The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor's Original Colours Are Back

sailor jentle sailor jentle grenade ultramarine apricot epinard sky high

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 13:48

sailor-original-jentle-inks-are-back_102

Of course, there is the question of whether they were ever gone.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

Sponsored Content

#2 T4TEXAS

T4TEXAS

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 14:03

Who is carrying them?

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

SnailBadge.png

#3 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 14:10

Nibs.com has them.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#4 antichresis

antichresis

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 14:13

The Goldspot post shared that the official US distributor of Sailor ("Itoya") sent them the e-mail so I would think that all US retail outlets that stock the brand will soon get them.

Hero #232 Blue-Black is my Waterman Florida Blue.

Your Kilometrage May Vary (#ykmv), a Philippine blawg about ink and fountain pens.

#5 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 14:43

Total bummer... we already have equivalent colours (identical to a chromatography level) of most of those.    I rather Sailor come up with new colours.

C. 

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#6 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 15:08

Bummer for me too because I literally stocked up on sky high and Epinard (several lifetime's worth of supply) when they were discontinued last.

I'd like them to bring back Sailor Red-Brown

#7 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 15:24

I'd like them to bring back Sailor Red-Brown

OH YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :wub:  :wub:

And is not about stocking up... most of these colours have their identical twin already in stores.. 

Apricot = Kin-mokusei  (same chromatography)
Grenade = Oku-yama  (same chromatography)
Sky High = Souten     (same chromatography)
Epinard = Tokiwa-matsu  (this one I never did the chromatography test.. but to my eyes they look like twins too)

This is not like bringing back Irori and Rikyu-Cha, those two are unique colours and there was nothing out there that was similar and easy accessible.  

C. 

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#8 pepsiplease69

pepsiplease69

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 15:43

@Cyber6 totally agree on all counts.

I'd say tokiwa matsu is pretty darn identical from where I look at it.

But I went out on a buying spree during the short sliver of time when the news was out about them going away and the replacement colors weren't quite out/proven yet.

I did the same with the Caran d'Ache only to regret later.

Now I'm a bit cautious about buying more ink, or acting irrationally on new intelligence about inks getting dropped.

#9 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 16:05

Now I'm a bit cautious about buying more ink, or acting irrationally on new intelligence about inks getting dropped.

LOL... I have one rule, if I really... REALLY like the ink... I get one back up bottle.  There is NOTHING out there that cannot be replace by a very similar colour.   

Life is too short for hording ink..  enjoy what you have, when you have it... get a backup if you really like it and use it often, once is gone another one will take its place. 

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#10 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 16:19

+1

Life is too short for hording ink

So so true.

#11 EclecticCollector

EclecticCollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 16:58

And is not about stocking up... most of these colours have their identical twin already in stores.. 

Apricot = Kin-mokusei  (same chromatography)
Grenade = Oku-yama  (same chromatography)
Sky High = Souten     (same chromatography)
Epinard = Tokiwa-matsu  (this one I never did the chromatography test.. but to my eyes they look like twins too)

C. 

Chromatography notwithstanding, Souten and Sky High are subtly but consistently different for me, particularly with how easily they sheen. Possibly psychological, but I can reliably identify them in my older writings.

#12 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 17:15

Chromatography notwithstanding, Souten and Sky High are subtly but consistently different for me, particularly with how easily they sheen. Possibly psychological, but I can reliably identify them in my older writings.

I totally believe you.  I will say is mostly due to differences in lubrication (if you take out pen and paper differences).  The one that is a bit wetter will show more sheen.  In any case, the same differences you can see from the same ink on different batches.  I am still not convinced the new Irori is the same formulation as the old Irori (I can't compare them since I don't have the old Irori).. I find the new one with a slight orangy tone.   

In any case,  regardless of the "slight" differences, my point is that it still does not justify buying both bottles.     I wanted some new colours...  or at least, if they are going to release "similar" colours, then do the ones from hard to find exclusive lines.    :P  :P

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#13 Pensei

Pensei

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 19:06

Sky High seems to be the one that gets the most frequent, "Yeah, it might be a little different" comments. I'm a little tempted on that. And I never got Kin-mokusei, so that opens up Apricot, which people seem to like. The price increase is a bit unfortunate. 

#14 EclecticCollector

EclecticCollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 19:18

In any case,  regardless of the "slight" differences, my point is that it still does not justify buying both bottles.     I wanted some new colours...  or at least, if they are going to release "similar" colours, then do the ones from hard to find exclusive lines.    :P  :P

C.

Completely agree - that's why I never got Souten. ;)

#15 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,109 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 19:44

This is good news, since this will mean that those who did not purchase extra bottles before will be able to enjoy them again.

#16 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2017 - 21:45

I think it is always good news when old favorite inks are made available again; I caught my choices when they were last available & then their "replacements," so I don't have to worry about this new launch.  But I am happy for the users who loved these colors & want them, or for new users, who have not had a chance to try them.

I was surely happy to have the chance to purchase Rikyu-Cha, after reading about it's disappearance & hence mythical reputation; someone out there will be happy to try Sky High for the first time, I imagine.  I never tried any of the Storia inks & I see this as an improvement on their introduction.

#17 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 13:49

What I want them to bring back but they won't:

Brown, and the 10 Onago-iros Days (minus the three they've chosen to bring back - which are pretty boring or expletive (Honey = Kin-mokusei, and now = Apricot).

Edited by Lgsoltek, 29 April 2017 - 13:49.

#18 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,417 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2017 - 14:03

I had the same experience.  I LOVE Sky High, but I tried a sample of Souten and it was not the same.  I don't care what the chromatography results are.  

I had actually wanted to try Epinard before it went away.  I tried Tokiwa-Matsu, and it was okay, but I actually liked Anderson Pens Green Bay (which, IIRC, was made by Scribal Shops for them) a little better.  So, if someone that does samples gets Epinard in, I'm likely to try it, but I may or may not want a full bottle at this point.  

Getting a backup bottle of Sky High might be in the cards, if it really is the same formulation.  But I have other inks now that are that same sort of bright blue (at the moment I have De Atramentis Sky Blue in a pen, and I still have to try my sample of Iroshihzuku Kon-peki).  So whether I actually DO get a backup of Sky High remains to be seen....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#19 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• 2,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:46

I know there has been much discussion about the similarity of these original colors to ones in the Four Seasons line. I never had any of the originals as that was before my FP-time. Anyway I used the Anderson Pens "Ink Tool" to compare the old and the new and took screenshots to post here.

Now I don't know how these swatches and squiggle samples are lighted, whether it's consistent, but I'd imagine they are meant to be comparable. Sometimes when I compare swatches from different vendors I wonder if they have the same ink, but I think within one shop they should be comparable.

fpn_1494589192__screen_shot_2017-05-11_a

fpn_1494589348__screen_shot_2017-05-11_a

fpn_1494589460__screen_shot_2017-05-11_a

#20 InkJotter

InkJotter

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2017 - 19:46

From my ink stable and online color rendering, I'd say the Anderson swatches are fairly representative of each ink.  Fascinating chromatography results at FPN,  but I suspect a simple H2O test is incomplete in separating out all chemical components which may affect the visual senses.  Souten doesn't have the sheen that Sky High had (has?), ditto for grenade and oku-yama, and grenade epinard had a nuanced darker side (black, brown, grey?) that tokiwa-matsu doesn't express.  Wouldn't mind seeing someone do some gas-liquid chromatography or HPLC work to see all the chemical constituents in each ink.  Frankly, though, why bother?  You know what you like when you see it--I'd say that should end the debate from within the inner being.  When sky high vanished, I grieved terribly but tried to recover with Kon-Peki or Souten telling myself that the experts had demonstrated sufficiently that all were comparably similar if not the same; but it was of no use.  My pens knew, my hand knew, the paper knew, my eyes knew, and my heart was not fooled.  There was no way the brain could logically provide convincing arguments and win; intangibles matter.

Yep can live with one or the other for sure, but given a chance to choose, which this is the second go-round for chances, I'd aim for that personal pleasure spot that only certain inks can provide.  For me it's sky high, grenade, epinard, apricot, sakura-mori, and ultra-marine.  And out of the entire bunch, so far, only Peche disappointed me.  I have such high expectations and so many great writing results from Sailor brand(s) that I was utterly shocked that I dry heaved every time I attempted to use Peche.  It's only redemption was a posted mix with other inks to simulate another fabulous color by J. Herbin, Rouille d' Ancre.

Edited by InkJotter, 28 June 2017 - 01:29.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor, jentle, sailor jentle, grenade, ultramarine, apricot, epinard, sky high

Sponsored Content

|