Lamy Pacific Blue / Lamy Turquoise

lgsoltek

I think it's pretty lame of Lamy to give another name to an existing ink and call it a "limited edition", but since I don't have Lamy Turquoise, I got a bottle of it anyway.

I seem to have heard quite a few people rave about Lamy Turquoise. But for me, it's just a mediocre turquoise ink. The colour is what I'd call "standard turquoise", nothing exciting. The flow is medium, doesn't have much lubrication. I think we can have a better deal getting J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche (much more interesting with a dark outlining and smoother flow) or R&K Blu Mare (cheap). Well it'll still a bargain compared to Montblanc UNICEF turquoise though...

Splash

fpn_1493819492__img_3699.jpg

Sample

fpn_1493819196__jpeg_image-698cbd3e207e-

Compare

I'd choose the Lamy one over the Robert Oster anytime, which has even less lubrication and much drier and so much more expensive.

fpn_1493819204__jpeg_image-698cbd3e207e-

(Thanks to HalloweenHJB for the CRV)

fpn_1493819199__jpeg_image-698cbd3e207e-

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• lgsoltek

• antichresis

• ErrantSmudge

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I like its colour on your scans and that Akkerman does look really close to Eau de Nil. I did a double take when I saw "Akkerman".

As to turquoise inks, the Lamy does come recommended. But I think equally so as other B&M-available Turquoise inks. Looking at various websites, Lamy, Sheaffer, Waterman, and R&K have very close shades; practically interchangeable if it's not your favourite colour. On a recent trip abroad, I ordered Waterman only because it's not available locally. The price difference was negligible across all four brands for me, probably just a dollar apart in toto. R&K is really much cheaper in Europe though, and should be the default choice for potential buyers in that region.

LINK

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

I'm one of those fans of Lamy Turquoise. It, as well as Lamy Violet, are the two standouts from Lamy's standard ink lineup. (Shout-out to Lamy Black, but it is, well, black). I fell in love with it when I discovered fountain pens around the turn of the millenium.

Lamy Turquoise contains a hint of green, just enough to distinguish it from its competitors of the day (Sheaffer Peacock, Waterman South Seas) but not so much that it becomes a blue-green ink, which for some reason I'm not so fond of.

From today's perspective, I appreciate the shading and sheening this ink provides. Especially the shading I get when loaded into a Safari, on Clairefontaine paper.

There's so many more turquoises available now than when I first discovered this ink, that there likely is something better now. (Glad to see I don't have to look at Robert Oster for a good alternative). But I think Lamy Turquoise/Pacific is still a good turquoise ink.

Edited by ErrantSmudge