Storing A Large Pen Collection - My Suggestion; Advice, Please

PDW

I have too many FPs (?), certainly too many for the just-leaving-them-around storage plan. I'm thinking of getting a multi-drawer metal cabinet (like the shallow-drawer version at http://www.bisley.com/en-uk/product_ranges/43 - they do a bright yellow one!)), get some archival-quality thin card and fold it into a VVV concertina shape, put a folded strip in each drawer and put my pens in the slots.

Does this make sense as a long-term storage plan to keep my pens from damage or deterioration? Are there any materials I need to keep apart from each other's drawers or completely out of the same cabinet?

Advice, please.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PaulS

• PDW

• pen2paper

• BillH

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a pretty nice solution and I've seen some great collections in drawer banks like those. One of my brothers keeps a quite large collection of folding knives in a multi-drawer metal tool cabinet and that seems to work well for him.

When my collection started to get bigger I tried to decide how I wanted to work with it. Would I want it all to stay in one place (the office) or did I want to be able to move the ones I was using/working with out to the big table in the dining room? I had gotten into the habit of bringing parts of my collection to other places in the house so that dictated a different solution than the single big cabinet.

I have my collection in either large, two tray boxes (2x28) with lids, or in nicer refinished wooden cigar boxes. The Pelikans nest in 8 or 9 all black enameled Rocky Patel boxes with burgundy pen tray material cut to fit (16 pens per box). The Pelikanos and other cart pens go in a different type cigar box, and the MB's go in another. The collection is quite portable and I don't have to move the whole thing just to work with a few in the other room. When it's time to put them away the boxes stack on the bookshelves or the back of the desk by the monitor.

I'm not aware of material issues so I'll defer to more experienced pen folk for that. But one thing about the small box solution is being able to add boxes as the collection grows. Heaven knows if I bought one big cabinet and had lots of empty tray space I would be on eBay constantly, trying to fill it up right away.

Smaller boxes work for me. Give some thought to how you work now and how you might want to work in the future. Good luck with your collection!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I don't think you can have too many pens - at least quality ones..... stop collecting and you might get withdrawal symptoms :)

I've made the concertina folded card trays and they do work - you say archival, presumably to avoid any acid content, and I'd agree with that. Don't have the card too thick - 0.4 - 0.5 mm should be adequate, but as always trial and error is the proof of the pudding - folding becomes a problem otherwise - especially as you head toward the other end of the card, so this is a good reason to keep the draws reasonable size. Assume you know how to draw the lines on each side?

Obviously it will cost a lot more, but there are the flocked storage trays that Gary Lehrer sells - various colours and you can cut to size - one down side is that U.K. Customs people will fleece you with an import/VAT charge.

Can't imagine those draws would present any problems storing pens - they look to be light proof.

I almost daren't ask the question - I know we've been down that road before - but what is "too many". :D

Edited by PaulS

You could also line the WWW paper with black velvet. Makes showing off the colors of the pens better.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I use a Bisley cabinet for storing my small collection of fountain pens and I have been very pleased by this method. The pens rest in a wood case lined with felt and was made by Schimmel Woodworks. If I had a large collection I would probably seek a less expensive case. I'm comfortable the pens are safe and easily accessible.

post-131820-0-52368800-1493500246_thumb.jpg

Retired, twice. Time to do more things, writing being one.

velvet sounds as though it will make an attractive background, and available in a variety of colours no doubt. My only thought is that it could be a tad on the thick side perhaps, but that's a guess only since I never tried sticking it to the WWW trays when I made mine. In the U.K., and probably elsewhere, there is a similar but possibly slightly thinner product I use (in bookbinding) which goes under the name of suedette - it comes in some very rich colours such as purple green, red, black etc. - it's a form of flocking with a paper backing, so could be more suitable for sticking to the card. I think if I were making these card trays again, I'd have a go at sticking some onto the card - after folding.

I think these Bisley cabinets look to offer about the best option, at their price, for those needing to store many pens - available off the shelf and very solid.

Gary Lehrer sells plastic shaped, flocked trays to separate pens. You can cut them to fit your drawer.

https://www.gopens.com/Vintage_Pen_Parts/vintage_pens_12X16Trays.php

I've used them and like them. I buy them at pen shows from Gary, instead of paying shipping.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

He had some when I met him at the London pen show last year - presumably he'll do so again this year, and agree it saves quite a substantial cost for U.K. people, but you might need to discuss with him prior to his travelling.

Gary Lehrer sells plastic shaped, flocked trays to separate pens. You can cut them to fit your drawer.

https://www.gopens.com/Vintage_Pen_Parts/vintage_pens_12X16Trays.php

I've used them and like them. I buy them at pen shows from Gary, instead of paying shipping.

They look very good.

Has anyone bought these trays from Gary and had them shipped by mail to the UK? If so, how much did the shipping cost?

yes, twice I've had Gary ship to London - about a dozen each time on two separate occasions, but I've forgotten the exact postal cost - probably about us$20 - 25 (for one dozen), I think but can't be sure - obviously shipping is going to depend on how many are ordered. Trouble was that I couldn't find the equivalent in the U.K. so really not option other than to buy from the States. They look good, although mine are grey, perhaps not everyone's choice, and if not mistreated, are going to last a long time. My opinion is that they're worth the cost, and if you're able to visit the pen show then likely Gary will be able to bring some with him - wish I'd thought of that before having them shipped!!