The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Iron Gall, Preventing Mold Etc.

iron gall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 linearM

linearM

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 April 2017 - 02:32

I walk in the college arboretum every weekday and noticed oak galls on some of the smaller oak trees.  Hmmm, maybe I should try making some iron gall ink!  That is what started it all.  I looked up recipes, found one that was simple enough and got the iron sulfate and gum arabic and now have a batch of iron gall ink that I am really enjoying using...with my dip pen not my vintage fountain pens. This is my first venture in making my own ink but may not be the last.  I have a black walnut in my front yard!

Now I'm wondering if I might have problem with mold growth or some other slimy organism fouling up the ink.  Is there a preservative that I should be using to prevent the problem, or maybe with the acidity that iron gall is supposed to have organisms aren't a problem.  I think I saw someplace that cloves could be placed in the container and would do the job.  Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.  

Sponsored Content

#2 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,727 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 00:06

Do a quick search here for a post by Sam Capote - I think the title is Biocide shoot out.  He does a great job.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#3 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 01:59

The traditional biocide for old-style iron gall inks is vinegar, typically from wine or beer that has gone off. 

So, while you have your bucket of crushed galls fermenting (outside, please...) you need to have a jeroboam of really cheap, nasty wine beside it with the lid off. The air will get in and  " acetic acid bacteria [will consume] the alcohol in [the] wine and metabolizes it into acetic acid and acetaldehyde." 

The acetic acid will stop any other bacteria and fungus from growing and the acetaldehyde will stop the snails getting in and getting drunk on bad wine...

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#4 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 16:03

The traditional biocide for old-style iron gall inks is vinegar, typically from wine or beer that has gone off. 

So, while you have your bucket of crushed galls fermenting (outside, please...) you need to have a jeroboam of really cheap, nasty wine beside it with the lid off. The air will get in and  " acetic acid bacteria [will consume] the alcohol in [the] wine and metabolizes it into acetic acid and acetaldehyde." 

The acetic acid will stop any other bacteria and fungus from growing and the acetaldehyde will stop the snails getting in and getting drunk on bad wine...

Please forgive my for being judgmental.  That's disgusting !   :sick:  I just took a break from FPN, and ordered from Ebay -- twelve bottles of Thornton Blue for $21.52, free shipping.  I hope never to have to do this. :happyberet:  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#5 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2017 - 23:06

Please forgive my for being judgmental.  That's disgusting !   :sick:  I just took a break from FPN, and ordered from Ebay -- twelve bottles of Thornton Blue for $21.52, free shipping.  I hope never to have to do this. :happyberet:  

Well, we are talking about making ink during medieval times. Pretty well everything was disgusting then by modern standards. Just look up leather tanning.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#6 AubreyFhia

AubreyFhia

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:15

I made some IG ink last year and stored it in a small jam jar in a cupboard and just found it again!
I tried it with a G dip nib and it's better than when I first made it, no mould either!
I made two batches, slightly different ingredients and they both seem to be fine.
I have a good stasch of oak galls and plan on crunching them up and getting them soaking ready to try again but this time I'm gonna boil where as last time I didn't.
Any recommendations or advise would be welcomed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iron gall

Sponsored Content

|