Favourite Fp Companion?

Hi, after reading a lot of posts in a lot of threads on FPN I think it's safe to say a lot of us accept the necessity of carrying a faithful companion to our (current) favourite fountain pen, that isn't a FP. For me it's montblanc le grand BP, platinum line to accompany my MB 146 platinum. But I find that as part of my daily rotation the companion changes more often than FP. Now I know that a lot of you hold non FPs in some disregard, but for me using a quality BP is as important as getting the choice of FP right, so just wondered if anyone else has a favourite Robin to their FP Batman?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• inkstainedruth

• RonLyke

• bemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not much change for me in that regard. I always have a Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5, a Rotring Rapid Pro 0.5, & a faceted vintage Autopoint 0.9 for pencil needs. A stainless Parker Jotter or Maxmadco with a black Itoya gpr-7 if I forsee extended ballpoint use. Have a stainless Parker Classic bp/mp set that could pull double duty, but the Itoya doesn't fit as well (I think it has a Fisher refill atm), so it doesn't see as much use.

Sharpie, Sharpie Pen, S&W M&P II pen for lending & other jobs.

Edited by NinthSphere

I always travel with my Pelikan K800 ballpoint and my 30 year old Mont Blanc ballpoint is always at my desk. I recently resurrected my Rotring 700 rollerball which is traveling with on the trip I am on at the moment (along with the K800). As much as I love my M800s I do not leave the house with them. :)

I like the MB 164 ballpoints, but the twist action isn't convenient in the grocery store. So, I use the Pelikan K200 and K400 click action ballpoints.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I do not so much carry one as have a few secreted about the place. There are a Waterman ballpoint and 0.9 mm Waterman pencil (both matching the Expert pen) in the "randoms" cup on my desk upstairs, a Pentel 0.5 mm downstairs, My father's 1.1 mm Wahl-Eversharp (1928) in the leather Dayrunner when that is with me and otherwise a 1.1 mm Waterman 0521 (1928) in my bag. If overseas then the Parker ballpoint gifted to me nigh on 50 years ago will be in the travel wallet. At least on its rare outings the Parker gets to go far.

X

My ever faithful Lamy 2000 ballpoint, a great pen in hand. If only Monteverde made a gel ink refill for this pen. It would be the only way my writing experience with this pen could be said to be perfect.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

I keep a Parker 45 Flighter bp/mp set in my Franklin planner. They don't see nearly as much use as any of my fountain pens but I like to keep them handy.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Pilot G2, .5mm. I love them dearly-- I can push them through triplicate paper with no harm done, and I can use them with no pressure and get a smooth writing experience.

I like the MB 164 ballpoints, but the twist action isn't convenient in the grocery store. So, I use the Pelikan K200 and K400 click action ballpoints.

Parker Jotter forever and always :)

The Pelikan has the Jotter action and uses the Jotter refill. It has a little more girth. It's like using a slightly bigger Jotter. This helps if you get a bit of arthritis.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Any disdain, that I express for a particular super hero, is contrived in friendly, good humor.

Robin is the young boy in tights, right ? Nothing personal, Boy Wonder. I carry to Batmans.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Hi,

Yours truly prefers two boy wonders, whether in tights or otherwise:

> Parker Jotter Flighter with a Space Pen refill

> EF Sharpie.

I am surprised how little I use a pencil.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

For some drawing purposes I have a stash of Uniball rollerball pens (medium). And a Berel Turquoise lead holder.

I also occasionally have either a refillable brush pen (filled with highlighter ink) or a Preppy refillable highlighter marker. Those mostly go with me to choir rehearsals for times when I will lose the staff line on page turns and such; I used to use highlighter pens all the time for that, then got to the point where I didn't need them -- but on some pieces, particularly the five part ones, I will lose track of where I am unless I know the piece *very* well (I read music okay -- as long as it's not bass clef, but that generally isn't an issue since as an alto I'm either dealing with G-clef or tenor-clef (which is just G-clef an octave down) but I mostly suck at sight-singing. I have to learn stuff by ear and rote memorization when it comes to choral music and a lot of stuff my choir sings has very wacky open chords or (for some stuff we sang a few years ago in an "all Orlando di Lasso" concert) the individual parts are kinda random and it's only when it's all put together that it makes sense.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Ruth--I hate to be one of those picky types, but the clef on which they write the parts for the tenor singers (G or treble clef an octave down) is not tenor clef. Tenor clef (often seen in music for cello, bassoon, trombone) has middle C on the 4th line.

Edited by RonLyke

Ruth--I hate to be one of those picky types, but the clef on which they write the parts for the tenor singers (G or treble clef an octave down) is not tenor clef. Tenor clef (often seen in music for cello, bassoon, trombone) has middle C on the 4th line.

Well okay, maybe it's just the tenor line. It's G-clef with a little 8 under the clef squiggle (so it's basically an octave down from as written). The important thing is that I can READ it. Can't necessarily sing to it, but if I had a piano I could play it and have it come out sounding right.

Bass clef, OTOH? Not a clue. :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yup--I know exactly what you mean. The reason for tenor clef, and alto (or viola) clef (3rd line middle C is that for instruments that play more or less equally above and below middle C, it avoids having to write (and read) as many ledger lines.

Again--I apologize if I sound like a pedantic jerk.

I typically keep a Levenger Walletini in my wallet. It's not great for writing extensively due to its small size, but it is great in a pinch.

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

I rotate between ballpoints and rollerballs as a backup to my rotation of FPs. Usually carry 2 FPs and one alternate.

Favorites include:

- Montblanc 90 Years Special Edition Classique BP

-Graf von Faber-Castell Intuition Platino wood Pernambuco RB

-MB StarWalker Red Gold Metal BP and RB

-MB StarWalker Cool Blue BP

-MB StarWalker Midnight Metal RB and BP

-MB StarWalker Rubber and Metal RB

-Also a Waterman Edson Blue ballpoint.

Occassionally a Pilot G2 or Pilot Center of Gavity somehow sneaks in.

Edited by 888007888