Rohrer & Klingner Fernambuk

visvamitra

Rohrer & Klingner operates since 1892. At the moment it's the fifth generation of the family that manages the company. I guess that after 122 years they know what they are doing.

R&K inks offer amazing quality for amazing price. In my country a bnottle of R&K ink costs 5-6 $. I know it's a bit more expensive in America, yet I believe the price is still reasonable.

I find it interesting that Rohrer & Klingner seems to focus mainly on the content and not on the bottles. Inks come in industrial looking bottle taht is quite handy but there's just nothing fancy about it. It's surprising.

Anyway they offer eighteen colors, some stunning, some boring but all have good qualities and are easy to clean.

1. Alt-bordeaux
  2. Alt-Goldgrun
  3. Blu Mare
  4. Blue Permanent
  5. Cassia
  6. Fernambuc
  7. Helianthus
  8. Leipziger-Schwarz
  9. Magenta
  10. Morinda
  11. Royal Blue
  12. Salix
  13. Scabiosa
  14. Sepia
  15. Smaragdgrun
  16. Solferino
  17. Verdigris
  18. Verdura

It's time to re-review these inks.

fpn_1493235779__pernambuk_is.jpg

Fernambuk is an interesting color but it's difficult to say / decide if it's red or pink. I don't mind the color but I can understand those of you who think about dumping it out of the pen a second after putting the nib to paper. I have such reaction to cyano-turquoises.

Flow: the Ink feels wet. Not as wet as J. Herbin Eclat de Saphire but it's very wet ink.

Saturation: level of saturation is satisfying for my needs. The ink doesn’t look oversaturated, it remains fully legible in all light conditions.

Lubrication: good

Drying time: rather reasonable. 15-20 seconds on Rhodia, 10 – 15 seconds on absorbent paper.

Clogging issues: None experienced. The ink may dry in the nib but only after few minutes. You can leave the pen uncapped for 2-3 minutes and everything should be fine.

Feathering: visible feathering on Moleskine.

Bleedthrough: experienced strongly on Moleskine

Water resistance: this ink isn't water resistant.

Drops of ink on kitchen towel
Software ID
fpn_1493235969__fernambuk_rk_l_3.jpg
Color range
fpn_1493236091__fernambuk_rk_l_4.jpg
Leuchtturm1917, Kaweco Skyline Sport, double broad
fpn_1493235189__fernambuk_rk_l_1.jpg
fpn_1493235209__fernambuk_rk_l_2.jpg
fpn_1493235229__fernambuk_rk_l_5.jpg
Maruman, Kaweco Skyline Sport, broad
fpn_1493235284__fernambuk_m1.jpg
fpn_1493235441__fernambuk_m2.jpg
Moleskine, Kaweco Sport, broad nib
fpn_1493235465__fernambuk_moleskine.jpg
fpn_1493235526__fernambuk_moleskine_2.jp
Bleedthrough on Moleskine
fpn_1493235659__fernambuk_bleed.jpg
Rhofia DotPad, Kaweco Sport, broad nib
fpn_1493235544__fernambuk_rhodia_1.jpg
fpn_1493235557__fernambuk_rhodia_2.jpg
fpn_1493235575__fernambuk_rhodia_3.jpg
Rhodai, Kaweco Sport, broad nib
fpn_1493235596__fernambuk_rhodia_4.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ErrantSmudge

• Rhincodon

• inkstainedruth

• DrDebG

Thank you for the review. This is so not a color that I like. Thank you for saving me money.

This looks a lot better than the samples I saw in Amberlea's CRVs, which were so uneven and washed-out I immediately wrote off this ink. This review makes me more likely to consider this ink, as I don't have a pink yet.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

Ooh, thank you for this look at the ink! I love pink inks, and this one reminds me of ripe, juicy fruit and looks gorgeous.

I'll come up with something eventually.

• 1 year later...

I recently picked up a bottle from Goulet Pens on Fountain Pen Day and I really like it. I have it loaded in a Lamy Dialog 3 with a F nib.

Fernambuk varies between red and pink with the paper you use. It appears more pink on more absorbent papers. At first I thought it needed more saturation, but after some more writing I now think the saturation is quite acceptable, and can be used for everyday writing. It is not retina-searing, but it is bright and colorful and would also work well as a markup ink.

OH YEAH! My favorite "in your face" red/pink! This is almost always loaded in one of my pens. This is one of my "happy" inks!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

It would be interesting to see side by side with some other pinks and pink-leaning reds. Right now I've got the re-issued (reformulated?) Noodler's Suffragist Carmine that was for this year's Commonwealth Pen Show, and also this year's Lamy LE, Vibrant Pink. But I'd love for someone to also do a comparison between this ink and Iroshizuku Tsutsuji and/or Momiji.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I could probably ink up Tsutsuji and Momiji and last years Saffragist Carmine - we should also do Cape Cod Cranberry and I'll ink up the Vibrant pink. It will take me awhile but if you agree to CRV with me, I'll do them.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I don't like this ink for two reasons:

1. It's too pink and I'm just not all that hot about pink (my problem). (Vis' shots above come in close and my writings with it on my paper are practically the same.)
  2. Now don't get me wrong because I'm not criticizing R&K but this is a poor rendition of Fernambuk, a type of tree where its wood is often used e.g. for the bows of violins. I.e. less pink but rather a golden dark red.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)