The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Good Books On The How-Tos Of Calligraphy?

basic beginners books

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 djmaher

djmaher

One who wanders

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 17:39

Hello all,

I'm looking for suggestions for easily available books on Calligraphy.

Specifically, How-To guides, step by step instructions, for the complete beginner.

Most of the books I've come across so far show fantastic examples of beautiful calligraphy, but surprisingly few examples as to how to get started, which is what I'm looking for.

I know there are lots of online resources.They have been helpful, but, I prefer a book that I can sit at the table with, and practice.  That sort of thing.

I'm after a few solid books for starters.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

.....the Heart has it's reasons, which Reason knows nothing of.....

Sponsored Content

#2 Mauricio

Mauricio

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 18:30

Check the "Rare Books" section of the iampeth.com website. They have scanned lots of old books with different types of vintage calligraphy scripts. And several of those books do have several pages showing step by step as to how to learn those scripts, including explanations and pictures of body posture, proper pen holding, arm movement as well as the initial, intermediate and advanced steps to learn those script types.

I learned the Palmer Method and they show exactly what you are looking for. Lots of people ignore the several pages at the beginning of that book, but that is the most important section to someone new. Lots of detailed information, including the drills with what I call the very repetitive "sticks" and "ovals", which help you learn to size your letters at about the same size, proper spacing in between letter, consistent angle of the letters, how to properly connect the letters, how to properly draw each letter, etc. The Palmer Method book is included in iampeth.com, both in English and Spanish.

Best of wishes in your quest to learn new calligraphy scripts.

Tu Amigo!
Mauricio Aguilar

www.VintagePen.net
Posted Image
E-Mail: VintagePen@att.net

#3 juliavdw

juliavdw

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 18:49

I always recommend the Speedball Textbook. I grew up learning calligraphy and lettering styles and techniques with the 20th edition of the book, and it has been updated since then for sure. It is good for basics on a number of styles.

#4 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 21:04

Sheila Waters' "Foundations of Calligraphy."

Fred Eager's "The Italic Way to Beautiful Handwriting"

Eleanor Winters' "Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy"

Bobje reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network:

CHINA Hua Hong Blue Belter ITALY FILCAO Atlantica | FILCAO Roxi INDIA ASA Nauka in Dartmoor | ASA Nauka in Ebonite | ASA Azaadi in Opal | ASA Bheeshma in Graphite | Ranga Model 8

UK Italix Churchman's Prescriptor USA Bexley Prometheus 

INK Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue

NIB EXPERIMENTS Flex

#5 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2017 - 05:04

What style of calligraphy interests you? I would divide styles into those written with a chisel-tip pen, e.g., italic, uncial, gothic, and those written with a round-tipped nib, e.g., copperplate, Spencerian. Of course there is also the Chinese and Japanese styles written with brushes. 

Since you are in Portland, you should know that Powell's usually has a good selection of calligraphy-related books. And you might want to check with Greg MacNaughton at the Cooley Gallery at Reed College. He would probably let you look over their collection of instructional materials and offer good advice. Tell him David Snyder recommended you talk to him.

Happy writing.

David

Sponsored Content

|