Pilot 742 Falcon Suddenly Not Writing? Is Anyone Else Experiencing The Same Issue?

steve50

Hey fountain pen people,

So I am quite fond of this pen and especially the FA nib, because it's very versatile. When you hold it with no pressure it's like a wet fine nib with nice shading and you can also use it as a flexible nib. I was aware of the problem people were having with it though, that it sometimes can't keep up with too much flexing and skips. Indeed this was an issue when I used a dry ink; however, with the pilot ink that came with it and Parker Quink blue black this is not the case at all - it write constantly and never skips.

Now the problem I have is a rather unique one as I haven't read from anywhere reporting the same issue. Basically it writes superbly most of the time but once in a while it would just completely get dry and not write any more! It's clearly different from that flexing and drying problem because this has nothing to do with flexing. It just stops writing regardless of the pressure. I usually just half-press the converter button and then it write well again. But I am really curious about what is causing this problem.

Any diagnosis? Also can I disassemble this pen to see what's happening inside? Is the nib unit a screw-in type like Pilot 74 or is it a friction fit?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steve50

• Margana

• Drone

• Icywolfe

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve- your question is best posted to the sub-forum for Japanese pens. More people with experience with this specific Pilot pen are likely to see your question and be able to provide the answers you are looking for.

Do a search for surface tension - might be the ticket.

Sounds like surface tension preventing ink from flowing into the feed. If I were you I'd clean the pen out nice and thoroughly with a pen flush and see if that fixes the problem. I had the exact same experience with my first Lamy Safari some time ago, and it resolved itself after I did this.

Stay unposted, friends.

Plant you ear to the table. Then look at the feed while you write.

You could be bending it in a odd way. Like the ink stream will detach from the nib. Having a far too low of a bend can do it. The feed plays more nicely if you a grip that is more vertical but you risk wrecking your nib.

Also I think that pen uses a #10 feed which is fairly slow. A #15 nib/feed is the best combo for the FA nib. Those are only found in the C743. The #10 CO nib I have on my C912 will run dry often.

If all fails buy a bottle of PhotoFlo and add 1 drop into a 50ml bottle of ink. And the rest of the PhotoFlo bottle you can save or use for a terrible prank like wet a stair case with water and then pour PhotoFlo down than stair case. You will end up with the slipperiest staircase out there.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

Surface tension. Switch to cartridge and see if problem does not disappear. Add surfactant when using converter.

My Website

I would second giving the pen a good flush, soak and clean first.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Thanks for the helpful comments fellas! I can't remember if I flushed this pen with a cleaner but will try it again and see.

Thanks for the helpful comments fellas! I can't remember if I flushed this pen with a cleaner but will try it again and see.

Add some PhotoFlo if that doesn't work.

#Nope

Hi stevechoi50,

I have the same pen and nib. Good choice.

What do you mean by "Suddenly Not Writing"? Did the pen write for years without a problem then "suddenly" (like yesterday) stop writing all together? What do you exactly mean by "Not Writing"?

How long have you owned and actually used the pen? How many different inks and (important) papers have you tried with this particular Pilot 742/FA pen? Did the problem "suddenly" appear when you changed something, like the type of ink or paper? Do you clean the pen regularly? Have you checked/changed your ink to see if it may be the problem, maybe your ink went bad since you last filled the pen?

I wholeheartedly support the recommendation to insert a fresh cartridge and test the pen. Make sure you use a Pilot/Namiki Blue ink cartridge.

For years my CH 742/FA has been a consistently good performer with almost any ink and paper. I emphasize almost because there are some inks and papers that just will not work reliably with the pen.

Avoid red and brown inks or inks known not to flow well. Avoid inks that have "inclusions" that cause a lot of shading or sparkling. I exclusively use only Pilot/Namiki Blue (preferred) or Pilot Blue-Black ink in my 742/FA. That may seem boring to some, but it eliminates any ink issues with this pen - and I normally use the 742 in a professional environment where only conservative colors are appropriate.

With this pen I avoid papers that are "filled" with the likes of China Clay (a.k.a. Kaolinite). These papers are very smooth to write on, but they do not absorb ink as well as unfilled papers. This can impede ink-flow, and the 743 with the Japanese fine FA nib needs more ink absorption to ensure reliable starting and flow.

For-example, a paper I do not recommend with this particular pen and nib combination is Clairfontaine, especially if you are flexing the nib.

Remember to use a fresh piece of paper and make sure your hands are clean when writing. With some papers, oils from your hands will cause problems with ink absorption, which affect ink flow.

For now I'll assume you didn't "spring" the nib on your pen.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck - David

Edited by Drone

Hi stevechoi50,

I have the same pen and nib. Good choice.

What do you mean by "Suddenly Not Writing"? Did the pen write for years without a problem then "suddenly" (like yesterday) stop writing all together? What do you exactly mean by "Not Writing"?

How long have you owned and actually used the pen? How many different inks and (important) papers have you tried with this particular Pilot 742/FA pen? Did the problem "suddenly" appear when you changed something, like the type of ink or paper? Do you clean the pen regularly? Have you checked/changed your ink to see if it may be the problem, maybe your ink went bad since you last filled the pen?

I wholeheartedly support the recommendation to insert a fresh cartridge and test the pen. Make sure you use a Pilot/Namiki Blue ink cartridge.

For years my CH 742/FA has been a consistently good performer with almost any ink and paper. I emphasize almost because there are some inks and papers that just will not work reliably with the pen.

Avoid red and brown inks or inks known not to flow well. Avoid inks that have "inclusions" that cause a lot of shading or sparkling. I exclusively use only Pilot/Namiki Blue (preferred) or Pilot Blue-Black ink in my 742/FA. That may seem boring to some, but it eliminates any ink issues with this pen - and I normally use the 742 in a professional environment where only conservative colors are appropriate.

With this pen I avoid papers that are "filled" with the likes of China Clay (a.k.a. Kaolinite). These papers are very smooth to write on, but they do not absorb ink as well as unfilled papers. This can impede ink-flow, and the 743 with the Japanese fine FA nib needs more ink absorption to ensure reliable starting and flow.

For-example, a paper I do not recommend with this particular pen and nib combination is Clairfontaine, especially if you are flexing the nib.

Remember to use a fresh piece of paper and make sure your hands are clean when writing. With some papers, oils from your hands will cause problems with ink absorption, which affect ink flow.

For now I'll assume you didn't "spring" the nib on your pen.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck - David

Hi David, thanks for that. I've been using it for a few months now. I think I first experienced this problem only recently. At first I had the same issue that many people complain about, i.e., skipping and not writing consistently, but this was resolved when I changed to wetter inks like the original Pilot cartridge that came with it. By suddenly not writing I mean that the flow stops altogether and not temporarily, and not work again until I use the converter button to saturate the feed and get it going again. I don't think this is to do with paper, because it seems like something is deterring the flow altogether. I think I will try the flushing solution once I finish the ink that's in the converter now!

My experience with a 742 FA was disappointing from the first page. Even after an adjustment by a nibmeister, it has been a stinker. Poor flow and no flow are the issues despite trying Waterman BBk, R&K Blau Permanente, Iroshizuku asa-gao and syo-ro, Diamine China Blue, Noodler's Black, J.H. Perle Noire, Platinum Black, and a Pilot Black cartridge. The pen was cleaned between every fill. Meh.

However, if your pen worked well for a while, something changed to make it inconsistent. When that is corrected, your Pilot ought to work well again. Please post whatever resolves the flow issue. Happy endings are always welcome.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

Hi David, thanks for that. I've been using it for a few months now. I think I first experienced this problem only recently. At first I had the same issue that many people complain about, i.e., skipping and not writing consistently, but this was resolved when I changed to wetter inks like the original Pilot cartridge that came with it. By suddenly not writing I mean that the flow stops altogether and not temporarily, and not work again until I use the converter button to saturate the feed and get it going again. I don't think this is to do with paper, because it seems like something is deterring the flow altogether. I think I will try the flushing solution once I finish the ink that's in the converter now!

Hmmm... If it worked OK then stopped as you describe even though nothing was changed, then something has gone wrong. Cleaning may help, but I'm concerned the nib may be sprung to some extent so that it is no longer in full contact with the feed.

If cleaning doesn't fix the problem I suggest sending it back to Pilot. I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

Best of luck, David

My experience with a 742 FA was disappointing from the first page. Even after an adjustment by a nibmeister, it has been a stinker. Poor flow and no flow are the issues despite trying Waterman BBk, R&K Blau Permanente, Iroshizuku asa-gao and syo-ro, Diamine China Blue, Noodler's Black, J.H. Perle Noire, Platinum Black, and a Pilot Black cartridge. The pen was cleaned between every fill. Meh.

However, if your pen worked well for a while, something changed to make it inconsistent. When that is corrected, your Pilot ought to work well again. Please post whatever resolves the flow issue. Happy endings are always welcome.

Hi Margana, I've seen enough reports of 742/FA pens that "just don't work" to make me accept that there are some "Stinkers" out there; and that disturbs me. My 742/FA is not a stinker, actually it is much the opposite. I guess I got lucky.

Hi Margana, I've seen enough reports of 742/FA pens that "just don't work" to make me accept that there are some "Stinkers" out there; and that disturbs me. My 742/FA is not a stinker, actually it is much the opposite. I guess I got lucky.

Lucky indeed!

A certified Inkophile

Sorry to hear that your experience with the pen wasn't a very pleasant one - I know how that feels! Do you write with much pressure? As was pointed out by some people, despite being a flexible nib I heard that it's not particularly suited for copperplate. I don't use this pen for that kind of writing: I write joined up in English (without flexing too much) and also Chinese, and the result is excellent (apart from the issue I reported). Does it have a problem too when you apply no pressure?

Sorry to hear that your experience with the pen wasn't a very pleasant one - I know how that feels! Do you write with much pressure? As was pointed out by some people, despite being a flexible nib I heard that it's not particularly suited for copperplate. I don't use this pen for that kind of writing: I write joined up in English (without flexing too much) and also Chinese, and the result is excellent (apart from the issue I reported). Does it have a problem too when you apply no pressure?

Yes, same problem with applying no pressure. My vintage flex nibs and modern Namiki Falcons work better for my needs which do not include formal calligraphy. I like the pen but just can't use it. Perhaps a different nibmeister could make it work as it should, but I am not longer willing to invest in it.

A certified Inkophile

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanna report back to the forum that the problem has been resolved by flushing the pen with a solution. Dunno why I haven't tried it before. Hope this is useful for future users.