Pens To Buy In Japan

essayfaire

Hi, I'm new to FPN and apologize it this is the wrong forum. A friend is going to Japan as part of a scheduled college trip; she will probably be at some stationery stores but not be able to plan outings to pen-specific stores. I was wondering if there are brands, models, or colors which are available in Japan but not the US or ate cconsiderably cheaper there. I find my Sailor F a bit scratchy, like my Pilot Varsity collection for what it is (I've been thinking about the Vanishing Point), and my Montblanc F and find the Xinhaos surprisingly decent for the price. My old Duofold is a pain that I don't use very often because it runs out of ink too quickly.

Either brands or colors that don't export but are common there or good deals are what I am looking for - I want to limit myself to pens that are under $200 and are easy to find but are a pleasure to write with. I feel like there's a difference between me buying another Japanese pen and having one carried over personally. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• essayfaire

• gerigo

• Algester

• Voiren

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Essayfaire

First, it's easiest for the person you plan to send to buy with a specific list of pens to get. That way, they are not trying to make a decision for you. For pen enthusiast, Tokyo is awesome because there are SO many pens to select from in a store, but that also translates to headaches and too bewildering of a selection for someone not familiar with shopping in Tokyo for pens.

So go look through the websites of all the big 3 pen makers in Japan. Search carefully to see what's available in Japan.

http://sailorshop.jp/

http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/fountain/

http://www.platinum-pen.co.jp/fountain_top.html

Find the right links and inventory numbers of the pen you like and give this to your friend. It will make their jobs much easier.

Remember there are certain nibs and pens that are unique to the US market that's not available in Japan. Eg, Sailor does not sell their large 21K music nib in Tokyo. The only music nib available is the smaller 14k version.

You can also check out Itoya's website as it's chock full of great information of what they sell.

http://store.ito-ya.co.jp/category/1000/

http://store.ito-ya.co.jp/category/E1/49963856542101.html This is the Itoya 110 which I think is unique to the Japanese market.

Second, send her to places such as Itoya and Maruzen where their selection is amazing. Chances of you getting your Japanese pen you want high. But if she does not even have time to visit these places, any department store in Japan has a decent but small pen selection.

Hope this is helpful.

Essayfaire

First, it's easiest for the person you plan to send to buy with a specific list of pens to get. That way, they are not trying to make a decision for you. For pen enthusiast, Tokyo is awesome because there are SO many pens to select from in a store, but that also translates to headaches and too bewildering of a selection for someone not familiar with shopping in Tokyo for pens.

This is quite helpful, thank you! It's hard to compare pens without trying them, and some of the sites don't want to translate (she speaks some Japanese, I do not) but I can compare prices and available colors on some of the models. I was wondering if there are other smaller manufacturers who do not export at all.

Thanks for the links and the advice. It seems as if there is an entry level Maki E pen but I can't find a price on it and the ones available in the states are not fountain pens. Arigato!

Festina lente

This is quite helpful, thank you! It's hard to compare pens without trying them, and some of the sites don't want to translate (she speaks some Japanese, I do not) but I can compare prices and available colors on some of the models. I was wondering if there are other smaller manufacturers who do not export at all.

Thanks for the links and the advice. It seems as if there is an entry level Maki E pen but I can't find a price on it and the ones available in the states are not fountain pens. Arigato!

I find the best way to navigate these Japanese website is to use google translate. It's fairly easy to navigate once they are translated in English. The key words you want to click on is 万年笔, or manen hitsu as translated in English. I myself will pour through these websites in detail to see what's for sale in Japan a month or so before I leave for the trip so that I am not hemming and hawing when I get to the shop. The primary problem being that there is just too much to select from and it is easy for a pen fanatic to spend an entire day at just one of those legendary stores like Itoya. Most non pen collectors simply don't have the patience.

Itoya and Maruzen has a fairly small group of special color Sailors and Pilots in the price range you're looking for, but I find them lack luster. Bungbox, Nagasawa and even Tokyo Quill pen shop all have much more interesting pens unique to them but they are all not in Tokyo. Itoya has their Romeo pens made for them by Platinum that is not seen outside of Tokyo but their fountain pens are close to USD 260. Maruzen just had their pen show in March so what did not sell at the show will still be available at their stores. Their Sailor KOP with a metal body is the most intriguing pen but that goes for close to USD 900.

The only other thing available that's cool to get are inks. Maruzen has their Athena inks that are cool.

Edited by gerigo

Actually, Tokyo Quill IS in Tokyo, BUT is a bit out of the way. Well, way out of the way.

Bungbox now has a store in Omotesando but not so easy to find (I live here and am very familiar with the area it is in, so not so difficult to find but I wonder if one who is does not know the area can find it easily) and has a very irregular schedule. But I think most of their shop exclusive pens are limited edition and go for more than your stated budget.

well if you somehow get disappointed when you visit Bungbox's Omotesando branch is close when you pay a visit, there's a stationery cafe near by... sadly I did visit Bungbox but it was closed... I can't even go to the stationery cafe :<

http://i.imgur.com/leWCcLS.jpg

... this was the april sched though... it's already May so I don't know

Edited by Algester

Don't know if she'll get to Bungbox or not... she will be spending a lot of time outside of Tokyo close to smaller historic sites (and maybe small pen-makers, if I'm lucky). She'll be with a group so I don't know if they will stop at any of the big stores or not, but they certainly will be at some stationery stores or a department store before they leave.

The list I've come up with so far, some of these I have questions about:

Pens that only seem available in Japan:

Itoya 110 (but this seems like it is a sleeve and not an actual pen)

Itoya Netsuke olive

Pilot Cocoon in a color other than silver

Platinum Maki E Kanazawa (maybe in M instead of my usual F)

It looked as if there were a Pilot MakieRyu but now I can't find it

Pilot Custom Kaede in Maple - hard to get in US through official channels

Pens that seem like good deals relative to buying them here:

Pilot Custom 74 (soft nib, thanks max dog!)

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 screw (but this won't take a cartridge from what I can gather)

Pilot Capless Decimo

Some Sailors were good deals but about $150 out of my price range ( as gerigo noted)

What does everyone think of this list? I figure I'll tell her to try to get one better pen and a few of the cheap ones and give her discretion to grab anything that writes smoothly - she's a lefty so if she doesn't find it scratchy neither will I! Anything you would drop or add?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Festina lente

then I would suggest take the chances if it's a tour REALLY REALLY take the chances... its easier if you are traveling at your own pace but that can't be done with a tour, if the tour goes through the department stores then just grab whats enticing and go

Yes, I agree. The tour will mostly be in historical areas - I'm crossing my fingers for something off the beaten path. I'm sure they'll be in a department store at some point.

Festina lente

I was in Tokyo in mid-March - went to Maruzen and got a Pilot Cocoon in burgundy and a pair of clear Pilot Preras in fine and CM nibs. Tried the demo pens for all three and really liked them. (Plus a trio of large Iroshizuku bottles and the little gift set of three 15ml bottles of your choice, and three Sailor Jentle Four Seasons).

I didn't get a chance to go to Itoya, but did pass through Ameyoko Market and manage to get a discounted Pelikan M200 just before the stall closed for the night (but finding specific stalls in there is a little tricky!)

I was in Tokyo in mid-March - went to Maruzen and got a Pilot Cocoon in burgundy and a pair of clear Pilot Preras in fine and CM nibs. Tried the demo pens for all three and really liked them.

I'm sorry, is the CM a music nib? I don't think I write nicely enough for one of those! How do the Pilot Preras write when compared to the Cocoon? I was eyeing the Cocoon as a good one to try to nab.

Festina lente

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I agree. The tour will mostly be in historical areas - I'm crossing my fingers for something off the beaten path. I'm sure they'll be in a department store at some point.

So I've heard that a pen has been purchased but I don't know what kind. She didn't get to try writing with it but said that it was really nicely weighted. I told her to feel free to buy more pens as well. I'll let y'all know when I find out what I got - I know she bought one for herself as well. Fingers crossed that it isn't something easy to get and/or cheaper here. Thanks everyone.

Festina lente

• 4 weeks later...

So my pens got here...

I need to give her more instruction before her next trip.

I got a Platinum Preppy

a Pilot Petit (which is really neat!)

a Pilot Kakuno

and a .... wait for it... Parker IM that cost more than buying one here (unless I'm wrong and it's a special only available in Japan model- see attached picture.

My son got a set of nine colored Lego gel pens that are the coolest thing, up there with his invisible Noodler's ink.

Perhaps next time I get my Decimo in a new color. Thanks everyone for your help.

post-136377-0-96394000-1497139457_thumb.jpg

Festina lente