The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Announcement: New Privacy Policy
Please note that as of today, May 25, 2018, a new Privacy & Cookie Policy is in force, compliant with the GDPR. By continuing to use FPN, you accept this new policy.
You may find the new policy by clicking the button or link at the bottom of each page called "Privacy Policy", or alternatively by clicking below:

New Privacy Policy
***** The FPN Admin Team *****

Photo

The Kinds Of Pens They Used In Meteora

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Leonil

Leonil

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 19:48

I recently visited Meteora in Greece, where there are three monasteries built ontop of some mountains.

In one of the museums, there sits a collection of nibs, pens, pencils and basically the items used by a guy called Sofianos who catalogued the place's archives. I was told that the nibs are all gold, plated in something - perhaps silver - not sure.

Thought you guys may enjoy the quick pic I snapped up of the display.

L1004987.jpg

Edited by Leonil, 29 April 2017 - 19:49.

Sponsored Content

#2 rwilsonedn

rwilsonedn

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 18:11

Fascinating! This is an interesting data point for the question of when dip pens went out of use ...

ron

#3 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 23:56

If these are dip pens that this person was using (which I dont doubt)  they dont tell us what they were using at Meteora. His work is rather recent (last 30-40 years).  In general dip pens were much more widely used in Greece in early 20th century than fountain pens.

Edited by antoniosz, 04 May 2017 - 23:57.

#4 Leonil

Leonil

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2017 - 07:20

All I know is that this is what they used to archive the documents for the last half century.

The curators there told me something along the lines that all the "monk" work was painstakingly slow leaving me to believe that all the bibles and writing was done with some kind of calligraphy pen - and considering fountain pens are relatively "new" to the monastery, I would safely assume that almost all the writing done in the 1800s and earlier was done with dip pens...

As for specifics, the photo is as specific as I can get it.

#5 FountainPenGuru

FountainPenGuru

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 January 2018 - 03:59

This thread makes me ask the question regarding what type of pens that the monks are using in Agios Oros (Holy Mountain) in northeastern Greece?

#6 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2018 - 21:24

Fascinating! This is an interesting data point for the question of when dip pens went out of use ...

ron

Wait. They've gone out of use?? And nobody bothered to tell me??  :o

What do I do with all of these dip pens? Oh, man. Next thing you know, you'll tell me my quill-cutting skills are obsolete as well. 

At least I know that buggy whip wrapping knowledge will always be needed.    :P

Seriously, though. It's hard to see, but it looks like a box of pretty standard dip pens (between the two inkwells). Most likely steel (gold pens don't come in boxes of multiples like that), maybe with a "silverine" kind of finish (a silver alloy). Writing with dip pens can be fairly meditative, especially if you're writing a decorative script. It can take a long time, but it gives you time to really think about what you're writing. (or, in my case, space out and think about what you're having for dinner tonight and then write the wrong letters, which is why I'm not a professional calligrapher)

Andrew

"King of the Steel Pens"  :lol:

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sponsored Content

|