If You Could Only Own One Sheaffer, Which One Would It Be?

lordofnumpties

I'm hoping to add a Sheaffer to my collection. New or vintage. Not impressed with an Australian burgundy Imperial or a friend's Sheaffer 100. It felt like cheap plastic, and compared to other steel nibs, there was too much feedback and no flexibility.

Recommendations?

I can't seem to blame ya. Sheaffers are not really for everybody. I personally don't recommend the post 'Chinese' designed models. How much do you want to pay??

Here are some good ones...

- Balance - A writer's pen. MB ripped off of this guy.

- Prelude - Like a better version of the Parker Sonnet. Good weight, nice nib, great suit pen.

- Imperialssssss - Nibs galore! There are too many models to list. I understand that you did not like your friend's Imperial. Did it have a SS or gold nib? It may just be that you don't like softer plastics, (polystyrene).

- Legacy - Like the PFM, (also a good one), but it's built like a tank. And it's a newer pen.

- Touchdowns/ Snorkels - I would buy one in a heartbeat. Thinner pens, but the weight distribution is fantastic.

Sheaffers write real consistently, and are known for their balance. Their nibs are usually stiff, and their tipping will always be made for heavy - duty writing.

EDIT: Oh yea, and don't forget them Targas. Real comfy to use. I don't own one, but I, (again), almost bought one of the spot.

Can you tell I am a Sheaffer nut?? (SorryParkerPenCompany...)

Edited by AL01

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• mitto

• AL01

• Ron Z

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Snorkel has become my best daily carry pen. The conical nib seems to be the best nib for all around writing for my personal left handed style. And the dimensions: whichever model is about 5.5 inches, seems to be just the right length. Not too long, not too short. And the diameter is also perfect. It isn't the most favorite pen to hold and write with (that honors is going to my Waterman 100 Year), but it is the pen I will want to write the longest with. My best "worker," if you will.

• 9 months later...

If You Could Only Own One Sheaffer

What do you mean, _if_? :) I only have one Shaeffer! A late '80s Targa with 14k medium nib. I never really bonded with it so eventually I gave it away. Then I didn't see it for 5 years. Recently it was given back to me and I _love_ it. The nib is quite soft and flexible and I guess that back in they day, I used to press down too much. That immediately makes it scratchy. By now I've learned not to press down at all, and this is a beautifully tuned nib that writes like butter yet gives a wonderful sense of exquisitely subtle feedback. It's addictive. The only quibble is that it's rather wet, with a considerable drying time. My best pen, but for slow writing.

I've got a Legacy, a vintage Sentinel Snorkel, and a vintage Crest. They are all pretty great. I hope to scare up a nice PFM one of these days.

They are all great writers. I prefer medium or larger nibs though, and the vintage pens frequently have super fine nibs.

The Legacy would probably be my recommendation for you. That inlaid nib is lovely, and it's buttery smooth. It's also got some girth and a bit of weight to it (39G posted), but it's not crazy heavy.

Of the 10 or so Sheaffer pens I own, my favorite is my first generation Sheaffer Balance Oversized (lever filler) in white/black pearl. These pens are fun to look at and so smooth to write with. Second favorite would be my Legacy II with 18K inlaid nib and touchdown filling. As smooth a writer but a bit heavier than the Balance.

The jury is still out on my latest acquisition- a Triumph with snorkel filling system. In the shop for an upgrade.

The only Sheaffer pen in my collection that I don't care much for is the Sagaris. It does not feel very Sheaffer like to me.

Edited by dadbar

This is my favourite pen ever. I'd love to know more about it.

It looks imperially but I can't seem to find out exactly what it is. I've had it some time and it is the best writer I have ever had. It is also excessively pretty. I'm posting some pictures and would be grateful if someone could identify it for me. (I'm trying to use the correct terminology so apologies if I've got it wrong!)

post-74901-0-25888600-1519563086.jpg

post-74901-0-22957000-1519563180_thumb.jpg

post-74901-0-02206500-1519563205_thumb.jpg

post-74901-0-49807600-1519563321_thumb.jpg

This is my favourite pen ever. I'd love to know more about it.

It looks imperially but I can't seem to find out exactly what it is. I've had it some time and it is the best writer I have ever had. It is also excessively pretty. I'm posting some pictures and would be grateful if someone could identify it for me. (I'm trying to use the correct terminology so apologies if I've got it wrong!)

Model AS17T Sheaffer Imperial Triumph touchdown.

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Imperial%20and%20Triumph/Imperial%20triumph%20SHEAFFER%20TD%20Fountain%20Pen.html

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Sheaffer made many fantastic pens and its difficult to choose a single pen .However a Taga is a very good candidate for choosing as a single Sheaffer .Many finishes and nib widths that make you love and keep this pen for a lifetime .

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Targa chrome finish with medium almost Waverly perfect nib from pressing way too hard and getting use to the fountain pen in my early days of use. A legacy II in silver and a broad nib is a nice looking pen in the collection, good balance but oddly I just dont use it as often as other pens.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Imperial with inlaid nib, Touchdown filler and Holly 96 cap. Burgundy barrel. EF

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 1 year later...

Red Veined lever fill OS Balance fine nib

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

This one.

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/OrangeConn.jpg

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Tough call. Either a Balance or a fat Touchdown with a medium, relatively firm open/standard nib.

I also like the Triumph nib, but I guess I just prefer the design of the traditional, open nib. Both are excellent.

Sheaffer is king among vintage pens if you like a rigid, smooth nib.