Toothy Journal Without Bleedthrough

PAMDiracAF

Hello,

I've been using an Eccolo World Traverler 8x10 journal as my day to day writing notebook. I'm left handed and have really enjoyed using this as I never smear it with my hand. I have a Clairefontaine notebook that doesn't have this property, and it's bothersome.My journal is almost out and I'm looking for a replacement, and wanted to see if anyone could recommend a journal that satisfies these criterion.

1. I was told the reason it didn't smear was that the paper was toothy? Comparing to the Clairefontaine I can understand what was ment as it's much less smooth.

2. The only problem I have with the Eccolo note book is that the bleed through is pretty bad. So much so that I have to skip a page or place something underneath and would like to find something that doesn't require this.

3. I enjoy full size notebooks, so I'm looking for something that comes in 8x10 or something similar.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations,

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pepsiplease69

• PAMDiracAF

• mwpannell

• Runnin_Ute

Top Posters In This Topic

Red N Black note books come in both A4 and A5 sizes. They are slick enough but much more "toothy" than Clarefontaine or Rhodia. The paper is 90 gsm (24 lb). I have never had bleed through issues.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

If you're looking for more toothy paper for the feel of it, I would recommend Banditapple Carnet.

If you want to address the smudging, maybe you want to try a different ink or dilute your ink.

Can you explain more about the smudge? Is the ink still wet while your hand is touching it? Or does the ink make a mess even after it dries?

If it's the former, then you might want to try an ink that dries quickly.

If it's the latter, then a little bit of adding water to your ink might help.

Thanks for the recommendations. As far as the smudging goes I'm not totally sure, as I infrequently use paper that smudges haha! It's more likely that it hasn't dried yet though. It's doesn't happen super often but if I'm writing rapidly it's easy enough to do. I've actually been doing some calligraphy which is relativity difficult to accomplish left-handed, and so I decided to learn to do it right-handed. This has been pretty successful and so from it I'm envious of the righties, with their being able to see what they are writing as they write it. I've started just doing my normal writing right-handed, but my hand is still building the dexterity it needs.

Why did I tell you all of this? I love my inks and wanted to explain that I'm willing to go to extreme measures not to be limited to fast-drying inks and the like haha. I'll take a look at the Banditapple brand i've never herd of it.

I think I have a red and black branded notebook laying around somewhere so I'll also give that a try.

Thanks again.

You might try Midori MD A4/8.25x10.75 notebooks. Bleedthrough not a problem. Way more toothy than Clairefontaine. Good paper in a variety of line/grid/blank styles. Not crazy expensive.

Edited by mwpannell

Can you get Banditapple Carnet notebooks somewhere now? I haven't seen them for a while and really miss them since Goulet stopped carrying them. Or did the company fold?

Can you get Banditapple Carnet notebooks somewhere now? I haven't seen them for a while and really miss them since Goulet stopped carrying them. Or did the company fold?

You're right. I can't seem to find them now.

Huge bummer. :(

I've not Emailed with Young Jo Kim in several years...but here is Email I have on file. He was always personable and very consumer service focused. I too miss his product and my stash has just about been devoured. Please post any info you get. Arnie Kim is the name , IIRC, that I used last discussion. Have a blessed weekend, Jim