Tokyo Shopping Experience/observations

fidens

I recently took a trip to Japan, mostly for hanami but it included a fairly intensive pen shopping experience in Tokyo (based on http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/p/tokyo-pen-shops.html). I thought others might find my experience relatable. An important piece of context is that I’m a ‘value shopper’ – I own several mid-range Japanese fountain pens that I have purchased from Japan, at auction on eBay, because I consider the money one saves outweighs any risk. I wouldn’t have bought any one of these pens for full retail in my own country.
I didn’t have a clear idea about what I wanted to buy when in Japan, just that I wanted a pen-related souvenir - something that I couldn’t get for less on eBay. I had a passing notion that I wouldn’t mind picking up a Nakaya or Namiki if the price was compelling. Here’s how things went:
My first stops were the big two, Itoya and Maruzen. The overall range in Itoya was impressive and so was the service. The prices, however, I found to be disappointing with the exception of the Platinum 3776 Century, which retailed for around JPY10,000 for the base model (around USD90 today). You can pick one of these up at auction for around $70, but will need to pay up to another $20 for postage depending on the retailer and destination, so the cost is comparable. All other ‘mainstream’ pens (Pilot, Sailor) that appear on eBay auctions were much more expensive than the typical auction price.
But I was looking for something not available on eBay. Itoya’s range of Nakaya and Namiki was disappointingly thin. Maruzen had a Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black that I have lusted after for a while, and which never appears at auction, but only with a medium nib (I’m a fine guy). Plus, they don’t do tax free. It’s only 8 per cent, but the idea of paying full retail was anathema. I moved on.
Success was realised at the discount stores. At Yodobashi Camera I saw Platinum 3776s selling for JPY6,500 ($58 with tax, or $54 without) but I already own one and was after something a bit more exotic. Finally at Takeya General Discount Store I achieved my goal. In a cabinet full of inexpensive Japanese pens I saw a Sailor 1911 Black Luster tucked away on the bottom shelf. The 1911 normally leaves me cold but the Black Luster is something special and at JPY24,000 (around $215 with tax, or $198 sans tax) I was hooked. The cheapest I could find these for online was $260 (no auctions). They let me dip test a fine and an extra fine and held the fine for me overnight while I persuaded my wife that I’d be mad, MAD, not to buy it. She bought it.
post-136324-0-40720400-1493215973_thumb.jpg

Buy what about the Nakaya? Completely by chance I discovered that Nakaya was holding a staff demonstration week at Itoya in Shibuya, which I hadn’t visited. On the very last evening of the demo I took the train to Shibuya, stepped off the Ginza straight into Itoya and the Nakaya display. They had a huge range of beautiful pens (sorry, no pics, too busy ogling) and a test set to allow shoppers to try out the various (Platinum 3776) nibs. Starting price was JPY65,000 ($583 w tax, $536 w/out). These retail for $650 online so it’s a decent saving… what story was I going to spin my wife? Nakaya pens bring good luck? Ward off cancer? Heal a broken planet? Nah. This was much more affordable:

post-136324-0-01272300-1493216046_thumb.jpg

The moral for me is: if you’re shopping in Tokyo for pens and aren’t looking to drop a whole lot of cash, try the discount stores; you might just get lucky. Also, you can save serious money if you are looking to buy a Nakaya in Japan, but check their website for their regular demonstrations; the range is much bigger than anything you will see in a store.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fidens

• wanderlust

• Mew

• BCGGSM

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I do find the discount stores like Yodobashi and Bic Camera a good start. If you are looking for mid range pens, they usually got something worth to look at.

However, I have no luck in finding higher end pens at a discount price. I was in Tokyo in March and could not find the Pilot Custom Urushi at any discount. I saw them in person in Itoya and another department store, but at full retail. I just could not convince myself to buy such a pen that would cost me more that what I paid for my MB149.

I wasn't really looking for a Namiki but I also could not find a place that sell them lower than full retail as well. And no luck from Rakuten or Amazon as well. I prefer to see them in person before buying because of the price tag anyway.

Thanks for the fun post. I was also very excited when I first visited Japan last summer. I was fortunate enough that Nakaya was having a fair at Ginza Itoya when I was there. Even better, I got to meet Mr. Yoshida. Of course I had to buy a pen so that he can grind it for me. Did you get to meet any of the craftsman at the demonstration? I find the experience meeting Mr. Yoshida more memorable than having bought a pen.

Next time you might get lucky at Kingdom Note in Shinjuku. They do have some great deals. I got a Sailor Hello Kitty 40th Anniversary FP for a steal.

Just tell your wife it is the same pen you got last time for every pen you bought, she won't know the difference ;)

They let me dip test a fine and an extra fine and held the fine for me overnight while I persuaded my wife that I’d be mad, MAD, not to buy it. She bought it.

Very interesting post, thank you! Can I ask you about communication with japanese staff? Were you pointing a pens or did they know a bit of english?

However, I have no luck in finding higher end pens at a discount price. I was in Tokyo in March and could not find the Pilot Custom Urushi at any discount. I saw them in person in Itoya and another department store, but at full retail. I just could not convince myself to buy such a pen that would cost me more that what I paid for my MB149.

I wasn't really looking for a Namiki but I also could not find a place that sell them lower than full retail as well. And no luck from Rakuten or Amazon as well. I prefer to see them in person before buying because of the price tag anyway.

About Pilot Custom Urushi, Pilot is facing production shortage, so it figures that there would be no discount. A low inventory high demand item is never or should never be sold at a discount.

About Namiki pens, I am told that there are currently 22 Namiki retailers in Japan. None of them are allowed sell below MSRP. If they do that, they'll be thrown off the retailer list.

I have bought 5 Vermillion Namiki urushi #50 pens from the same retailer (4 for my friends, one for me) and also planning to pick up a Urushi #20 next time. Discussed with them about any discount they can offer on it, straight refusal.

About Pilot Custom Urushi, Pilot is facing production shortage, so it figures that there would be no discount. A low inventory high demand item is never or should never be sold at a discount.

About Namiki pens, I am told that there are currently 22 Namiki retailers in Japan. None of them are allowed sell below MSRP. If they do that, they'll be thrown off the retailer list.

I have bought 5 Vermillion Namiki urushi #50 pens from the same retailer (4 for my friends, one for me) and also planning to pick up a Urushi #20 next time. Discussed with them about any discount they can offer on it, straight refusal.

Thanks for the info. 5 Namiki? LOL I guess the shop must love you by now! I am able to find the Nippon art line under MSRP, yes, but not the Yukari.

As for the Custom Urushi, I guess I will just wait and see. It's a nice pen in person, but not at full retail nice. :)

I believe it is a maki-e converter.

Correct - a Platinum converter with Nakaya maki-e :) I've ordered a special pen to showcase it and will post a pic once it arrives...

Very interesting post, thank you! Can I ask you about communication with japanese staff? Were you pointing a pens or did they know a bit of english?

I'm glad you found it worth your time. As one might expect, the staff in the higher end stores all had some English and could call upon another staff member with good English if necessary. The gentleman who served me in Takeya, where I bought the 1911, understood more than he spoke. When I returned the next day with my permission slip, the pen was gone from the cabinet. It turned out he had taken them out of the display in anticipation of my return, which I hadn't expected.

Congrats on the Sailor 1911 Black Luster! It really looks like a nice pen.

I love it. It's only my second Sailor and my first fine Sailor. The weighted section gives a 'heft' that I really like, but right down near the nib so it never feels like I'm fighting it. The nib is toothier than my Pro Gear II medium (which is uncannily smooth), but I don't mind a bit of feedback.

I normally don't go for cigar-shaped pens but when I use this I feel like Darth Vader. In a good way.

I recently took a trip to Japan, mostly for hanami but it included a fairly intensive pen shopping experience in Tokyo (based on http://estilofilos.blogspot.com/p/tokyo-pen-shops.html). I thought others might find my experience relatable. An important piece of context is that I’m a ‘value shopper’ – I own several mid-range Japanese fountain pens that I have purchased from Japan, at auction on eBay, because I consider the money one saves outweighs any risk. I wouldn’t have bought any one of these pens for full retail in my own country.
I didn’t have a clear idea about what I wanted to buy when in Japan, just that I wanted a pen-related souvenir - something that I couldn’t get for less on eBay. I had a passing notion that I wouldn’t mind picking up a Nakaya or Namiki if the price was compelling. Here’s how things went:
My first stops were the big two, Itoya and Maruzen. The overall range in Itoya was impressive and so was the service. The prices, however, I found to be disappointing with the exception of the Platinum 3776 Century, which retailed for around JPY10,000 for the base model (around USD90 today). You can pick one of these up at auction for around $70, but will need to pay up to another $20 for postage depending on the retailer and destination, so the cost is comparable. All other ‘mainstream’ pens (Pilot, Sailor) that appear on eBay auctions were much more expensive than the typical auction price.
But I was looking for something not available on eBay. Itoya’s range of Nakaya and Namiki was disappointingly thin. Maruzen had a Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black that I have lusted after for a while, and which never appears at auction, but only with a medium nib (I’m a fine guy). Plus, they don’t do tax free. It’s only 8 per cent, but the idea of paying full retail was anathema. I moved on.
Success was realised at the discount stores. At Yodobashi Camera I saw Platinum 3776s selling for JPY6,500 ($58 with tax, or $54 without) but I already own one and was after something a bit more exotic. Finally at Takeya General Discount Store I achieved my goal. In a cabinet full of inexpensive Japanese pens I saw a Sailor 1911 Black Luster tucked away on the bottom shelf. The 1911 normally leaves me cold but the Black Luster is something special and at JPY24,000 (around $215 with tax, or $198 sans tax) I was hooked. The cheapest I could find these for online was $260 (no auctions). They let me dip test a fine and an extra fine and held the fine for me overnight while I persuaded my wife that I’d be mad, MAD, not to buy it. She bought it.

Buy what about the Nakaya? Completely by chance I discovered that Nakaya was holding a staff demonstration week at Itoya in Shibuya, which I hadn’t visited. On the very last evening of the demo I took the train to Shibuya, stepped off the Ginza straight into Itoya and the Nakaya display. They had a huge range of beautiful pens (sorry, no pics, too busy ogling) and a test set to allow shoppers to try out the various (Platinum 3776) nibs. Starting price was JPY65,000 ($583 w tax, $536 w/out). These retail for $650 online so it’s a decent saving… what story was I going to spin my wife? Nakaya pens bring good luck? Ward off cancer? Heal a broken planet? Nah. This was much more affordable:

attachicon.gifconverter.JPG

The moral for me is: if you’re shopping in Tokyo for pens and aren’t looking to drop a whole lot of cash, try the discount stores; you might just get lucky. Also, you can save serious money if you are looking to buy a Nakaya in Japan, but check their website for their regular demonstrations; the range is much bigger than anything you will see in a store.

This is very helpful! What do you think of the Platinum 3776 century?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

This is very helpful! What do you think of the Platinum 3776 century?

Good question. I bought it especially for the SF nib and hated it... at first. It was scratchy as hell and very, very dry. Which is to say: it was scratchy as hell *because* it was very, very dry - a problem that I have seen reported elsewhere.

Close inspection showed that the tines were pressed very firmly together until halfway up the nib. Because it is a soft nib I wasn't able to spread them with the nib installed (by flexing it on a hard surface), but fortunately the nib is easy enough to remove.

Through a combination of flossing with a brass shim and carefully pressing the shoulders of the nib back I was able to spread the tines so that the very tips were just barely touching. This improved the flow of ink considerably.

I am now very happy with the pen; it writes a fine but clear line without any pressure on the nib. It has a good flow, though could scarcely be called wet. The soft nib makes it fun too.

Edited by fidens

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info. 5 Namiki? LOL I guess the shop must love you by now! I am able to find the Nippon art line under MSRP, yes, but not the Yukari.

As for the Custom Urushi, I guess I will just wait and see. It's a nice pen in person, but not at full retail nice. :)

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

The shop does express it's gratitude in it's service. I hope to pick up a maki-e emperor soon.

I was considering the Yukari (Urushi #20) but with that negligible price difference, might as well pick up another Emperor (Urushi #50).

also consider to check Sekaido and Tokyu hands you may also get lucky, its just that Ito-ya normally has a vast collection and the big 3 websites already state what the prices for each model are anyway

I mean sure they are sold at SRP in these places but if you need that model without "gambling" then they are a good place to stop at for quick shopping

• 1 month later...

I am planning a trip to Japan in December... I thought visiting a manufacturer / pen maker facility if possible (my 2 previous trips to Japan included visiting the Toyota Nagoya plant, the Yamazaki distillerie...). I love the Sailor pens, I used to own one but someone stole it, would love to buy one but directly from the Sailor production facility if it was possible.

But my dream is to buy a Namiki. I watched several videos about pen making including Namiki's own website. Has anyone out there ever visited one of Platinum, or Pilot, Sailor manufacturing facilities?

​Looking forward to visiting Japan again!

^buying directly from the manufacturer is not possible.

Namiki pens are made in Hiratsuka. Maki-e ones too.

I am planning a trip to Japan in December... I thought visiting a manufacturer / pen maker facility if possible (my 2 previous trips to Japan included visiting the Toyota Nagoya plant, the Yamazaki distillerie...). I love the Sailor pens, I used to own one but someone stole it, would love to buy one but directly from the Sailor production facility if it was possible.

But my dream is to buy a Namiki. I watched several videos about pen making including Namiki's own website. Has anyone out there ever visited one of Platinum, or Pilot, Sailor manufacturing facilities?

​Looking forward to visiting Japan again!

You can visit Pilot/Namiki factory in Hiratsuka. They have an area where they exhibit some of their makie masterpieces and even golf clubs in makie. The factory is a bit of train ride from Tokyo. After you reach Hiratsuka, you will need to take taxi to get to the factory. I was lucky to meet Seiki Chida as their artists are not always in the workshop. The staff was very nice although she spoke limited English. Try to e-mail them in advance to make the appointment for the visit. :)

^buying directly from the manufacturer is not possible.

Namiki pens are made in Hiratsuka. Maki-e ones too.

You are right. They do not sell pens in the factory.

Yes, I do find the discount stores like Yodobashi and Bic Camera a good start. If you are looking for mid range pens, they usually got something worth to look at.

No discounts in fountain pen retail stores in Japan (with the few exceptions mentioned). It is the norm.