You're The President Of The Usa, And You Select A Fountain Pen As A Gift To Visiting Dignitaries. Which One?

Funkmon

It has to be American, and it has to be American made, and still being produced. Money no object, but not any of those $10000 solid gold pens that are expensive just because they're gold.

So, major companies like Parker are out, they're in France. Some high end Crosses are still in the running iirc, but mostly it's going to be a choice of the small pen makers.

What would you guys pick?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AL01

• Bookman

• Funkmon

• Erik Dalton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe F-C Panther 40s with a triple layer r/w/b/ band on the cap.

Maybe F-C Panther 40s with a triple layer r/w/b/ band on the cap.

Funny, I was also thinking something from Franklin Christoph.

"Oh deer."

Probably Franklin Cristoph is one of the only viable options.

Pretty much. Going with US made, the options that come immediately to mind are Franklin-Christoph, Edison, Bexley, Monteverde, some Cross. A few more like Fisher of Pens, Newton, or Scriptorium if you go away from the larger production, but those come with a work queue.

Wait. What Monteverdes are made in the USA?

Fuzzy on that. US based company. Like most that I mentioned, the nibs are German. Bock, iirc. Information is vague on how much else is outsourced. May fall under the same deal as Cross, but it'd be a (bleep) shoot which pens qualify.

That reminds me, there's also Karas Kustoms & Tactile Turn.

Edited by NinthSphere

I'd rotate between smaller pen turners. Batches that last for two weeks or a month. Spread the love.

Of course! It would be interesting to hear your perspective.

IMO the Edison Collier is a uniquely American design -- created by a pen fan, for pen fans.

Scientia potentia est.

Conklin pens used to be USA made (Toledo). Dunno where they're made now, but heck, Mark Twain endorsed them, enhancing their USA legacy.

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

It has to be American, and it has to be American made, and still being produced. Money no object, but not any of those $10000 solid gold pens that are expensive just because they're gold.

So, major companies like Parker are out, they're in France. Some high end Crosses are still in the running iirc, but mostly it's going to be a choice of the small pen makers.

What would you guys pick?

You say it has to be American, but I'm the president and can do whatever I feel like doing. :)

I'm going with a vintage Soyuz fountain pen. Cost is no object, because I'm going to make Mexico pay for it!

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6U8AAOSww3tY6Mb5/s-l500.jpg

Conklin pens used to be USA made (Toledo). Dunno where they're made now, but heck, Mark Twain endorsed them, enhancing their USA legacy.

I don't know either. I think I'll call them.

I can't edit that post on mobile so I'll double post. I called Yafa. Conklins and Monteverdes are all USA Assembled, but the parts are from Italy, and Germany and Taiwan.

You say it has to be American, but I'm the president and can do whatever I feel like doing. :)

I'm going with a vintage Soyuz fountain pen. Cost is no object, because I'm going to make Mexico pay for it!

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6U8AAOSww3tY6Mb5/s-l500.jpg

Nice below-the-belt shot ! Sincerest respects. Don't be too harsh, though. Not everybody, to her regret, bothers with Wisconsin. :rolleyes:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

If I was President of the USA, I would dispatch my minions to seek out a domestic Pen maker who could be relied on for legislation signing pens, everyday work pens(of course I'd use a FP) and Special 'Gift" Pens for foreign dignitaries. By doing that The pen company gets enough business to keep up with these special interests and the funding to develop a unique and special "Gift Pen".

I think to make it practical you would have to offer them some expectation of steady businesses in order for them to finance the development and production of a special pen that may only be given out a couple times a year.

I would go with either Franklin Cristopher or Edison (if they could move into more business like colors).

Or, maybe both companies to share the load.

I think a move like this is way overdue.

No to change roles, If i were Edison pen or Franklin Christopher, I'd be putting together a presentation and banging on the door of the White House until i could get someone to listen.

It turns my stomach to see the president using Cross Pens.

I can't edit that post on mobile so I'll double post. I called Yafa. Conklins and Monteverdes are all USA Assembled, but the parts are from Italy, and Germany and Taiwan.

So, like pretty much anyone else in the US then.

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

Well, if I was in that position, then the world would be a very different one, and it would be easy. I would have a purchasing person call up the Parker-Sheaffer pen Company on the Bell Picture phone and place an order from them for a sample pen to be sent to the next train depot where the rolling White House was scheduled to stop. I would ask for it to be sent by Pneumatic tube Parcel Express, the fastest way to send a small package or letter in the world. I would personally examine the Ebonite Swirl Red, White and Blue Fountain Pen with Gold White Dot Arrow Clip, and contrasting Black Hills Gold Cap. Hopefully, it would have a Fine Gold inlaid nib and not a Medium as I would want it for writing, not just signing. If it met my approval, I would order more for signing, but with Inlaid Gold Clips and Caps and Palladium Silver nibs. After all, one does need to set a good example as President and giving Solid Gold pens away wouldn't be financially prudent. Now for everyday use, some good black Esterbrook Presedential Seal marked $2.00 pens, with the writers choice of nibs would be provided. Note please the absence of Ballponts as in my world, the Reynolds Rocket would have been an absolute failure, and Mr. BIC would have invested in something else, perhaps Renault and then in this other world the world would remember the quirky streamlined see-through Renault Crystal which due to it's low cost has outlasted the VW bug and remained a staple in much of the world's auto fleet, despite not having made a dent in the US market, which remains dominated by Studebaker, Nash and Packard.

Edited by Parker51

Well, if I was in that position, then the world would be a very different one, and it would be easy. I would have a purchasing person call up the Parker-Sheaffer pen Company on the Bell Picture phone and place an order from them for a sample pen to be sent to the next train depot where the rolling White House was scheduled to stop. I would ask for it to be sent by Pneumatic tube Parcel Express, the fastest way to send a small package or letter in the world. I would personally examine the Ebonite Swirl Red, White and Blue Fountain Pen with Gold White Dot Arrow Clip, and contrasting Black Hills Gold Cap. Hopefully, it would have a Fine Gold inlaid nib and not a Medium as I would want it for writing, not just signing. If it met my approval, I would order more for signing, but with Inlaid Gold Clips and Caps and Palladium Silver nibs. After all, one does need to set a good example as President and giving Solid Gold pens away wouldn't be financially prudent. Now for everyday use, some good black Esterbrook Presedential Seal marked $2.00 pens, with the writers choice of nibs would be provided. Note please the absence of Ballponts as in my world, the Reynolds Rocket would have been an absolute failure, and Mr. BIC would have invested in something else, perhaps Renault and then in this other world the world would remember the quirky streamlined see-through Renault Crystal which due to it's low cost has outlasted the VW bug and remained a staple in much of the world's auto fleet, despite not having made a dent in the US market, which remains dominated by Studebaker, Nash and Packard.

Yea, and I'd have moved the capital to Hawaii, the White House on the beach, where I could surf all day, tell people what to do and have no need for pen or pencil.😀😀