Favourite Fp Companion?

Yup--I know exactly what you mean. The reason for tenor clef, and alto (or viola) clef (3rd line middle C is that for instruments that play more or less equally above and below middle C, it avoids having to write (and read) as many ledger lines.

Again--I apologize if I sound like a pedantic jerk.

No that's fine. I'm constantly astounded by the wealth of information people have and even more so when it's *not* pen related.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• RonLyke

• bemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, I think these two go together fairly well, at least in my mind they do !

post-70376-0-64765300-1494509816.jpg

Edited by Mike 59

I'm another fan of the Uni-ball Signo though I like many other pens that you'd find in the same section of the shop like Hi-tec C and Zebra Sarasa as well -- I used to use those all the time in college for notetaking. They can handle a lot of abuse, being jammed around in a backpack, being loaned out, chewed, stepped on, used in impromptu ways on set. I don't use them as often now that I'm in school.

My kid likes the Frixion pens which are easily erasable without leaving rubbery bits and I confess to nicking hers from time to time. I accidentally bought a Prefill -- a multi-pen barrel you can fill with your choice of inserts with different colors and types of inks -- I have emulsion inks in there right now, which is because I didn't know what emulsion ink is (closer to regular ballpoint ink). I thought it was going to be like a thicker gel ink. Live and learn!

• 3 weeks later...

The waterman charleston rollerball is a well built, well balanced pen which takes a variety of gel pen refills such as pilot g2 and pilot juice among others. I personally prefer a 0.3 mm zebra sarasa refill in it.

I prefer to carry matching fountain pen and pencil sets. I have several from Parker and Sheaffer that I rotate through. Some current favorites include my Sheaffer Prelude, in glossy black with nickel trim set, that includes a nice push advance 0.7 mm pencil. I have three nice Parker 51 sets, in maroon, black, and blue, each with the matching push advance 0.9 mm pencil. I have half a dozen or so Parker 45 sets in various colors. I also have a nice Parker Sonnet set. The pencil in that set is a twist advance 0.5 mm sliding sleeve model.

I also often have a Fisher Bullet Space Pen in my pants pocket, just in case. :)

Adam

Dayton, OH

It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

-- Prov 25:2

I keep Parker Duofold rollerball clipped into my shirt- it's a great walking around pen at work. Impressive looking enough to get compliments, but I can still hand it off to anyone without worrying about damage. I use the Parker Gel cartridge in it.

I also have a Waterman Hemisphere which started out as a rollerball, but I've put a Monblanc broad ballpoint cartridge in it. Really, nothing writes like a MB ballpoint cartridge once you get them flowing.

The waterman charleston rollerball is a well built, well balanced pen which takes a variety of gel pen refills such as pilot g2 and pilot juice among others. I personally prefer a 0.3 mm zebra sarasa refill in it.

I used to carry my Charleston too. It'll fit a Montblanc fineliner with a little effort.

Edited by bemon

A Rotring Tikky pencil I've had since university. I've just googled it, and apparently the version I have is now described as vintage, which makes me feel old.

If I must use something instead of one of the two fountain pens I always have with me when I go out I prefer to use a pencil.

The pencil may be a wood cased one, or a mechanical pencil from my bag. But I am not carrying the bag, a black nylon brief case, much these days. So there's a wood cased pencil in the surplus Swiss Army medical bag that I sling across my shoulder which is mostly there to hold a small camera. If I am really forced to I will use whatever ballpoint pen my wife has brought along with us.

I dislike ballpoints :sick: enough that I just avoid them. And so any ballpoint I'd carry around would rarely get used and would probably have a dead refill in it when I went to use it. I have half a drawer of a desk filled with dead ballpoint pens from the '80s, when I was using them still. They're mostly BIC stick pens of various sorts that I stockpiled but never got around to using, including the BIC Crystal and others. There are some BIC "Wide Body" ballpoints in that drawer, one of which I used to use for meeting notes. It's the original BIC "Wide Body." which has a nose cone that can be unscrewed so that you can replace the cartridge. The later ones have the nose cone glued on so that you have to throw away the entire pen once you've used up the ink in the cartridge. I also have a Fisher Space Pen around here somewhere. That has to be 20 years old. I also have various ballpoint refills in a desk drawer.

Well, the bottom line is that I prefer a pencil over a ballpoint, but I can use ballpoints. I can use them if they're not too narrow. My arthritis is a factor here. Having to shove a ball that's got some oily, and maybe sticky, ink on it along paper requires a lot more force than gliding a fountain pen across the page. I try to stay away from that sort of thing, unless in case of some necessity :glare: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

• 2 weeks later...

I like ballpoints, especially the Pelikan K200, K215, and the Montblanc 164. And of course the Jotter. The only fountain pens I have enjoyed using as much are the Parker 51, Montblanc 144, Pelikan M2xx/4xx and Lamy Safari. The rest are agony material in one way or another.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Usually a Parker Jotter and a mechanical pencil in either 0.5 or 0.7, right now the Zebra Delguard (though I'm looking right now also at the Pelikan K200 & D200 to have a nicer & more sophisticated set).

But often also the Pilot Acroball and Uni Jetstream too.

Pentel Kerry 0.5

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite FP companions are moi, the notebook I'm carrying, and the blotter square I always carry in my shirt pocket or the inside breast pocket of my jacket or coat, in that order. When I'm away from home and I need something other than an FP I grab one of my Pentel P205 mechanical pencils, either the one in my briefcase, the one in my backpack, or the one in my car. When I need a ballpoint, I use the closest one. If you're out in the world you're likely never to be more than twenty-five feet (and rarely more than ten) from a ballpoint pen at all times. Ballpoints are everywhere.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I don't have any ballpoints.....I just realized that, not a single one....so my fountain pen companions are often two wooden pencils from my ever growing collection, or my Cda 884 Fixpencil.

I have been switching between two pairs of wooden pencils, 1)a Cda Swiss Pencil, and one of the pencils from Viking, or 2) a pencil from Apsara and Shahsons, with a little light hearted belief that I can bring world peace to my shirt pocket!

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I usually keep a Lamy 2000 4-Color ballpoint in my pocket, with the Black, Blue and Red replaced with Fine Space Pen Universal Refills, and the green slot replaced with a stylus tip.

It's handy to lend out to people who've never used fountain pens, I've always got red and blue available, and it has the utility of being able to write on things I can't write on with other pens. It works pretty well, overall.