Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz

lgsoltek

After a very long wait I finally received this ink. I'm not a fan of brown inks, but since once this ink is gone it's gone, I got myself a bottle anyway.

As I said, I don't really love brown inks, especially the red ones. Luckily Smoky Quartz leans more to the yellow/green side, which is the kind of browns I sometimes enjoy (eg. Sailor Rikyu-cha/Cigar).

The flow is better than I expected, at least much wetter than Aquamarine. Not much lubrication. It's mostly water resistant. No sheen is observed.

I'm starting to like it.

Splash

fpn_1493407645__jpeg_image-4acdd53a0580-

Sample

fpn_1493407641__jpeg_image-4acdd53a0580-

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lgsoltek

• FPRebel

• inkstainedruth

• white_lotus

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sure it will look good in my M400 Brown Tortoise - when it's empty! I'm using 4001 Brilliant Brown in it at present.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

How wet or dry do you find this? I have a sample but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I'm always on the lookout for a good brown (especially the sepia-leaning ones) to put into my 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise -- I thought that Iroshizuku Yama-guri would be a great ink to do drawing with, but it was too wet for the juicy F nib on the pen; whereas Noodler's Walnut was dry enough to tame the wetness, and the pen was wet enough to do that very dry ink justice). But I'm still looking for a good sepia toned brown (not a green sepia) to put in that pen (I have other Edelstein inks in the modern M405s, and those have been good pen/ink combinations).

Thanks for the review. I'm also one of those people who dislikes red-leaning brown inks immensely.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Greetings Lgsoltek,

Any idea if Smoky Quartz is similar to Havana Brown made by Waterman ?

Regards...

They are very different.....

Hope it's ok to post a comparison pic here. For reference, both papers are Tomoe River white.

post-129742-0-21010500-1493481780_thumb.jpg

Lgsoltek, your reviews are amazing, and imo, spot on.

I, too, received this one yesterday and although I've only been playing around with it in one pen, a TWSBI Eco, it is delightfully wetter than some Edelsteins.

Thank you for the ink testing you do and share. Your handwriting is stunning.

How wet or dry do you find this? I have a sample but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I'm always on the lookout for a good brown (especially the sepia-leaning ones) to put into my 1990s era M400 Brown Tortoise -- I thought that Iroshizuku Yama-guri would be a great ink to do drawing with, but it was too wet for the juicy F nib on the pen; whereas Noodler's Walnut was dry enough to tame the wetness, and the pen was wet enough to do that very dry ink justice). But I'm still looking for a good sepia toned brown (not a green sepia) to put in that pen (I have other Edelstein inks in the modern M405s, and those have been good pen/ink combinations).

Thanks for the review. I'm also one of those people who dislikes red-leaning brown inks immensely.

I think this one will suit you well. It's definitely not as wet as Iroshizuku, but it's not dry either. It's wetter than Aquamarine.

Lgsoltek, your reviews are amazing, and imo, spot on.

I, too, received this one yesterday and although I've only been playing around with it in one pen, a TWSBI Eco, it is delightfully wetter than some Edelsteins.

Thank you for the ink testing you do and share. Your handwriting is stunning.

Oh thank you!

You're causing me to reconsider this ink. And I don't go for demonstrator pens, but if the M205 is a dark brown in the style of the M200 Cafe Creme, well my money may be gone sooner than I think.

Thank you - I've just ordered a bottle on the strength of your review. The Edelstein Aquamarine was just on my acceptable level of wetness but borderline, if this is wetter great.

I've been using a 15ml bottle of Iroshizuku Horsetail / Tsukushi and whilst it's not overly red, is a little too red for me, and Kaweco Caramel was just too dry and undersaturated.

I think this one will suit you well. It's definitely not as wet as Iroshizuku, but it's not dry either. It's wetter than Aquamarine.

Great! Thanks for the info.

Admittedly the only reason I have Aquamarine is because it was swag from last fall's Pelikan Hub in Pittsburgh. But since I do have it and have used it, that gives me a frame of reference.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

They are very different.....

Hope it's ok to post a comparison pic here. For reference, both papers are Tomoe River white.

I have to disagree with this. In a wet pen, Waterman Absolute Brown is just as dark as Smoky Quartz.

I have to disagree with this. In a wet pen, Waterman Absolute Brown is just as dark as Smoky Quartz.

As dark in some pens, maybe, but as I posted, the inks appear very different. That said, I realized after a second read that Mr. Rene asked about how Smoky Quartz compares to Waterman's Havana Brown. Apologies for the quick read

You're causing me to reconsider this ink. And I don't go for demonstrator pens, but if the M205 is a dark brown in the style of the M200 Cafe Creme, well my money may be gone sooner than I think.

+1 Cafe Creme is one of my favorite pens and if they released a 205 in a similarly dark brown, I'd be all in!

As dark in some pens, maybe, but as I posted, the inks appear very different. That said, I realized after a second read that Mr. Rene asked about how Smoky Quartz compares to Waterman's Havana Brown. Apologies for the quick read

I think it's the same ink, just a rename?

I think it's the same ink, just a rename?

Havana and Absolute? Ahhh, a quick google search, and there you go. Yes, indeed. Thank you for pointing that out to me!