Parker Vacumatic With A Juicy Flexy Nib ;)

alanvdleek

I have recently bought a Parker Vacumatic that I'm very satisfied with.

After having used modern fountain pens for a while, I wanted to go a step further and buy a vintage fountain pen with some spring/flex to it.

I was looking for either a Waterman 52 or a Mabie Todd Swan, but ended up buying a pair of a guy who wasn't into fountain pens but happened to find 2 of them at home. (This Vacumatic and a Swan which I will also review once it's properly restored).

My expectations for this Parker were low since parker is known for it's nail-hard nibs, but it came together with a Swan for a price that wasn't even half the value of one individual pen, so I thought I would give it a go.

I'm so thankful for making this decision, because what a pen this is! The ink capacity is enormous and the nib is so smooth and so flexy! It writes much better than lots of modern fountain pens I've used. Strange to realize that the pen is 70-80 years old! It's in near-mint condition as well, which is very seldom for a pen this age. The geometric design in the celluloid is also beautiful, I really wonder how they made this back in the days.

It behaves perfectly. It can be transported without filling your cap with ink, it doesn't blob ink on your papers and has a very consistent, wet ink flow. I'm definitely going to use it for my final exams next week. This pen has completely changed my opinion on Parker, though I must admit that I have no experience with modern Parkers. If you can get your hands on a Vacumatic, I would definitely give it a go. Very light weight, very consistent, very reliable. Why don't they make such pens anymore :( ..

Enjoy the pictures!

Regards,

Alan

When people ask me how I designed my signature I can only tell them one thing; ''Find the right fountain pen and it will do so for you''

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alanvdleek

• Rose Nibs

• inkstainedruth

• jmnav

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Little writing sample post-127760-0-42141100-1493920344_thumb.jpg

When people ask me how I designed my signature I can only tell them one thing; ''Find the right fountain pen and it will do so for you''

Picture of the pen and the nib post-127760-0-70173700-1493920513_thumb.jpg

Wow, congratulations for your purchase! I love my Parker vacumatic from the late 30s, it has also kept all its vibrancy and color. That celluloid they used on them is a wonder. But mine is a nail. Very smooth and reliable, rigid nib. I had no idea that some of these came with flexible nibs. I didn't even know that Parker produced flexible nibs at all! Mine is the gray/black striated model.

I don't think you need to try modern parkers, by the reviews I have read Parker has evolved from being arguably the best pen brand prior to world war II to being a quite mediocre company nowadays.

Edited by Albert26

Most of my Parkers are like what Albert26 has -- nails for nibs. Especially on the Vacs (much as I love them otherwise). The best I have is a semi-flex Laidtone Duofold.

Nice find you got there.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Among my vacs is one with a flex nib and it's a Canadian too. It is one of my favourite pens. My best modern pens may be on a par with it, but only just.

• 4 weeks later...

Certainly a very nice pen but, I have a look at my past memories and your writing sample and I have to say I don't see "flexible" anywhere near "Parker Vacumatic". Your sample cries "springy" at most, which is aligned with what I know of this model, so I should ask what other flex nibs have you tested before?

I agree with springy.

I have two vacumatics: one is a nail, indeed. The other one is a nice smooth springy nib.

Are there any Vacumatic's real flexy nibs?

Edit - But that is a very nice pen you have there. I am glad you enjoy it.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo