Have You Ever Been Gifted A Montblanc?

Wolverine

It will be a magnificent pen, and I know that you will treasure it!

~ jmccarty3:

I'm looking forward to presenting it in the Montblanc Forum.

It'll be the first Montblanc Fountain pen I'll ever have written with that's not black.

My good friend had a first class experience acquiring it through the FPN Classifieds after I connected him with the seller.

Thank you for your encouraging comment. You're so right. Such a gift adds intangible value to this pen.

Tom K.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmccarty3

• dubhe

• Tom Kellie

• omarcenaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom,

The first pen you got as gift was the one by your father, correct? Either way, the pen will be treasured and loved with you.

He chose a great person to pass on the caring of the pen.

~ Reed_thoughts:

Thank you. I hope to both use and preserve what's given to me.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312503-my-original-montblanc-149-background-and-age-estimation/page-1

Tom K.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes! For my big 4-0 my siblings got together and gave me the GC Andy Warhol LE 1928 FP. They sure know me well! Best gift ever.

I’ve received a few here and there by friends and the wifey. But never a FP MB.

I used to have a client from Germany who would fly to NYC once a year (early 90s) he gave away BP MBs away like they were lollipops. He had dozens rolling around in his briefcase all the time... so you never got a new one, but, free. I still have the four he gave me.

• 2 weeks later...

Gifted an MB 144 Pix fountain pen by a relative. The use of Pix for a fountain pen by MB's advertising team was odd, to say the least.Pix was the brand name for MB mechanical pencils with the push mechanism.

Anyway, it was not finding much use so I gave it to another relative. He is brand-conscious and claims it has improved his image in his profession. He might well be right. My own MBs are all from the 1950s and 1960s.

Nice topic :-)

I was lucky enough to receive a few Montblancs as gifts:

• my first Montblanc (cartridge filled Classic with gold plated nib) from my parents when I started High School in Germany
  • my Dad's Montblanc 32 with a wonderful crisp OB nib he bought new in the 1960's and used since then when my interest in Montblanc pens "increased" in the 1996. He thought giving it to me would safe me from spending my money on my own pen. What a "mistake" ;-)
  • an early version Meisterstück LeGrand Solitaire barleycorn in Sterling Silver with a finde nib from a lovely foreign exchange student from Texas who stayed with some friends from school. The company Brittany's mother worked for gave those to all High School graduates from her class so she organized me one of those "pointy" left-over pens when she learnt that I'm very fond of those pens. Many thanks Brittany :-)
  • many pens I've bought from money gifts or bought by myself so others could present them to me

But also I gave away a few Montblanc pens to my girlfriend (black Boheme with silver trim and blue stone with matching pouch; I think she paid me for other pens from my collection ... ;-) ) and my best friend (modern 146 with an XXXF nib I did for her, LeGrand ballpoint & blue Sartorial leather pouch).

Cheers

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I was gifted a pair of Solitaire Tribute to the Montblanc RB and BP when I got married and a 144 from my dad as a hand-me-down. Though they aren't used very frequently, they sit on my table and I look at them every day with fondness.... the power of objects!

My father was gifted a few MontBlancs (I think by a few of his patients? I don't really know).

In any case, he doesn't care for writing utensils at all, so he just gave them away.

He gave me a MontBlanc Starwalker ballpoint that admittedly looked stunning, but was rattling when I was using it. I read online that this was a common problem of the series (probably a design flaw). I couldn't stand it so I sold it. I also sold another MB ballpoint he gave me, but I can't remember the model.

Now, I do remember that he also had a burgundy Generation fountain pen. He probably gave that away too, but unfortunately that was before I got into fountain pens, so I didn't get this one... Dang...

Edited by inotrym

Well I have told this story before but without too much detail a certain 'someone' was forever using one of my MB's so much so I put her name on it and gave it her. When she had to leave to go back to her previous life (and thats all you need to know ;) ) I received it back with my name on it so yes I suppose I was gifted it a roundabout way.

fpn_1390422225__cap_1.jpg

fpn_1390422184__cap.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

My one and only Montblanc (a 145 Classique, Unicef Edition) was gifted to me by my auntie for successful entry into a University here.

4 years on it's still going strong - albeit not as a daily carry, but more of a desk pen...

The superior man is modest in his speech, but exceeds in his actions - Confucius

Well I have told this story before but without too much detail a certain 'someone' was forever using one of my MB's so much so I put her name on it and gave it her. When she had to leave to go back to her previous life (and thats all you need to know ;) ) I received it back with my name on it so yes I suppose I was gifted it a roundabout way.

Great story, I guess that pen is a keeper.

Great story, I guess that pen is a keeper.

Oh yes......pity it wasnt the person but hey ho lifes little twists & turns eh...........

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......