Swan Pen Pocket Clip Thingy

MercianScribe

This delightful whojamaflimminny came down to me recently, and of course, it's for putting your clipless eyedroppers and whatnot in. One question: I am too chicken to try it out, but it seems like it has far too strong an action to safely put a hundred year old pen in! I don't really want to put either of my clipless pens in it! I'm sure the Waterman 12 has seen more action but that seems more fragile than the Cameron and I don't want to try that in it either! And if it's OK to put something in, I feel it would need to be pretty robust to be for everyday use... i.e. taking them out again, and putting them in again, and... you get the idea!

post-132145-0-79418400-1493316998_thumb.jpg

Oh, and does anyone know when this clip is from? Or anything else about it for that matter?!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wardok

• CS388

• Cob

• MercianScribe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a "Swan" metal pocket. It was also available as a two pen model and you can also get Conway Stewart and (very rare) Wyvern versions. I have an advertisement showing a Blackbird Service writing kit consisting of a Blackbird Fountpen (6s 0d), a tube of Swan ink tablets (one to a penful of water, no filler needed 0s 6d) and a "Swan" Metal Pocket Holder (to prevent loss or accidental breakage 1s 3d) to be sent to your soldier in the trenches so they were around in the 14-18 war but I wouldn't be surprised if they were available for a long period - say 1910 to 1930s. I have 5 different versions of the swan trademark on various metal pockets. i have tried to date them by matching them to the various depictions in FPOTW page 175 but they don't really tie up. I would guess that yours is the earliest version as it is most similar to the Swan shown on the 1911 pen.

I have used one and it works well. I tend to open it before putting the pen in, but just pull it out. It must increase surface wear but I have never come across a clip less eyedropper with noticeable longitudinal wear from using one of these. They are quite common, or at least very durable so there are lots that have survived.

Edited by Wardok

The main problem I have found with these is internal corrosion which can sctrach the pen. It is wise to check carefully - although cleaning and smoothing the interior is not a trivial task!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

I cut the longest finger from an old pair of gloves and 'botched' it into position, in the holder.

It seemed to do the trick - none of my pens were injured, yet were held firmly in place.

In the end, though, I opted for one of the old after-market clips (eg Clipper etc) for my clipless pens, so now I put them straight into my pocket. Re damage to the pen finish, these clips are probably worse, but it's very localised. Fortunately, all my old pens are users and the cosmetic condition is secondary. As long as they are working correctly, they can make it into the rotation.

I do like the old pen holders, but in my current life, they are an unecessary extra.

Thanks.

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af351/shoulderhead/clips%20-%201_zpsutrufxzy.jpg