Toll Roads In Chicago

markh

OK - this is sort of pen related.

I will be in Chicago the same time as the pen show, and hope to make it there for at least half a day.

I'm renting a car. I can rent a gadget to pay tolls which is quite expensive. Or use real money - at least I could in the past.

So what should I bring, money wise. I seem to remember in the past (a few years ago) a supply of quarters would work, but times have passed and prices go up.

Suggestions from knowledgeable Chicago area drivers would be appreciated.

Thanks....

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• markh

• domzals1

• gweimer1

• AL01

Top Posters In This Topic

The I-Pass device is $10, and will pay for itself in one trip. The cash tolls are at least double the price of the I-Pass. If you plan to come to Chicago even twice, I would advise buying one at a local Jewel grocery store after you get here. Then, you can use it for whenever you travel. They like you to register it to a vehicle, but you should be able to use it in a rental.

If you're taking the Kennedy/Jane Addams (I-90) in/out of downtown to the show, you'll encounter 2 booths that I can think of; one at River Road near O'Hare, and one as you get off in Hoffman Estates. Cash tolls are 2x that of the electronic toll collection, and variable based on interchange. I believe both should be around $2 each booth.

Edited by domzals1

OK - this is sort of pen related.

I will be in Chicago the same time as the pen show, and hope to make it there for at least half a day.

I'm renting a car. I can rent a gadget to pay tolls which is quite expensive. Or use real money - at least I could in the past.

So what should I bring, money wise. I seem to remember in the past (a few years ago) a supply of quarters would work, but times have passed and prices go up.

Suggestions from knowledgeable Chicago area drivers would be appreciated.

Thanks....

No suggestions.... But in my stay in Milwaukee, I remember I - Pass being $1.50 per pass. So bring a few million and you should be fine. :lol: (I'd say 35$ to be safe... Could be $1.85 now.)

It depends a lot on where you are going to be coming from. I think either IDOT or the toll highway authority has an online map that shows all of the routes and where the toll plazas are, and what their charges may be.

Generally it is expensive, but not crazy. As domzals1 said, there are only 2 toll plaza's between downtown and the Hoffman Estates exit. That would probably be $5 or less, each way (if you use cash, less if you use a transponder). If you are coming from other areas, there may be more tolls. Most, but not all, of the toll plazas have both automatic and attended cash lanes, so exact change my not be critical.

If you are living in an area that has an electronic toll collection system, your home transponder may work. We have taken our Illinois I-Pass to many other areas and used it in rental cars with no problems, so I imagine that an out-of-state transponder would work here.

Edited by SteveE

Thanks to all who replied. A few things that I probably should have mentioned earlier:

- In recent history, I've been in the Chicago area once a year, or once every other year. I have limited familiarity with the area. So I don't think buying a local transponder makes sense, not to mention that I have no idea where to go to get one - I just get into my car at the airport and follow directions to my destination on the phone. I don't do much driving when I arrive.

The starting charge for an I-Pass is $30., according the the state web site.

- I'm not going for the pen show (hard as that is to believe :) ) But hope to get a half day to go. I will be in St. Charles, about 30 minutes away.

SO - what cash money should I bring?? Dollar bills? Quarters? both??

I do have a California Fastrack transponder - I wonder if that would work??? and how would I find out??

[edit - Wikipedia says California's Fastrack system doesn't work in any other state.]

thnx,

Edited by markh

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

It's really not a big deal, for the most part. Do bring some change, as there are some off-ramps that are unattended and require coins (I don't remember if you have one of these on the way to the pen show -- I don't think so). On the tollways, there are booths where you can pay somebody and get change.

River Road has cash lanes. The exit you get off for the pen show is probably exact change. One roll of quarters should be more than enough.

Most rental cars out of ORD come equipped with a transponder. That's, of course, the easiest option. I believe the Illinois tollway system nowadays allows you to pay your toll online afterward if you missed the toll booth or used an iPass lane.

You just need to make sure the rental car companies at ORD iallow you to do this. The reason I mention this is because, in southern California, I know quite a few rental car companies disable this feature and charge you regardless.

Edited by luckduck369

Most rental cars out of ORD come equipped with a transponder. That's, of course, the easiest option.

Yes, I can rent one of these at $10/day. Quite a bit more expensive than the few tolls i would pay, since I'm there 6 days and won't be driving very much).

I've done that in the past - thought this time I would try just paying the tolls.