Stylographic Pens

It seems I've found a new (for me at least) area of collecting. I picked up a couple of stylos for a mere pittance because they were "as is, untested".

A good overnight soak in some Windex and they came apart nicely. I used a few paper towels to wipe off the old ink residue (mind the wire!!), added some Higgins waterproof caligraphy ink, and now they work just fine! The ink isn't the best, but is ok for testing purposes.

One is a Koh I Noor Rapidograph #1, the other an old Universal. The writing experience is similar to using a rollerball as both have rounded tubes.

If there's any interest, I'll post a couple of photos.

Edited by Zookie

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vintagepens

• MYU

• DanDeM

• Sandy1

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some, mainly English, and I am interested in the photos of yours...

The ones made in the 1960's and later were given tips specifically designed for drafting and also the application of special inks to things (like celluloid). They were not well suited to writing letters at great length.

Prior to the 1960's, the older stylographs had more rounded tips that were kind of OK at writing. But not nearly as comfortable as a fountain pen. Plus, no line variation.

They're a curious invention in the history of writing instruments. I jumped into it a bit much for a few years, because of the unusual nature of them. There were a whole bunch of them made in curious celluloid colors and patterns. Very beautiful things. And quite uncommon compared to fountain pens. I set aside a few user grade examples to use from time to time, but every time I did and went back to a fountain pen, I felt myself feeling greater joy. The stylos became a momentary curiosity for me... because fountain pens are just superior for writing letters. :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Hi,

As a matter of courtesy, the renowned Mr Binder has something to say about such pens http://www.richardspens.com/?page=ref/design/stylos.htm

I first encountered them when my late father took me to his offices then lost track of [hyperactive] me. I came upon a room in which draughtsmen were converting 'as planned' to ''as modifiedt' drawings. Being ever so curious I clambered up to look over one gent's shoulder. I could not believe his freehand drawing/lettering was so precise.

As for collecting - why not? I reckon tools should be respected and preserved, though those who have the ability to use them diminishes.

Oh, as for clean-up, I suggest Rapid-o-Eze over Windex.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I have a set of Koh-i-Noor Rapid-o-graphs from college (well, the original set of four were my high school graduation present from my parents, and then bought some other ones later). I didn't know when I got them that they were supposed to be for ruling, because the first person I knew who had some used hers for drawing, and that's what I mostly did with mine as well.

I'll admit that I haven't used them in over 30 years. They're probably in a desk drawer someplace and I have no clue what condition they're in at this point.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Stylographic pens can be lovely writers when properly adjusted, often as good as most fountain pens. In my opinion British (Onoto, Conway Stewart and Mabie Todd) and German ones (Rotring, Montblanc and National) from the 20s, 30s and 40s are among best engineered and most attractive.

From my experience they work best with drier inks.

Just a note of warning, it's always better to soak a tip in water before dismantling to avoid a wire damage.

Edited by birchtine

If there's any interest, I'll post a couple of photos.

Did you post the photos? I'd like to see them.

When I was younger I used to write with those things preferably from Staedtler and the only reason was because the chinese ink gave me a much darker black than most ballpoints at the time, of course that was way before I came to find the fountain pen.

Here are a couple of shots of my pens. First is the Koh I Noor Rapidograph No.1, which is a piston filler, and a nicer pen to use than the Universal.

Next, the Universal Stylographic. The sac and lever are good.

I cleaned them, tested both, then cleaned them again as I probably won't use them anytime soon.

As others have already noted, Windex is not a product you want to use for pen maintenance. It contains stuff that reacts badly with a number of plastics, plus other ingredients that aren't so great for human skin.

For most ink removal, diluted household ammonia is your best bet.

I have two. Both are Staedtler Marsh 700's. One I bought new in the spring of 1980 in Arlington, Texas. It is a 4x0 (.18 mm). Then around 2013 I found a 3x0 (.1 mm) on eBay for $7.00. Need to make sure that they are in working order and use them. I used the 4x0 for making annotations in my scriptures on that thin Bible paper. Worked great for that use.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Stylographs can be quite beautiful...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Tintenkuli/Tintenkulis_jumble.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Tintenkuli/Tintenkuli_RGB-1_capped.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/MYU701/pens/Tintenkuli/Tintenkuli_RGB-1_uncapped.jpg

Stylographs can be quite beautiful...

>> massive snip <<

Hi,

WOW!

Many thanks for expanding my horizons of possible enjoyment. :thumbup:

But adding to my bottomless ToDoList is another thing...

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

Hi,

WOW! Many thanks for expanding my horizons of possible enjoyment. :thumbup:

But adding to my bottomless ToDoList is another thing...

Bye,

S1

You're welcome, Sandy. :) I built up my collection over the course of about 3 years, then stopped. Peeking around, it looks like you can still pick these up on-line, but best to buy from German eBay.

http://www.vintagepens.com/images/cat/12606b.jpg

Montblanc stylographic piston-filler in platinum celluloid.

That's a beauty -- love that platinum celluloid pattern! :thumbup:

Hi,

More WOWs

WOW

WOW

WOW

Bye,

S1

I have had Staedtlers and others, and used them. I think they are very beautiful dustables. One I converted to fountain pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

When I was a student, I used them to notate musical scores.

Here's a pair from the '20's by Jackwin, an Eclipse sub-brand.

fpn_1377465871__jackwin_stylo_2_shot_-_1

…and a tad earlier, another sub-brand, this from John Holland, a Royal. This an ED.

fpn_1494528806__hllnd_royal_stylo_-_3.jp

Does anyone know where to find replacement stylos…either spring or weighted?

Edited by DanDeM

Nice pens, Dan!

Unfortunately, the vintage stylographs are rather rare and it's practically impossible to find replacement stylo tips on their own. You usually have to find a donor pen (terrible body but intact tip). However, that can be fraught with problems.

1) The manufacture of the sections had some innate variances, and people assembling these pens would have to test-fit stylo tips until they found one that would fit. It's something to do with the screw threads.

2) Over time, the sections can shrink a bit. They'll also put some stress on the stylo tip installed, without ruining it (which is why they become rather tight fitting), but I believe it affects the spacing of the screw threads a bit. So, when you remove that tip and try to install a replacement tip in the section, you find it won't go in all the way.

As you can see, I've got an extensive stylo collection. Some of the tips are non-functional... the wire inside them corroded and fused to the tube, so there's no way of getting the channel clear. Trying to install replacement tips from donor stylographs worked less than half the time, due to perplexing differences in screw threads matching to the section.

I don't have a handy source for gold wire of the necessary thinness, but I've had good luck using fine stainless steel wire for weighted stylo needles. Not so suitable for bending into the tiny coils needed for a sprung needle, unfortunately.

Does anyone know where to find replacement stylos…either spring or weighted?

As you can see, I've got an extensive stylo collection. Some of the tips are non-functional... the wire inside them corroded and fused to the tube, so there's no way of getting the channel clear. Trying to install replacement tips from donor stylographs worked less than half the time, due to perplexing differences in screw threads matching to the section.

Would not be surprised to learn the corrosion resulted from dried India Ink — which is what I used in the old Rapidograph. I had two EF tips. One on the pen, the other soaking. When the pen ran dry, would flush it before re-filling and install the tip that had been soaking. Messy job.

Would also use a dip music nib to draw the staff. Looked like a trident, but with five points. Time ran longer back then.