Wing Sung 698 14K, Worthit?

Has anyone tried one? I cannot find a single review on the 14k version. I have tried the 659 which uses the same nib and feed as the 698, not bad at all, actually impressive given the price. Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• truthpil

• Stefan-Ionut-Marius

• Mech-for-i

• DasKaltblut

More than double from what I've found. $50US for the gold nib VS $17.50US for the Steel.

Others may have found it for less.

I'm curious to see a review of the gold nib version as well. I have two of the steel, fine nib versions and both are nice for the price and so far, have been reliable, decent writers.

It costs nearly the double, right?

The gold coloured hardware should be gold plated.

And wow... for 50$ I'd just buy the Hero 100 and save.

659 comes with 2 nibs with feed units and writes well which makes it well worthit. With the 698 there is contenders with steel nibs who may be better at that price. I am hoping that gold nib is much different, in the photos it looks very different.

I too have been interested in getting more information regarding the 14k version of this pen. I bought the Gold trim with a F nib and really enjoy the writing experience. The pen with the standard nib writes rather smooth with a very little hint of feedback. It's written every time I've picked it up without difficulty. I ordered the chrome trim because of the pleasant writing experience and the attractive appearance the clear demonstrator has to offer.

post-136255-0-14984000-1494200661_thumb.jpg

There is a video by Mr Chen on you tube that references the 14k Gold nib version and shows a writing sample. He seemed to be very impressed by the way it wrote compared to the steel F or EF.

Cliff

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mr. Pink, (btw, is that a reference to the Taking of Pelham 123? :) ),

Here is another discussion on the pen in question... I've had my eye on this one, myself:

- Anthony

Based on the images of the 14K nib, it's very plausible that it's the same as those made by Wing Sung/Lucky before its closure and originally fitted to models such as 275, 504, 2005, and perhaps others.

For that reason, the feed designed to take nibs of Pilot standard configuration would not be taken full advantage by this nib, for the lack of the two downward tabs for locking it into the correct position.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Actually the sellers ( at least the one I talk to ) clearly state these 14K nib was from the old 1990 stock that are put onto 270, 271, 200X series and thus the feed was made to fit that too. I am going to place an order for one, now the Q to ask is what color

• 1 month later...

Actually the sellers ( at least the one I talk to ) clearly state these 14K nib was from the old 1990 stock that are put onto 270, 271, 200X series and thus the feed was made to fit that too. I am going to place an order for one, now the Q to ask is what color

Did you ever place that order? I'm interested in your review. I have two 698s myself. One with the gold trim and the other in chrome. I'm of the humble opinion that this is hands down the best Chinese pen I purchased this year so far. It feels like a more expensive pen. There's no fear of it leaking or cracking like my other favorite the Jinhao 992. It also gives the user the ability to give it a thorough cleaning. My only wish would be a demonstrator with a black cap with gold trim and chrome trim. :drool: That would look real cool to me. Next to my Pelikan M200s these are the pens I'm carrying most of the time. :D Cliff

Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier. When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite ...

I intend to place the order soon, am waiting for my dealer to report back on availability ( I want the ivory and chrome or Gray-Blue and gold version ). Initially I was going to place the order sooner like a week ago but the new Caliart Ego 2 ( Solid Color ver. ) got on my radar and the money goes there. That stated, my dealer tell me that the gold version only differs in the feed and nib so the piston part will be the same, so do the materials. The gold nib is one from the old Wing Sung 270/200X series and I have a number of them ( both steel and gold ). My impression of the gold nib is it do show a ( tiny ) bit more softness and generally write a bit broader but no smoother than the steel. Its also a typical old fashion friction feed with no index so one can easily swap it for some other nib or vice versa. The chief difference would be the feel , while its only a tiny bit softer it feels less feedbacky and this may or may not work for you. get back to you if I got anything else updated

Edited by Mech-for-i

It looks to be a good Chinese pen. What other Chinese pens sport 14k gold nibs?

Hero 100, Hero 200, Wing Sung 400, Wing Sung 300, Gold Star 900 , there's plenty more ... but Hero and Wing Sung also had wide range of 10K and 12K gold nibbed models, and some vintage model had not so common 18K , the list is pretty long .. but those mentioned ones are the common ones.

• 6 months later...

I'm now thinking about going for the 14k option on this pen as well, but this thread seems to have died.

Who has tried this nib and what do you think of it??

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

I have it. It is a tiny bit springier and wetter than the steel. But it is scratchy and would need work. At US $50 not worth it. I might pay half of that.

pictures here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/331870-battle-of-the-wing-sung-piston-fillers/

Also note the gold nib in not swappable with the steel - it has that notch and the feed is slightly different to accomodate it.

Edited by DasKaltblut

I have it. It is a tiny bit springier and wetter than the steel. But it is scratchy and would need work. At US $50 not worth it. I might pay half of that.

pictures here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/331870-battle-of-the-wing-sung-piston-fillers/

Also note the gold nib in not swappable with the steel - it has that notch and the feed is slightly different to accomodate it.

Thanks for the reply! Scratchy?? No thanks! In China I can get it for under $30, but if the nib isn't as nice as any Japanese gold nib then I'll pass. Life is too short for inferior gold nibs.

Thanks for the reply! Scratchy?? No thanks! In China I can get it for under $30, but if the nib isn't as nice as any Japanese gold nib then I'll pass. Life is too short for inferior gold nibs.

It is nowhere near as nice as a Japanese gold nib, that I can say for certain. I've also seen others with this nib refer to it as scratchy so I don't think it's a fluke.

I would be suspicious of paying this amount for a Wing Sung or whether it is actually 14K. There are some good Chinese sellers but a lot of scammers. For just a tad more money I would point you to a Platinum Century 3776 direct from Japan (J-subculture or Ratuken). That pen is just wonderful.

Edited by matteob

I would be suspicious of paying this amount for a Wing Sung or whether it is actually 14K. There are some good Chinese sellers but a lot of scammers. For just a tad more money I would point you to a Platinum Century 3776 direct from Japan (J-subculture or Ratuken). That pen is just wonderful.

Although I don't have a 14k Wing Sung, I'm sure you are correct. Getting a 3776 directly from Japan is probably the best deal on a new 14k pen you can get. I've got 2 and might get another someday.

(If anyone's wondering, the best deal ever for a good 14k nib would be a Parker 45. Can't beat $20~25!)