• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• sansenri

• JohnEbach

• ink-syringe

:) the reason I was interested in the old cartridges is because I have a vintage Duo cart!

The old cartridges are very very difficult to find (and in case, expensive, even empty...), and using the pen with a converter is not a nice solution as it changes the "nature" of the pen, it was not born to use with a converter, although I read that a Pilot converter may fit.

They are totally different from other cartridges, and I just would have liked the idea of re-establishing the pen as it was intended to be...

As regards the new Duo Cart, the Aurora cartridges are different from Parker, and others, that is not a problem as the new aurora cartridges are marketed and found easily. I was initially hoping some of the converters I already have might fit (parker, pelikan, etc.) but no way, the parker looks similar but will not fit in the section, too wide externally.

So in the end I had to buy an Aurora converter. I am happy I did as the pen is nice to use.

:) the reason I was interested in the old cartridges is because I have a vintage Duo cart!

The old cartridges are very very difficult to find (and in case, expensive, even empty...), and using the pen with a converter is not a nice solution as it changes the "nature" of the pen, it was not born to use with a converter, although I read that a Pilot converter may fit.

They are totally different from other cartridges, and I just would have liked the idea of re-establishing the pen as it was intended to be...

As regards the new Duo Cart, the Aurora cartridges are different from Parker, and others, that is not a problem as the new aurora cartridges are marketed and found easily. I was initially hoping some of the converters I already have might fit (parker, pelikan, etc.) but no way, the parker looks similar but will not fit in the section, too wide externally.

So in the end I had to buy an Aurora converter. I am happy I did as the pen is nice to use.

It is the Platinum cartridges and converters that fit your old Duo-Cart. They work just fine. But Wait...there's more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Platinum also sells a small adapter that allows you to use the International Standard cartridges as well and it sells for $1.00 last time I bought some.

As regards the new Duo Cart, the Aurora cartridges are different from Parker, and others,

Nope. Modern Aurora cartridges and Parker cartridges are the exact same size and identical opening. & this isn't a case such as Lamy and Parker, where they are coincidentally very close in diameter and you can force it in there. Aurora simply decided to use the Parker system instead of making their own proprietary system (THANK YOU). Which is why I always travel with 2 Parker 45s and a box of blue and box of black Aurora carts. Full-size Parker and modern Aurora carts are 100% exactly the same and interchangeable.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

Is there anyone that has a vintage one and a new one and compare for us? Of course I'm going to end up with one, just want some insight as to which one.

does anyone know what type of plastic/resin the new model is constructed of? I enjoy the lucite used in parker 51s and I am wondering if the new duo cart is comparable.

I am not an expert in plastics, I do not know what plastic it is made of, however I do have a Parker 51 and comparing the plastic they do look rather similar and equally shiny. The plastic in the Aurora is thicker than that of the 51, the Aurora also has a brass cilinder inside which gives it some weight and balances the pen well.

The chrome cap is also quite nice, with 4 lines pattern running along it, not as nice as my 51's rolled gold, but a nice finish nonetheless.

@ink-syringe

I see from your name why such expertise in cartridges... :)

Thank you for confirming the correspondence between Aurora and Parker cartridges, very useful.

I admit I may have come to wrong conclusions, as my knowledge on cartriges is extremely limited,

I think the only cartridges I use are for a Waterman CF, a Pelikan M30, and a Kaweco sport... I always switch to converter when I can (in fact I did order a NOS Waterman converter also for the CF).

In reality I did not try a Parker cartridge, I tried a Parker converter, and since it does not fit, I wrongly concluded that Parker cartriges would not fit.

But I can assure you, if useful, that a Parker converter will not fit in this Aurora. I did notice the opening looks the same but it's the outer side of the coverter that will not fit inside the section. So I ended up buying the Aurora converter, which does fit.

The phrase "Parker converter" describes several different objects. Of different diameters. If one Parker converter is too thick for a particular pen, another may not be.

I used to own an Aurora 88 small fountain pen, the Piccola in Italian. One of my older Parker twist-piston converters was too thick to fit the barrel of the 1980s 88. But I read online that the Parker slide converter would fit. And I found that the current twist-piston converter, called in English the Deluxe model, was narrower than its predecessor and would fit the 88 Piccola.

Not quite narrow enough to fit the Hastil, IIRC; for the Hastil I needed to buy Aurora's trik-trak converter. Or use cartridges.

As for the Deluxe Parker converter, I advise against the very latest model, which has a black plastic collar at the end. If possible, one should buy, as I have done on eBay, the model with the steel collar.

@ink-syringe

I see from your name why such expertise in cartridges... :)

B/c of my hot burning love for the Parker 45 *and* Aurora inks so for me this is the perfect travel kit (the only time I use factory filled cartridges). My travel rig is usually at least 1 P45, usually 2 and a box of Aurora writing juice. I usually add to that a Japanese pen, and a Sheaffer cartridge pen or two (I don't mind Skrip Blue).

In reality I did not try a Parker cartridge, I tried a Parker converter, and since it does not fit, I wrongly concluded that Parker cartriges would not fit.

But I can assure you, if useful, that a Parker converter will not fit in this Aurora. I did notice the opening looks the same but it's the outer side of the coverter that will not fit inside the section. So I ended up buying the Aurora converter, which does fit.

That's, of course, entirely reasonable but beware:

http://dirck.delint.ca/beta/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/parkvert.jpg

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

ok :) my Aurora converter looks like #6 on the right

The Parker converter looks very similar, it has Parker embossed in the metal part while the Aurora has no marks, but for some reason would no fit, the Aurora does.

Perhaps it's just a fraction of mm difference in the metal ring width.

btw, glad you like the Aurora inks, among my favourites too.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently ordered a the black and chrome version because it was on sale, it is a nice pen in the hand but for me not as good the vintage which are slightly larger in diameter and thus suit my grip better.

I went to Dromgooles in Houston yesterday and bought my burgundy and gold Duo Cart. It really does write nice. I am glad that I finally broke down and got it. Larry, the owner, had several of the black ones left. His shop is so stupendous, I love just going there and looking at all the pens. I look forward to using the Duo Cart as a daily writer at home and at work.

I know I wrote in the other thread about the new Duo Cart that I thought it was probably overpriced and bemoaned that it only came in Medium, but I bought one too, and I'm glad I did. It is a wonderful writer. The nib is perfection. Bravo, Aurora. The nibs on these things are stupendous. I've used a gazillion Bocks and Jowos and this beats them all. When people say steel can be as good as gold, this is what they mean. You literally can't improve on this nib.

Form factor is good. Fits well in the hand. It's fatter than my 88P but not as fat as the original 88. The cap has no issues with posting, like some have reported. I was a bit concerned that ink was ending up on the section, but that only happens when I use Aurora Black. I've tried the Aurora Blue cartridge that came with the pen (which I hated), Pilot Blue, and Diamine Red Dragon and there hasn't been ink on the section with anything but Aurora Black. I adore Aurora Black, but it's odd that it would happen with just that ink.

Mine didn't come with the vintage case...I wish it had, but oh well. Not a big deal. I guess they ran out of them. If you didn't get one in the first batch, you're out of luck.

Edited by Kevan

Thanks, Kevan, for your contribution to this discussion! I also bought a Duo Cart after trying one at Fahrney's pens in Washington, DC. It was their yearly sale, so I got it at a special price.

The reason why I bought it was because I tried one and immediately fell in love with the nib. Yes, I agree, a perfect nib!

The only problem is that they did any in stock and so I am still waiting for my pen in the mail - apparently there is a limited supply and they needed to wait for their next shipment.

I look forward to getting that pen!!!!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

• 3 months later...

An update - what I found when I put a wet ink in my Duo-Cart (Noodler's Legal Lapis), it leaked at the nib. I took it back to Fahrney's and they could not find anything wrong with the pen. They suggested I try a dryer ink. I did, putting in Pelikan Koenigsblau. My pen did not leak after that.

This is really weird! I later heard from somebody else who had the Duo-Cart that theirs leaked as well with a wet ink.

Anybody else have this issue?

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen