• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antoniosz

• Tom Heath

• Brian Anderson

• Rach31

I picked up a 2442 at a store in Florida last year, but it's not gold plated. I just looked at it again, and the feed is different from my other 5 Esties. The grooves don't go all the way around; the bottom of the feed is a smooth cylindrical shape. What does yours look like?

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

I have a couple of gold platted nibs but they are English. Where was yours made?

post-91159-0-85489700-1493621014_thumb.jpg

Edited by bfg

The English 3*** nibs all appear to have been gold plated. I have 5 or 6 examples, 100% GP.

Not sure what you mean regarding Mickey Mouse ears, Tom. That's the standard shape of the falcon nib. Nice find in gold plated though. Several early nibs can be found this way, but not at all common.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

My "Dollar Pen" has a different clip design and no cap jewel.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

My "Dollar Pen" has a different clip design and no cap jewel.

Yes, this is technically a transitional pen, not a dollar pen.

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I have a 14 Ct relief nib. It screws in, unlike my other English Esterbrook relief pen. (This one came in a red pen - about the size of an LJ with jewels on both ends.)

post-123202-0-87073700-1493683405_thumb.png

I wasn't aware that some Esterbrook nibs were gold plated. Thanks for posting these photos Tom, rach31 and bfg. You learn something new everyday.

I have a couple #2442 Falcon Stubs, but silver colored.

Rach31, I've never seen an Estie like the solid red one in your photo. Does it have a name? When does it date from?

Mary

Hi Mary,

The Estie that Rach31 is talking about is called Relief/35 and it is a post war UK product.

It is not a very common product. Our esteemed moderator Bryan Anderson does not even have it in his esterbrook.net ;)
AWESOME nibs...

AntoniosZ

Edited by antoniosz

AZ-

Welcome back.

TE

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the info Antoniosz - I looked on Brian's site and did not see anything to help me identify it.

I like the smaller size of the pen (it's like an LJ) and it's an Esterbrook with a removable gold nib. I've read about people trying to put gold nibs into esterbrook nib units, it sounds like a lot of work with the possibility of ruining a nib. It was neat to find this pen.

I have a 14 Ct relief nib. It screws in, unlike my other English Esterbrook relief pen. (This one came in a red pen - about the size of an LJ with jewels on both ends.)

I have one just like that, and mine came in a UK-made M2. Fun pen.

fpn_1501695595__esterbrook_m2_red_uk_rel

Thanks for the info Antoniosz - I looked on Brian's site and did not see anything to help me identify it.

I like the smaller size of the pen (it's like an LJ) and it's an Esterbrook with a removable gold nib. I've read about people trying to put gold nibs into esterbrook nib units, it sounds like a lot of work with the possibility of ruining a nib. It was neat to find this pen.

A while back I bought an Estie off eBay and when it arrived I found that it had an Eversharp 14K nib instead of the usual Estie steel nib.  I was intrigued and had another Estie nib assembly with a ruined nib, so I applied gentle heat and carefully drove the nib/feed out of the collar, then fitted a no-name 14K nib that seemed to me to be about the same size and curvature as the Estie nib and (with gentle heat again) pushed it and the Estie feed back into the collar.  Now I have a screw-in 14K nib that I can use in any of my Esties.

I have heard that the collars are sometimes rather brittle, so this transplant should be done very carefully.

Posted Image

Posted Image

esterbrook-old-and-new-nibs-top-view-2

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

Hi Mary,

The Estie that Rach31 is talking about is called Relief/35 and it is a post war UK product.

It is not a very common product. Our esteemed moderator Bryan Anderson does not even have it in his esterbrook.net ;)

AWESOME nibs...

AntoniosZ

This is an old scan (and not a cool red pen like Rach31 has) but shows the Relief/35.

http://www.gergyor.com/images/relief_m_35.jpg

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Nice find! One of those English relief pens in red ripple is on my bucket list. There was one for sale about a year or more ago and I lusted over that something awful. But they are not cheap.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Nice find! One of those English relief pens in red ripple is on my bucket list. There was one for sale about a year or more ago and I lusted over that something awful. But they are not cheap.

Red Ripple is a whole different period (30-40 year before) than these ones