Pens For Arm Writing

square-nibbed

Newcomer here. My name's Sebastian. Fountain pen user for a bit more than a year.

I began to write with a fountain pen mostly because I want to do arm writing. The classic type with a pronated elbow and a tripod that the forefinger lies on top. I have small glove size as well.

I found that this loose grip calls for a special pen, and a good pen can make a real difference. At least not those with a standard tripod grip. TWSBI ECO pokes my forefinger after a long writing session, and I doubt Lamy Safari would fit. Currently I stick to my TWSBI Vac Mini, unposted.

So do you have a favourite pen for arm writing?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ac12

• callous4567

• square-nibbed

• benbot517

I find that when I use larger pens I'm more likely to automatically start arm writing. They have to be oversized though for that to happen.

"Oh deer."

A straight dip pen holder

Most of my fountain pens will do

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Hey! Same name! If your last name begins with an S too, then hot darn daffodil!

To the point though, how do you do your arm writing? Is it writing by using your arm to manoeuvre (I SPELT THAT CORRECTLY HOLY) the pen while maintaining contact with the page with your wrist? If so then I qualify, if not then I don't ;-;

Also I use a Noodlers Neponset. I love it! Try it with your Safari, trust me, it works, and you can write really fast with it (barring any shakiness, my hands, arm, etc, they shake like a jackhammer)

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think there is any reason why any pen wouldn't work for arm writing. That is, perhaps, barring certain specialty nibs. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Fair winds and following seas.

To the point though, how do you do your arm writing? Is it writing by using your arm to manoeuvre (I SPELT THAT CORRECTLY HOLY) the pen while maintaining contact with the page with your wrist? If so then I qualify, if not then I don't ;-;

Think about how you write on a black/white board. That is arm writing.

Hold the pen, then push, pull and pivot using your upper arm and shoulder.

The small version is, rest your arm on the muscle pad just in front of the elbow. Then push your arm around, pivoting on that pad of muscle.

To write larger, rather than pivoting on that pad of muscle, you have to MOVE the entire arm.

The wrist is either floating above the paper or sliding on the paper with the arm. I prefer to float my wrist, and just contact with the tip or side of my little finger, to tell me how much above the paper my hand is. If the wrist is anchored on the paper, you cannot write with your arm.

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks AC, for explaining it... I didn't know either, but your explanation reflects what I had conjured in my mind.

At any rate, welcome Sebastian - that is a GREAT name. :D

I'm not familiar with the technique, but if Penbot is correct and big pens are better; you can't get much bigger than a Jinhao 159. If money is no object, a Mont Blanc 149- which is a shameless copy of the Jinhao 159. :rolleyes:

Others to consider would be the Lamy 2000 or the TWSBI Vac 700.

I know you said you had small hands, but I think large pens in small hands may be less problematic than small pens in large hands.

Good luck. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

Newcomer here. My name's Sebastian. Fountain pen user for a bit more than a year.

I began to write with a fountain pen mostly because I want to do arm writing. The classic type with a pronated elbow and a tripod that the forefinger lies on top. I have small glove size as well.

I found that this loose grip calls for a special pen, and a good pen can make a real difference. At least not those with a standard tripod grip. TWSBI ECO pokes my forefinger after a long writing session, and I doubt Lamy Safari would fit. Currently I stick to my TWSBI Vac Mini, unposted.

So do you have a favourite pen for arm writing?

Arm writing seems to be what was called hand writing when I was learning it, although I think I have the "tripod grip," but that was quite a number of decades ago. I write that way for all pens, and even for all pencils. I wasn't aware that any fountain pens would not work for the writing I was taught. I think that the cursive writing I was taught was the Palmer Method, since the upper case letter "Q" looks like a giant number "2."

Anyway, I hope you get some good suggestions and :W2FPN: .

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I'm not familiar with the technique, but if Penbot is correct and big pens are better; you can't get much bigger than a Jinhao 159. If money is no object, a Mont Blanc 149- which is a shameless copy of the Jinhao 159. :rolleyes:

Others to consider would be the Lamy 2000 or the TWSBI Vac 700.

I know you said you had small hands, but I think large pens in small hands may be less problematic than small pens in large hands.

Everybody has an opinion.

And I disagree with this Penbot.

I do NOT like large/FAT pens. If the barrel is over 13mm, I reject the pen.

And I have rejected the Lamy 2000 as being too FAT for ME to use. That pen was a waste of $130.

I personally prefer the size and weight of some of the vintage pens.

Smaller than 12mm and preferably 11mm (at the widest point of the body), and about 15 grams in weight (posted).

www.SFPenShow.com

Think about how you write on a black/white board. That is arm writing.

Hold the pen, then push, pull and pivot using your upper arm and shoulder.

The small version is, rest your arm on the muscle pad just in front of the elbow. Then push your arm around, pivoting on that pad of muscle.

To write larger, rather than pivoting on that pad of muscle, you have to MOVE the entire arm.

The wrist is either floating above the paper or sliding on the paper with the arm. I prefer to float my wrist, and just contact with the tip or side of my little finger, to tell me how much above the paper my hand is. If the wrist is anchored on the paper, you cannot write with your arm.

Rip :-;

I don't know if you'd know this or not, but, could you recommend a way to do it with a shaky arm? I can do this arm writing stuff in large print as long as I apply a lot of pressure on my pen (which limits me from using anything flexible, I need continuous pressure: if I lose the pressure then there is no friction to keep my arm from jazzing everywhere) but whenever I try to do it in small print, the wobbles get in the way :(

That being said, could you post a picture of some fancy writing with your arm writing? :D

My ideal for the finger-atop writing mode is pretty much anything that doesn't have a specific grip built into its-- Pelikanos and Safaris call for the finger-beneath grip. So, either a Parker 75 or VP that allows the nib to rotate relative to a sculpted section, or any of the legions of conic/cylindrical sections. I'm not particularly sensitive to length in this department, assuming it's longer than a golf pencil, but I do find that a really slender pen, something like a Parker 180 or a Sailor Chanala, insists on a good finger-atop grip to avoid clenched fingers and that a really fat pen (like an MB 149) becomes a burden.

However, what really interferes with arm-writing for me is a pen that is too heavy. There's some room for a slightly heavy pen that is well balanced, but even good balance can't save a burdensome pen.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Rip :-;

I don't know if you'd know this or not, but, could you recommend a way to do it with a shaky arm? I can do this arm writing stuff in large print as long as I apply a lot of pressure on my pen (which limits me from using anything flexible, I need continuous pressure: if I lose the pressure then there is no friction to keep my arm from jazzing everywhere) but whenever I try to do it in small print, the wobbles get in the way :(

That being said, could you post a picture of some fancy writing with your arm writing? :D

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Resting your arm on the pad of muscle in front of your elbow.

Push down on that pad to stabilize your arm.

You "should" be able to still push/pull your arm, at least I seem to be able to do it.

Hold your wrist above the paper.

Grip/hold the pen so that the finger nails of your ring and little finger are touching the paper, the press down on those 2 fingers, NOT the pen. That "should" help to stabilize your hand.

The finger nail slides better on the paper than the bare skin of my hand. You can also put a piece of plastic sheet under your fingers to let the finger nails slide even easier.

gud luk

www.SFPenShow.com

Thank you guys!

- Arm writing
Hey there Sebastian! No I don't have another s so that they'll know who is who bro! ac12's right. The point of arm writing is to move the arm. After you've make sure the position and everything is correct, begin with drills and some nice words with letters you want to work on. Breathe. Relax. Move quickly and freely. Don't worry everyone has unstable arm at first. I'm too working on it. Just remember it really works.

- Pens

I'm glad to say I can now adapt to most fountain pens and even non-fountain pens. I enjoy the freshness of using a handful of pens in rotation too. So it's a question more or less of preference. And I'm actually saving up for a custom grind. On the one pen I can write comfortably for hours. I too think that for a thin and light pen, I need to wrap so much around the pen that's tiring; a thick and heavy pen I can't move so well. So while every object can be a weapon, there must be one or two that come to you most naturally isn't it? Looks like it becomes personal. Off I go on the quest of seeking pens.

• 2 months later...

Ernst Bitterman +1

I make my own dip pen holders, and have the habit of slightly flattening off the top where the index finger goes. This helps a lot in terms of writing comfort.

~ Alexander

For me any pen (but the TWSBI Eco and I don't get along either for reasons I don't fully understand). I spent hours doing drills and practicing "arm writing" and now, I don't think I could write with my fingers if I tried. (I don't do the "forefinger on top" method either, although I tried. My forefinger and thumb are about 45* and both semi-on top. My thumb is underneath. It looks like a death grip but it's comfortable for me.