What Significant Documents Have You Signed Using A Fountain Pen?

Wolverine

What significant (to you) documents/contracts/agreements have you signed using a fountain pen?

What pen was it?

What nib did you use?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Bo Bo Olson

• Sasha Royale

• mitto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my personal life: For the mortgage on my house I used a Sheaffer Legacy in Sterling Silver with a stub nib; for the refi docs when the rates fell, old style Duofold Centennial in Orange with a broad italic nib

Professional life: My job requires me to sign beaucoup contracts, so it is usually whatever pen I am carrying that has a stub/italic nib...for a couple of times, being the borrowing agency in a bond issue, I used a freshly filled Pelikan 400 for the first one and ran out of ink (if you have every had to sign bond docs you know what I mean)...for the second one, I used a freshly filled Pelikan 800 and did not run out of ink

Thomas
Baton Rouge, LA
(tbickiii)

Check out my ebay pen listings
:
  tbickiii's Vintage Fountain Pens

I TRIED to sign the mortgage on my house with a fountain pen, but I had put Noodler's Black in it because I wanted something more permanent than my other inks and they told me I had to sign in blue. *Facepalm*

Had to use a cheap pen they provided, sadly...

During the dot com era, I signed a contract to sell a business I had started for enough money to retire in extreme comfort. I used a MB 147 that I never really liked very much. Subsequently the dot com bubble burst, the buyer was unable to close the deal, and I was back to working for a living. That pen has since been sold!

Mortgage, sale of a house, car title, will, power of attorney, advance directive, criminal complaint, postal documents, US Savings Bonds, Magna Carta.

( I lied about the last one. :lticaptd: )

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Work contracts & mortgages are in the mists of the distant past, can't remember them distinctly, but most likely they were signed with a Pelikan 400NN, OBB. At that time I only had that one fountain pen.

Now I use a stainless Kaweco Lilliput (14k 0.5 butter-line-stub) for any signatures, cheques & so forth. Yesterday I signed into my fly fishing club's ledger with my tiny Lilliput.

Four rainbow trout caught & four released. :D

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Most of the paperwork for buying our most recent vehicle. I say most, because, sadly, I had to use the proffered BP for the financial stuff, which were carbonless forms. Next time, I'll make sure to have a pen with a manifold nib.... (I had used a Noodler's Konrad filled with Noodler's Kung Te Cheng because that ink is pretty much everything-proof.... ;))

I've also signed tax forms and routinely sign checks (I signed the check for the accountant doing the trust fund tax return with the new TWSBI and De Atramentis Sky Blue, but used a darker color (Edelstein Tanzanite, IIRC) for the actual return. And just today, my husband had to file some sort of additional paperwork for unemployment (explaining that no, the sideline business is NOT the primary income and is done on vacation time) with a Parker 51 Vac and vintage Microfilm Black. I had to fill out the form so it would be remotely legible (his handwriting is atrocious), but he did sign with the same pen -- although he has yet to tell me if a vintage F nib made a small enough line for his BIC Fine Point sensibilities... (I know he liked the feel of the Burgundy Aerometric he used last summer for something, but not the nib width).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

My master's thesis right after the oral defence was over, with a Montblanc 149 filled with Montblanc Black ink.

Also my marriage registration but I can't for the life of me remember which pen I used. Well, it was a pretty big day with other things going on!

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Leases, taxes, receipts for drugs, surgery consent forms, and every check I've written since May 2004.

The leases, checks and tax forms were written with a burgundy Sheaffer Imperial IV with pure Noodler's Black in it, and most of the rest are signed using either a Sheaffer Javelin with Noodler's Red/Black ink or a Dollar pen filled with a mixture of Noodler's Black/Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black/Visconti Black ink.

For the marriage certificate the bureaucrats insisted on their own black ballpoint pens :angry: .

I routinely use the Dollar pen for signing credit card charge forms, although I've used the Sheaffer javelin for that sometimes too. I use the fountain pens everywhere I can.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

All work-related over my last working decade or so, from major contracts to trivial letters, were signed with a Waterman Expert II. Our land purchase and house construction contracts last year with a Waterman Exception.

X

Both myself and my wife (and the registrar) signed the wedding register, and marriage certificate with an Arbutus Apollo inked with diamine registrars ink.

All documentation relating to births, deaths and marriages must be signed with an ink pen as they called it, and the registrars office have Parker Vectors for the task, however they were quite happy for us to use our own, provided it was inked with a registrars ink.

I was a fp noob at the time, and Laura had bought me the pen for Christmas.

I even have photos of the pen being used during the signing.

Easily the most valuable pen in my collection. :)

Ian

Edited by Ian the Jock

Everything I have to sign, I sign with a fountain pen if at all possible, so I can't recall specifics. I usually use my Parker "51" and Organics Studio Blue Merle ink. Vintage pen, vintage-y ink, and a good solid blue-black so no one will object.

I just hope no one runs any of these documents under a faucet. :rolleyes:

If it's something like a credit card receipt and the clerk is already holding out a Bic, I won't wave it aside. But for almost all other signatures, I use whatever fountain pen I have with me, and whatever ink is in it. I prefer blue to black in any case, but I've heard different things about whether blue is actually required for certain signatures. Is it perhaps just a standard practice not actually required by law? I leave it to any attorneys here to instruct us. But I have signed some fairly important documents in brown, purple, and green, as well as blue and black. ;)

I don't have a dedicated signature pen, although I suppose if I were showing up to sign for a real landmark event I might bring the nicest looking pen that I had inked at the time: right now that would probably be my Vacumatic. I have had to sign a number of legal documents over the past few months; for the most recent, which needed to be notarized, I recall using my Parker 51 with Pilot Blue-Black ink. I think that almost any fountain pen that I might have with me would be quite presentable next to the ballpoints that would be offered to me instead. And of the inks I use most often, Pilot Blue and Blue-Black are quite water resistant.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I try signing any documents with a fountain pen as much as possible.

I recently signed my tax return documents with Aurora Mare, medium nib.

At work, I usually use Rotring Freeway and Parker Vacumatic with fine nib from writing to signing and even drawing.

I sign many construction contractor submittals.

Parker 51 is going to be sent my way soon, so I am hoping I can add it to my daily pen collection as well.

Dream, take one step at a time and achieve. :)

I too use a fountain pen as much as possible.

My marriage license is probably the most significant legal document I have signed with a fountain pen (Jinhao X750 with 54th Mass because I had to fly to get there and didn't want to risk travelling with anything else). Day to day I use whatever pen is nearby sometimes limited by whichever pen is inked in the neighborhood of black or blue.

I signed my will with a Parker VP, but most importantly, I sign my bar tab with a fountain pen every week! :lticaptd:

fpn_1497391483__snailbadge.png

There was a thread here recently which talked about this issue:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/319681-fountain-pen-use-for-legal-documents/

I sign every thing both professional and personal with fountain pens which are the only writing instrument I use except in those very limited occasions when, usually in court, I still have to fill out a carbon form. There's always a fountain pen in my pocket so I can't remember specifics of what doc was signed with which pen.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

post-87026-0-43568500-1493226238_thumb.jpgFor me, it was signing my wedding certificate with my Namiki Nightline.

I was gifted this pen 10 years before, it was the first time it had been inked and I let everyone know it was a very special occasion that deserved to be signed by a very special pen.