The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Feed On An Esterbrook 2284 Nib

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 00:34

I recently noticed that the feed on my Esterbrook 2284 nib is different than all my 9 other nibs. This one does not have grooves in the bottom surface, but is a smooth cylinder. Is this particular to the 2284?

http://www.fountainp...84_nib_001s.jpg

Attached Images

• Esterbrook 2284 nib 001s.jpg

Edited by corgicoupe, 06 May 2017 - 01:18.

Sponsored Content

#2 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 01:59

afaik there are minimum of three types of feeds in Esterbrook nib units and the one you mentioned i guess is maybe a malfuntioned feed as i also haven't seen one like yours. Here is a image showing three different feeds http://www.fountainp...nibs/?p=1822453. you could also fit in a #5 feed from other pens into the estie collar but afaik there is no other company that made estie feed lookalikes except venus.

Edited by romanat, 06 May 2017 - 02:04.

#3 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 03:14

Why "malfunctioned"? It functions quite well. I have also noticed that a recently acquired 9314-m nib has a hole in the end, a at about the same place as a snorkel feed. Perhaps these were modifications made for specialty nibs to feed ink properly.

#4 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 20:16

afaik there are minimum of three types of feeds in Esterbrook nib units and the one you mentioned i guess is maybe a malfuntioned feed as i also haven't seen one like yours. Here is a image showing three different feeds http://www.fountainp...nibs/?p=1822453. you could also fit in a #5 feed from other pens into the estie collar but afaik there is no other company that made estie feed lookalikes except venus.

Not a malfunction.  I found many these feeda naturally occuring on the "transitional" (flat barrel end, J-pen cap) pens I picked up, and so, based on their design and natural occurrence, place them historically between the "fat-flat" and the rounded, "Sheaffer-style" comb feeds of the later points; (late- or early post- WW2).

For some goofy reason, the feed/nib reminded me of a WW2 PT boat, so my warped logic dubbed them "gunboat" feeds.  My shrink is still puzzled over that thought process.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#5 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 20:27

Why "malfunctioned"? It functions quite well. I have also noticed that a recently acquired 9314-m nib has a hole in the end, a at about the same place as a snorkel feed. Perhaps these were modifications made for specialty nibs to feed ink properly.

sorry i meant to say that the machine which made the grooves might have malfunctioned. malfunctioned or in a sort experiment as maybe it was made on older machines, where the grooves were only made on the sides and later the bottom was cut down by another machine. and for the hole part i have one where the feed has a hole in centre instead of channels and the hole feeds a channel which only servers the nib and ends in the center of the feed. But i am not sure if it was a stock feed or someone put it there.

Not a malfunction.  I found many these feeda naturally occuring on the "transitional" (flat barrel end, J-pen cap) pens I picked up, and so, based on their design and natural occurrence, place them historically between the "fat-flat" and the rounded, "Sheaffer-style" comb feeds of the later points; (late- or early post- WW2).

For some goofy reason, the feed/nib reminded me of a WW2 PT boat, so my warped logic dubbed them "gunboat" feeds.  My shrink is still puzzled over that thought process.

Oh so that means they were made in time when the transitioning was happening, thats good to know.

Edited by romanat, 06 May 2017 - 20:29.

#6 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 23:05

While I don't know the history, I have a lot of those feeds on nibs.  I would agree that they do look like a transition from the flat fee to the round feed we know make up the newest variations of the Esterbrook nib.

#7 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2017 - 23:33

.... and for the hole part i have one where the feed has a hole in centre instead of channels and the hole feeds a channel which only servers the nib and ends in the center of the feed. But i am not sure if it was a stock feed or someone put it there.

Could it be like the one discussed in this thread?

http://www.fountainp...derside-of-nib/

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#8 romanat

romanat

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 00:08

exactly thats the one, i thought someone may have changed the feed at some point but i was wrong, the one i have has the front holes a bit bent but everything else is exactly the same. i think i should keep it safe as i only have one specimen. 

#9 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,006 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2017 - 02:03

Yep that's just like the feed I got on a 9314-M from Gary.

The 2284 was a nib that a vendor gave me at the 2015 Atlanta pen show, basically because he couldn't get it to write. So I have no idea what pen it was originally attached to.

Edited by corgicoupe, 07 May 2017 - 02:04.

Sponsored Content

|