped out. As awesome as the pen is, I am just having too much difficulty with such a thin line for daily writing.

post-132161-0-09319100-1494138226_thumb.jpg

Mariom,

I purchased a non-snorkel feather touch nib for my Connaisseur, and it has that same turned-up shape.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

The nib looks a typical fine and is not a flexible nib ( flexible nibs lack the incised line ). I have seen variations in length in the earlier TM TD series. Anyway this nib is late production and the lack of a country on the nib indicates this and often found on Aust.marked pens produced after US production ceased.

The nib looks a typical fine and is not a flexible nib ( flexible nibs lack the incised line ). I have seen variations in length in the earlier TM TD series. Anyway this nib is late production and the lack of a country on the nib indicates this and often found on Aust.marked pens produced after US production ceased.

Thanks Harry.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Relative newbie more or less, still, especially to Sheaffers. However, I have a growing fondness for Snorkels, TM's, and other conical nibs Sheaffer made. Not quite sure if this is the exact same angle, but if it is, then it is an EF nib. Personally, I don't care for it and I'm putting this pen away until I can buy a replacement nib and get it swapped out. As awesome as the pen is, I am just having too much difficulty with such a thin line for daily writing.

attachicon.gifIMG_4029.jpg

Floss the nib and maybe slide a brass down between the nib and feed.This will take a little force to do. Once nib flows as it should, the EF should make you happy. They are wonderful, IMHO.

Floss the nib and maybe slide a brass down between the nib and feed.This will take a little force to do. Once nib flows as it should, the EF should make you happy. They are wonderful, IMHO.

Tried it. Nope :(

I'm not sure any conical nib can be easily swapped out.

Yes. You are correct. This is one of those pens I am going to put aside and take with me to a pen show and see if I can buy a replacement nib then have a pro do the job for me.

Yes. You are correct. This is one of those pens I am going to put aside and take with me to a pen show and see if I can buy a replacement nib then have a pro do the job for me.

Good luck! :)

I love these conical nibs, and grab one any chance I get, any size, any condition.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

It's hard to tell from the photos. It could be a nib that flexes, or it could be a normal Triumph nib.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

attachicon.gifIMG_4029.jpg

Is there a code stamped on the back of the nib? If the ink flow is an issue it probably needs a good clean to remove any old dried ink. The nib unit is easily removed from the section as it screws out but often needs a bit of heat to loosen the thread sealant which should also be used when the nib unit is screwed back in. first though I'd try soaking the nib in water ( with ~10 ammonia if you have any) overnight and the rinsing well to see if that helps. It's worth determining what size the nib is before swapping out because fine and medium are the most common and other types such as X-fine rather less common and worth more.

I had the pen restored before I could even use it. I'm quite confident the restorer cleaned it out thoroughly (he is highly recommended from these forums) so I'm pretty sure it is just a super thin-lined nib.

I had the pen restored before I could even use it. I'm quite confident the restorer cleaned it out thoroughly (he is highly recommended from these forums) so I'm pretty sure it is just a super thin-lined nib.

FYI. you can unscrew the EF and screw on a replacement nib to your liking. You don't need a sealant of any kind. Pay attention and don't lose the little point seal (looks like a little donut).

Looks like your EF nib has lost its platinum mask. Usually happens when someone gets too enthusiastic with an abrasive polish or buffer.

Edited by Robert111

Well, my nib turned out to be a fairly standard fine. Not super smooth but, OK. The pen had a problem with a corroded sac guard and spring, which I replaced from an orphaned desk pen, While I was at it I also took the nib from that pen, so the pen is now writing very smoothly.

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

FYI. you can unscrew the EF and screw on a replacement nib to your liking. You don't need a sealant of any kind. Pay attention and don't lose the little point seal (looks like a little donut).

Looks like your EF nib has lost its platinum mask. Usually happens when someone gets too enthusiastic with an abrasive polish or buffer.

A rosin based thread sealant is preferable to ensure it doesn't decide to unscrew itself. There is a school of thought that some nibs came without the masking as opposed to the masking being removed. This gains support from the absence of plating on all the areas where plating would be expected especially between the tines ( the plating was claimed to help ink flow).

• 7 months later...

A rosin based thread sealant is preferable to ensure it doesn't decide to unscrew itself. There is a school of thought that some nibs came without the masking as opposed to the masking being removed. This gains support from the absence of plating on all the areas where plating would be expected especially between the tines ( the plating was claimed to help ink flow).

I have a similar 1-tone 14K Triumph nib on an Aussie-made Snorkel Valiant. The nib is inscribed "SHEAFFER'S / AUSTRALIA / 14K" and I can't see any indication that it was ever plated.

fpn_1515485498__snorkel_1-tone_14k_trium