Visconti Traveling Inkwell

dyoneda1

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a Visconti Homo Sapiens Silver Age Oversized Fountain Pen. Everything is perfect. Love the way this thing writes. My biggest mistake is buying this Traveling Inkwell by Visconti. I'm not sure if this is a knockoff, but I used it today. I went on YouTube and looked up Goulet Pens to show me how to use this. Followed all the directions. Made sure the nib was inserted into the inkwell. Got a really tight snug. So I thought...

Twice I tried this. I got ink running down my fingers and my pen. It stained my brand new pen. Does anyone have an experience with this Inkwell? And is there another way I can just avoid getting ink all over the porous lava / resin besides using this piece of (bleep)?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WhosYerBob

• Arcadian

• dyoneda1

• CrispyBacon_87

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly have no idea, but I'm yearning for both of those things, so I'll be curious to see what people say....

Try it with a different pen. The lava is porous, so maybe that's the issue...which begs the question, why the (bleep) is Visconti selling that (bleep) with their expensive pens?

I've got one of the Visconti Traveling Inkwells, and it works great with pens that have a thicker grip/section, like the bigger Pelikan models. With pens that have thinner grips and/or sections -- like a Sheaffer Snorkel -- it leaks badly and/or doesn't work at all. The best way to test is to just use water first; if it leaks with a specific pen, don't use it with that one.

<span style='font-size: 12px;'><span style='font-family: Trebuchet MS'><span style='color: #0000ff'><strong class='bbc'>Mitch</strong></span><span style='color: #0000ff'>

=======

http://exploratorius.us

Is it the Universal one? They have a ton of different inkwells, some are specifically tailored to a single pen's section diameter.

-k

Even with the top quality of Visconti, I am too much of a coward to turn an uncapped bottle of ink

upside down. Have you considered the TWSBI inkwell ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I can strongly recommend it! With the VTIW in your bag, even a pen with little ink volume is not an issue any longer (as with my Sailor ProGears). Super quick & easy filling. Even some of my smaller, slimmer lever-fillers work with the ink well, well, quite well.

Why only Visconti offers this is beyond me.

Most practical FP accessoire ever!

I love my TWink (Travelling Well of Ink). I use it with other pens because I don't have a Visconti. If it's not working for you, then I'd talk to Visconti. Mine is wonderful.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Mine works great. I don't use it often and never take it with me during my travels. I strictly use it to ensure a full fill when reloading my Homo Sapiens Bronze Age maxi. I tested it a few times with water first.

I have a method. First I pull the plunger of my pen before inserting it into the well. Once I get a snug fit, I turn the pen over while the nib is in the well. This action ensures the nib is completely submerged in ink. You can see this through the clear window of the well itself. I grip the pen with my bottom two fingers and the left bottom part of my palm. I grip the well with my other three fingers (thumb, pointer, middle). Then I push the plunger up with my other hand and wait a second or two while the pen fills with ink. I do it a second time for good measure. Then I flip it over, remove my pen, cap both the pen and well, and presto! Full pen. I noticed I don't even need to wipe the grip section down as its a perfectly clean fit with the well and HS Bronze Age maxi. Hope that helps.

By the way, the reason I use that grip with the well and pen is to prevent it from flying off and spilling ink due to the built up pressure when pushing the piston back ink the pen to suck up the ink.